Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. A Nigerian Air Force jet on Wednesday crash landed at Katsina State. This was confirmed by the force in a statement on Wednesday. According to the statement signed by NAF’s spokesman, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola the incident happened as the aircraft was returning from an operation against bandits in Katsina. Meanwhile, no life was lost in the crash.
2. President Muhammadu Buhari has renamed Abuja National Stadium as MKO Abiola Stadium. The president disclosed this at his inaugural speech during the Democracy Day celebration at the Eagle Square in Abuja on Wednesday.
3. Nigeria, on Tuesday, won their first game at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France. The Super Falcons defeated Korea Republic 2-0 in a crucial Group A clash in Grenoble. Kim Doeyon’s own goal gave the African champions the lead in the first-half before Asisat Oshoala sealed victory after the break following a counter-attack.
4. A national leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has congratulated President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan and House of Representatives Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, and their deputies on their election, urging them to see the offices entrusted in them as sacred. Tinubu’s message was contained in a statement on Wednesday by Tunde Rahman, his spokesperson.
5. Police in Ekiti State have confirmed the alleged beheading of a lady in Ilasa Ekiti, Ekiti East Local Government Area of the state on Wednesday, by a herdsman believed to be the deceased’s husband. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Caleb Ikechukwu who confirmed the killing, said the suspect had been arrested while investigation into the incident has commenced.
6. Former governorship aspirant in Rivers State, Senator Magnus Abe has reacted to the absence of former Heads of State and Presidents at the 2019 Democracy Day celebration in Abuja. The former Representative of Rivers South East senatorial district said it was unfortunate that key players in the contemporary history of Nigeria such as Goodluck Jonathan, Ibrahim Babaginda among others, were missing at the event.
7. An explosion has occurred at the Port Harcourt Mall in Rivers State. One person has been reported dead and several others injured. Report says the explosion happened around 5:20pm.
8. The Secretary-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief Uche Okwukwu, has urged the Federal Government to look into other injustices meted out to various groups in the country, especially the Igbo as part of reflections on yesterday’s Democracy Day in Nigeria. He also identified the festering issue of abandoned property after the Nigerian civil war and creation of additional states for the South East as two sore points in national polity that deserved immediate attention.
9. Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State on Wednesday recommended the suspension of 42 primary school teachers for allegedly absconding from their duty posts for two years in Gamborun Ngala local government area in the state. He said that during his tour of primary schools in Gamborun Ngala, he discovered that 62 teachers were registered in the nominal role, whereas only eleven of them were present.
10. Bandits suspected to be Fulani herdsmen on Wednesday attacked passengers on the Ife-Ibadan highway, killing one person. Report claims that the dead man was identified as Mr Adenipekun Ademiju, a worker in the Atakumosa West Local Government Area of Osun. Ademiju was said to have boarded a vehicle at Osu town going to Ibadan when he and other passengers were attacked at Ikire community along the expressway.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- We only enjoy 24hrs power supply when you return home – Daura leaders tells Buhari
- Abuja base lawyer seeks court order to block Buhari from swearing-in ministers
- Our Priority Investments In Infrastructure Paying Off – Buhari
- Police seal venue of #RevolutionNow summit in Lagos (Photos)
- Atiku’s Lawyer, One Other Arraign by EFCC
- Asari Dokubo slams Nnamdi Kanu over attack on Senator Ike Ekweremadu in Germany (video)
- Abia North : Ohuabunwa debunks kalu’s claims over FG’s erosion intervention