Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The immediate past governor of Zamfara State, Abdulaziz Yari, has been expelled from the All Progressives Congress (APC) for allegedly scuttling the party’s chances in Zamfara State. The party recently lost the state to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Also expelled is the Deputy National Chairman (North) of the APC, Lawali Shuaibu for allegedly conniving with Yari to sabotage the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party during the botched primary Elections of the state.
2. The Sultan of Sokoto and President Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Sa’ad III, has declared today, Tuesday as Eid-el-fitr. This follows the sighting of new crescent of Shawwal 1440 After Hijra (AH) of the Islamic calendar in several locations across the country, which marks the end of the month-long fasting.
3. The Imo State House of Assembly, on Monday, suspended the Clerk of the House, Mr Christian Duru. The suspension was announced by the Speaker of the House, Mr Lawman Duruji during proceedings at the floor of the House in Owerri. The House also nullified all appointments made by the immediate past governor, Rochas Okorocha after the 2019 general elections, while also sacking all 27 LGA chairmen and 600 councillors in the state.
4. Nigeria have been eliminated from the ongoing FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland. The Flying Eagles lost 2-1 to fellow Africans, Senegal in a Round of 16 fixture played on Monday night. Paul Aigbogun’s men went into the break two goals down, after Amadou Sagna and Ibrahima Niane struck for the Young Terranga Lions.
5. The National Industrial Court, Abuja, on Monday ordered the reinstatement of Maj.-Gen. Ijioma Nwokoro Ijioma in the Nigerian Army. Ijioma was one of the 38 officers of the Nigerian Army retired in June, 2016. Delivering judgment, Justice Edith Agbakoba, held that there was evidence that due process was not followed in the compulsory retirement of the claimant. She held that he was not informed about his offence and neither was he tried before a court marshal for any offence before his compulsory retirement.
6. The presidency, Monday evening, said that President Muhammadu Buhari has not approved State and Local Government Police. His spokesman, Garba Shehu, in a statement said Buhari only received a report on the reform of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). It said the President requested that the report be studied and a white paper produced within three months.
7. Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano has announced a minor reshufflement in his cabinet. The announcement showed the swapping of office by six Commissioners, who were moved from one ministry to another. According to the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr C.Don Adinuba, the Commissioner for Environment Mr Micheal Okonkwo is now in charge of Housing, while Obi Nwankwo is now in Environment ministry.
8. Boko Haram terrorists have reportedly captured Marte, the headquarters of Marte Local Government Area of Borno State. Report claims that the insurgents stormed the Marte military base, 153 Task Force Battalion, shooting sporadically and in the process razed “everything”.
9. Troops of the Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF, on Monday, neutralised 20 terrorists in the ongoing offensive operations to clear Islamic State terrorists from the Lake Chad Area. Col. Timothy Antigha, the MNJTF’s Chief of Military Public Information, who confirmed this in a statement, said the terrorists were killed by troops operating around Arege, Malkonory and Tumbum Rego general area.
10. The organised labour has dismissed insinuations that the Federal Government was not sincere enough to implement the new minimum wage of N30,000. The President-General of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Mr Bobboi Kaigama, spoke on Monday in Akure during the fifth Triennial Delegates’ Conference of the Ondo State chapter of the union. Kaigama insisted that the new minimum wage as approved by President Muhammadu Buhari was not a scam.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- We only enjoy 24hrs power supply when you return home – Daura leaders tells Buhari
- Our Priority Investments In Infrastructure Paying Off – Buhari
- Abia Governnent,Organised Labour Partners in Progress,Says Ikpeazu
- Buhari Meets With IDPs In Katsina, Assures Of Better Protection
- Abuja base lawyer seeks court order to block Buhari from swearing-in ministers
- Ekweremadu Attack: PDP were the main cheerleaders of IPOB and they owe this country an apology – APC
- Police seal venue of #RevolutionNow summit in Lagos (Photos)
- Abia Govt releases Official Phone lines, says ‘We value your feedback’
- Galaxy Mall: El-Rufai flags off N3.9bn Project
- Abia North : Ohuabunwa debunks kalu’s claims over FG’s erosion intervention