Former Mali captain, Yacouba Sylla, has faulted Gernot Rohr’s decision to include John Obi Mikel in the Super Eagles squad, to the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.
Mikel is participating in his fifth AFCON and is 11 games away from earning his 100th cap for Nigeria.
Sylla claims that other African sides were injecting fresh blood into their squads, while Nigeria have been playing with the same set of players for four years.
Asked to comment on Rohr’s role in Nigeria’s recent performances, Sylla told Get French Football News: “The way I see it is that Nigeria needs some refreshment.
“It’s a team that has been built around the same core for around four years, and they need to change a little and inject some new players.
“With all due respect to him, when you see that John Obi Mikel is still present… You need the motivation to change.
“I understand, some have been in the team a long time and won, it’s becoming a little bit routine while the other teams are progressing.”
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Rohr to drop Akpeyi, Mikel Obi ruled out
- Nigerians in shock as Odion Ighalo confirms his retirement from international football with Nigeria
- AFCON 2019: Pinnick ‘snubs’ Rohr during bronze medal presentation [VIDEO]
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr reveals mistake Super Eagles made, singles out one player
- Real reason NFF cannot sack Rohr revealed
- AFCON 2019: Another head coach sacked after country’s elimination from tournament
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Odemwingie reveals player responsible for Super Eagles’ defeat
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Joseph Yobo reveals why Super Eagles lost 2-1 to Desert Foxes
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Fans react as Super Eagles finish in third-place at AFCON 2019
- AFCON 2019: Odion Ighalo wins 2019 AFCON Golden Boot, See list of scorers