Three Super Eagles’ players, William Troost-Ekong, Oghenekaro Etebo and Daniel Akpeyi, have hinted on how the team made a historic comeback to defeat the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon 3-2 on Saturday, Newzandar reports.
Sports Extra reports that the players in separate interviews after the match,revealed that the half time pep-talk, support of the fans and the tactical changes made by the team’s head coach, Gernot Rohr made the win against heir Cameroonian counterpart possible.
Speaking, Troost-Ekong ssid: “In the second half, the confidence that we had was higher than that of the first half.
“We had to talk to ourselves in the dressing room to create some chances. Later in the game, we showed the speed and pace. We showed that we have what it takes.
On his part, Etebo said the support from the fans helped the players to stage the historic comeback and eventual winning the match.
He said, “Knowing that we have the fans, and their support behind us actually motivated us to continue to play well. I must give kudos to them for standing by us all through.”
Super Eagles goalkeeper, Akpeyi, on his part said, “Kudos to the manager because whatever formation we played helped us. We worked on the formations before coming to the pitch.”
Goals from Stephane Bahoken and Clinton N’Jie of Cameroon in the second half cancelled out Odion Ighalo’s opener in the 19th minute.
However, the Super Eagles overturned the first-half deficit with strikes from Ighalo and Alex Iwobi to give the Nigerian side the quarter-finals ticket.
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Joseph Yobo reveals why Super Eagles lost 2-1 to Desert Foxes
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr reveals mistake Super Eagles made, singles out one player
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Odemwingie reveals player responsible for Super Eagles’ defeat
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Nigerian man destroys his TV after Nigeria lost to Algeria
- Nigerians in shock as Odion Ighalo confirms his retirement from international football with Nigeria
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Fans react as Super Eagles finish in third-place at AFCON 2019
- AFCON 2019: Another head coach sacked after country’s elimination from tournament
- Real reason NFF cannot sack Rohr revealed
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Rohr to drop Akpeyi, Mikel Obi ruled out
- AFCON 2019: Pinnick ‘snubs’ Rohr during bronze medal presentation [VIDEO]