Former Super Eagles forward, Peter Osaze Odemwingie, has pointed out Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez, as the man that caused Nigeria’s defeat in their semi-final clash on Sunday.
Odemwingie described the Manchester City star as “world class” after his last-gasp goal sent his country into the Africa Cup of Nations final.
Mahrez converted a last-minute free-kick in added time, to send Algeria through to the final with a 2-1 win on Sunday.
“Disappointing for Nigeria to lose with the last kick of the game just when we got back into it and few Algerian players looked tired,” Odemwingie tweeted.
“But fair play, they played well and had better chances. Congratulations Algeria. Mahrez is world class.”
William Troost-Ekong’s own goal in the first half had put the North Africans ahead, but Odion Ighalo’s effort from the spot drew both teams level in the 72nd minute.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- ‘Pogba’s heart isn’t fully in it at Man Utd’ – Ince
- Barcelona ready €100m plus Coutinho bid for Neymar as they send delegation to Paris for talks
- I want to make a name for myself at Everton – Iwobi
- I had to walk naked to prove to people I was a girl – Caster Semenya
- FIFA bans Samson Siasia for life over match fixing
- Emilioano Sala and pilot had been exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide before plane crashed