Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has admitted his players were relaxed at the end of the game, when they wanted to force Algeria into extra time in their Africa Cup of Nations semi-final clash, Newzandar reports.
Nigeria had levelled the game through Odion Ighalo’s penalty, after they went behind in the first half.
But with the final kick of the match, Riyad Mahrez struck an unstoppable free-kick past Daniel Akpeyi, to ensure the Desert Foxes will play in the final.
Rohr, speaking to Reuters, hailed Mahrez ass the “genius who made the difference”.
He said: “It was a big fight until the last minute, it was a wonderful match, I think my players wanted it to go to extra time thinking Algeria were more tired.
“We scored an own goal, unlucky, but we have come back every time in this tournament and this time we came back on a penalty. But a wonderful free kick from a football genius made the difference.”
Nigeria will face Tunisia in Wednesday’s third-place encounter at the Al-Salam Stadium in Cairo.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- I want to make a name for myself at Everton – Iwobi
- ‘Pogba’s heart isn’t fully in it at Man Utd’ – Ince
- FIFA bans Samson Siasia for life over match fixing
- Barcelona ready €100m plus Coutinho bid for Neymar as they send delegation to Paris for talks
- Emilioano Sala and pilot had been exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide before plane crashed
- I had to walk naked to prove to people I was a girl – Caster Semenya