Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr has been handed a selection boost ahead of their Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final against South Africa, as captain John Obi Mikel resumed training today.
The midfielder took part in a light training during the team’s recovery session on Sunday morning, seven days after he limped out of Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Madagascar.
It leaves Rohr positive about his chances of playing against Bafana Bafana on Wednesday, July 10.
The German had given a hint about Mikel Obi’s fitness, after the 3-2 win over Cameroon on Saturday.
“Mikel is trying to run already, so we will see if he could be fit one time for [South Africa] clash,” he said.
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Rohr to drop Akpeyi, Mikel Obi ruled out
- AFCON 2019: Pinnick ‘snubs’ Rohr during bronze medal presentation [VIDEO]
- Real reason NFF cannot sack Rohr revealed
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Joseph Yobo reveals why Super Eagles lost 2-1 to Desert Foxes
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr reveals mistake Super Eagles made, singles out one player
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Odemwingie reveals player responsible for Super Eagles’ defeat
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Fans react as Super Eagles finish in third-place at AFCON 2019
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Nigerian man destroys his TV after Nigeria lost to Algeria
- AFCON 2019: Odion Ighalo wins 2019 AFCON Golden Boot, See list of scorers
- AFCON 2019: Another head coach sacked after country’s elimination from tournament