Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, is likely to ring few changes in the defence for their Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final tie against South Africa on Wednesday.
Rohr, while speaking to SportingLife, admitted his defenders struggled at some stages in their Round of 16 win over Cameroon.
The German is now set to review his back four with his assistants, before Nigeria file out against Bafana Bafana in Cairo.
“I will say I agree with you that we had some careless moments against Cameroon that led to the two goals we conceded.
“We are working on our defence and I hope to see an improved performance against South Africa. We may have to make a few changes if that will help solve our problem
“We experienced a difficult start to the AFCON after we lost our two full backs to injuries a day to the first game with Burundi and during the game. We had to try out new players and they didn’t disappoint even though they used to take their places.
“We are going to review that area when I sit with my assistant coaches. We must find a solution before the game with South Africa because we must make a few mistakes against them.
“We are happy that we have our two full backs that got injured back and we shall review if they are in the right condition to stage a return in our next game,” he said.
Rohr is expected to have fullbacks: Jamilu Collins and Shehu Abdullahi, fit for the encounter.
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Rohr to drop Akpeyi, Mikel Obi ruled out
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr reveals mistake Super Eagles made, singles out one player
- AFCON 2019: Another head coach sacked after country’s elimination from tournament
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Fans react as Super Eagles finish in third-place at AFCON 2019
- AFCON 2019: Odion Ighalo wins 2019 AFCON Golden Boot, See list of scorers
- Real reason NFF cannot sack Rohr revealed
- AFCON 2019: Pinnick ‘snubs’ Rohr during bronze medal presentation [VIDEO]
- Nigerians in shock as Odion Ighalo confirms his retirement from international football with Nigeria
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Joseph Yobo reveals why Super Eagles lost 2-1 to Desert Foxes
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Odemwingie reveals player responsible for Super Eagles’ defeat