Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. The Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu has said that there is no security collapse in the country.
According to him, the administration of Muhammadu Buhari disagrees with the prevailing assumption that Nigerians are no longer safe in their country.
2. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Sunday called for probe of the whereabouts of the $1 billion approved in 2017 by President Muhammadu Buhari to address the security challenges in the country.
It also explained that the call for investigation followed the alleged confession by the National Security Adviser, (NSA), Babagana Mongunu, who claimed he was unaware of the whereabouts or disbursement of the $1bn drawn from the Excess Crude Account (ECA).
3. The Presidency has dismissed Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) allegation that the one billion dollars drawn from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) was spent by the Muhammadu Buhari administration on the 2019 general elections.
Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, in a statement in Abuja on Sunday, said “this unverifiable allegation’’ clearly indicated that the PDP was suffering from socio-emotional distress.
4. Armed bandits, Saturday, kidnapped four Turkish expatriates at a local drinking joint in Gbale village, Edu Local Government Area of Kwara state.
The identities of the four abducted Turkish expatriates were given as: Yasin Colk (33); Ergun Yurdakul (35); Senerapal (40); and Seyit Keklik (25), all working for Instabul Concrete Limited in the village.
5. Vice Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the February 23 presidential election, Peter Obi has condemned the incessant killings in Nigerians.
He noted that the targeting of Nigerians by the killers “has a lot to do with the way and manner we as a nation value and treat our own people”.
6. The Islamic Movement in Nigeria (Shiites) has warned President Muhammadu Buhari to stop claiming that the fate of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, lies with the courts not the federal government.
A statement on Sunday signed by the President Media Forum of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Ibrahim Musa wondered how the presidency would make such a claim, when since December 2016, a federal high court in Abuja, presided by Justice Kolawole freed Sheikh El-Zakzaky.
7. The immediate past National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun has described his successor, Adams Oshiomhole, as a disgrace to the party.
Odigie-Oyegun accused Oshiomhole of fueling the crisis in the State chapter of the party and equally alleged that the State’s immediate past Governor is now guilty of godfatherism and anti-party.
8. The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has announced that its officials and a policeman were attacked at the weekend.
A statement on its website said sequel to credible intelligence about drug counterfeiters operating at the Head Bridge Drug Market Onitsha, the agency embarked on a raid of a warehouse involved in concealment and storage of substandard and falsified medical products.
9. The Association of Nigerian Aviation Professionals (ANAP) has called on the government to immediately commence total overhaul of security at airports in order to avoid further breach of security at airports nationwide.
Reacting, the secretary General to ANAP, Comrade Abdulrasaq Saidu said the development not only embarrassed the country , but put Nigerian aviation under global spotlight.’
10. The Lagos State Police Command said it has arrested five armed robbery suspects and 73 suspected cultists.
Spokesman, Bala Elkana, in a statement on Sunday, said that the suspects were picked up at various locations in Lagos following reports on their criminal activities.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- Stop using security agencies to silence Nigerians – Soyinka tells Buhari
- Ambode confirms EFCC raid on his Ikoyi and Epe residence, says ‘no cause for alarm’
- Godswill Akpabio is Minister of Niger Delta, Timipre Silva – Minister of State for Petroleum! See the Full list of Ministers and their portfolios