Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. A Kaduna-based Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Abubakar Mahmoud Gumi, yesterday warned that the current security situation was capable of dividing the country. The Islamic cleric noted the the clashes between farmers and Fulani herdsmen; members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN and the Nigeria Police, may end Nigeria.
2. The Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi, on Saturday wrote an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, warning him of an impending war. The monarch wrote Buhari over the decaying security situation in the country at the moment. In his letter, Oluwo also recommended short and long term solutions to tackle the menace, stressing the need for peace and unity over any kind of knee-jerk decision.
3. Governor Ben Ayade of Cross River State on Saturday congratulated Prince Goddy Jeddy Agba on his nomination as Minister by President Muhammadu Buhari. Ayade described Agba’s nomination as a big plus for Cross River, but warned that the interest of the state must be paramount despite political leanings.
4. A former Security Adviser to the Bayelsa Government, Chief Perekeme Kpodoh, on Saturday dismissed as ‘unacceptable’ the alleged consultation meeting by some leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) with the former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo over who emerges the flag bearer of the party ahead of the Governorship election in the state. Some politicians in the state were angry over claims that the duo of Gov. Seriake Dickson and Former President Goodluck Jonathan met with Chief Olusegun Obasanjo to resolve issue of PDP flag bearer in the state.
5. Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State on Saturday identified poverty and unemployment as major causes of Boko Haram insurgency in the state. Zulum stated this during the inauguration of a micro credit facility and cash disbursement to petty traders, perishable sellers and retailers at Custom Market, Maiduguri.
6. Nigerian veteran sports journalist and retired Director Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Akinloye Oyebanj, died yesterday at the age of 62. His family confirmed that Oyebanji, passed on at National Hospital, Abuja, on Saturday morning after protracted battle with heart failure.
7. The ‘Supreme Being’ of the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, His Holiness, Olumba Olumba Obu, yesterday told Nigerians to approach him for the solution to their problems. The cleric stated this while speaking through His Grace, Archbishop Sam Inok, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, as the BCS marks its annual event tagged ‘Heavenly Father Day of the Unleavened Bread’. He said that Nigeria’s plethora of problems are solvable, but that the country needs divine intervention.
8. The founder of One Love Family, Satguru Maharaj Ji, on Saturday called on anti-graft agencies, such as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to probe the nominees named in President Muhammadu Buhari’s list of prospective Ministers. He said that the ongoing screening by the Senate was not enough to really know the antecedents of those that have been nominated to serve the country.
9. Birnin Gwari Emirate Progressives Union (BEPU) on Saturday stated that killings and abductions on Birnin Gwari Kaduna highway have resumed in full force by armed bandits. Barrister Salisu Haruna, Chairman, BEPU, said on Saturday that criminals opened fire on some travellers along the highway killing one person and injuring others. He lamented that highway cannot be used before 9am and after 9pm on daily basis, while there is no adequate security personnel.
10. Big Brother Naija house was heated up on Saturday night after a minor disagreement between Mercy and Gedoni resulted in the smashing of Big Brother’s mobile phone. Two phones have been made available to #bbnaiaja housemates for contestants to take interesting pictures and make memorable videos of themselves. But things got out of hands after Diane got drunk. Mercy trying to protect her friend, Diane, warned against making video of her drunk friend.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- Stop using security agencies to silence Nigerians – Soyinka tells Buhari
- Godswill Akpabio is Minister of Niger Delta, Timipre Silva – Minister of State for Petroleum! See the Full list of Ministers and their portfolios
- Ambode confirms EFCC raid on his Ikoyi and Epe residence, says ‘no cause for alarm’