Super Eagles striker, Odion Ighalo has confirmed his retirement from international football with Nigeria after winning the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Golden Boot last night, Newzandar reports.
The former Watford attacker finished the tournament with five goals in seven appearances to win the top scorer’s prize in Egypt.
Taking to his Instagram page, he wrote:
This is one of the most difficult career decisions I have had to take. It’s been an amazing 5 years journey, but after due consultation and extensive discussion with my family, I have decided it’s time for me to retire from the National team.
It’s has been an eventful and most memorable opportunity to serve my country with pride, passion and to contribute my quota to the development of our football, the memories would stay with me for a long time and I’m immensely grateful. It is now time to concentrate on Club football and give the younger players chance to learn and grow.
I would love to thank the NFF, coach Gernot Rohr for believing in me against all odds,to my teammates for their professionalism and team spirit without you guys I wouldn’t have achieved so much with this team.
To NIGERIAN football fans all over the world,I SAY THANK YOU, you were always there to cheer us on and our 12th players every time we step into the pitch. I will be watching and cheering the SUPER EAGLES from this side. THANK YOU…..signing OUT.
Ighalo, who plays for Shanghai Shenhua in China retires as the country seventh all-time highest goalscorer in the national team history after 16 strikes in 35 appearances. He started his career with U20 team and later made his senior debut during an international friendly match against Uganda in March 2015.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- FIFA bans Samson Siasia for life over match fixing
- I want to make a name for myself at Everton – Iwobi
- ‘Pogba’s heart isn’t fully in it at Man Utd’ – Ince
- I had to walk naked to prove to people I was a girl – Caster Semenya
- Buhari Meets With IDPs In Katsina, Assures Of Better Protection
- Barcelona ready €100m plus Coutinho bid for Neymar as they send delegation to Paris for talks
- Galaxy Mall: El-Rufai flags off N3.9bn Project
- Newly wedded man commits suicide after his wife allegedly confessed to be pregnant for another man
- Abia Governnent,Organised Labour Partners in Progress,Says Ikpeazu
- Female Boko Haram suicide bomber kills six people in Chad