Real Madrid have confirmed that Manager Zinedine Zidane’s brother, Farid, has died at the age of 54.
Zidane left the club’s training camp in Montreal on Friday due to personal reasons, with Madrid announcing he was to be absent for an unspecified period.
The squad held a minute’s silence ahead of training on Saturday, after being made aware of Farid’s death, which followed a lengthy battle with illness.
Real Madrid confirmed Farid’s passing on their website, with a statement announcing the minute of silence.
“All members of the Real Madrid first-team squad held a minute’s silence ahead of training in Montreal following the passing of Farid Zidane, the brother of our coach, Zinedine Zidane,” the statement read.
Zidane’s assistant, David Bettoni will be in charge of the first team until the head coach returns.
- Transfer: James Rodriguez’s new club finally confirmed
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Nigerian man destroys his TV after Nigeria lost to Algeria
- AFCON 2019: Coach sacked after elimination from tournament
- AFCON 2019: Pinnick ‘snubs’ Rohr during bronze medal presentation [VIDEO]
- AFCON 2019: Another head coach sacked after country’s elimination from tournament
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Odemwingie reveals player responsible for Super Eagles’ defeat
- AFCON 2019: Algeria defeat Senegal to lift trophy
- Nigeria vs Tunisia: Rohr to drop Akpeyi, Mikel Obi ruled out
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr reveals mistake Super Eagles made, singles out one player
- Real reason NFF cannot sack Rohr revealed