Femi Falana, a human rights lawyer has expressed disappointment that the convener of #RevolutionNow protests, Omoyele Sowore, has not been arraigned almost three days after he was arrested, Newzandar reports.
Sowore was arrested in the early hours of Saturday, August 3rd by operatives of the Department of State Services in Lagos. The state agency said Sowore was arrested on account of the #RevolutionNow protest which he had spearheaded.
In a chat with Punchng on Tuesday, August 6th, Falana said he expected Sowore to have been arraigned on Monday because, by law, a suspect should not be kept in detention without arraignment within 48 hours of arrest.
When asked what he would do on account of the extended detention of the human rights activist, Falana said, “I have sent lawyers to the DSS as of Tuesday morning and I’m awaiting a feedback.”
Falana, who disagreed with the Police that Sowore was liable to be prosecuted for treason for allegedly planning to overthrow a democratically-elected government through a revolution, said arrangements had been made to defend the activist if he is arraigned.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- Osun State declares public holiday for traditional worshippers
- Reno Omokri shares video of himself dancing as he mocks Wole Soyinka
- Boko Haram burns down 73 houses in Borno
- Nigeria’s population explosion is frightening – Buhari
- Kenyan Bishop snatches man’s wife after presiding over their wedding
- Toyin Lawani exposes DMs old men sent to her 14-year-old daughter as she calls them out for being pedophiles
- Igbo community in Germany calls IPOB a humiliation of the Igbo race in a foreign land as it apologises to Ekweremadu