Arsenal manager, Unai Emery, has claimed the proposed deal for Lille forward Nicolas Pepe is “not closed” yet.
Lille president, Gerard Lopez, on Wednesday said Pepe’s move to Arsenal for £72.8million (€80m/$88m) would soon be completed.
But Emery remains cautious over the Ivory Coast international’s future.
“He played here in Angers a few years ago, and then in Lille. He has progressed as a player.
“We are speaking about a lot of players, we want to select on players who can really help us, give us big performances and improve our squad. We have different options. This one at the moment is not closed, but he is one we are following.
“We are working on the possibilities to sign players. We signed [Dani] Ceballos, and we have a possibility with Pepe. We are looking for the possibility to improve, but only if we can take more steps in the squad.
“Our target is to sign another player if he can really, really improve us. Our target is continuing to sign another player if we can,” Emery told reporters after a pre-season friendly against the Ligue 1 side.
Also Read: 👇🏾
- I want to make a name for myself at Everton – Iwobi
- ‘Pogba’s heart isn’t fully in it at Man Utd’ – Ince
- Barcelona ready €100m plus Coutinho bid for Neymar as they send delegation to Paris for talks
- FIFA bans Samson Siasia for life over match fixing
- I had to walk naked to prove to people I was a girl – Caster Semenya
- Emilioano Sala and pilot had been exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide before plane crashed