Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) on Monday confirmed that there was a minor earth tremor in the Bwari Area of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Mr. Imam Kaka, a Deputy Director in the agency and head of the Geophysics Department who confirmed the development to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja said officials of the agency had visited Bwari to evaluate the situation.
Kaka said that although vibrations had occurred in the area, there was no visible crack.
He urged residents of the area not to panic.
“We found out that there was a little tremor recorded by our equipment dated January 12, 2020, and it occurred around 5.20 p.m.
“On that basis, we mobilized and went to the locality in the Bwari Area Council of the FCT.
“Certainly, the people in the area were agitated, but the tremor was minor, it did not affect their structures, we were able to look at the geology of the structure.
“We will look at the geology of the structure with other geologists to see what really happened geologically,” he said.
Kaka said that officials of the agency were able to calm residents of the area, telling them that it was usual to feel the small tremors.
He said such minor tremors were not considered serious in areas where earthquakes were rampant.
DAILY POST recalls that the agency had on Saturday, dismissed reports from an unidentified Professor from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun, that there was earth tremor in Abaji and Gwagwalada areas of the FCT.
Kaka had said that the agency’s equipment had not recorded any such occurrence.
“We have a station in the University of Abuja in Gwagwalada, and the officer in charge who heads the University’s Physics Department said there was no such record.
“We even questioned people around Abaji and Gwagwalada and there was no report of such, unlike before when we will receive calls from people when such thing happened,” he said.
(Source: Daily Post)
Most recently posted
- EPL: Man United Chief Executive Ed Woodward’s Home Attacked By Fans (Video)
- The Biden family’s Ukraine games cried out for investigation
- Go on a tear-jerker road trip with ‘Uncle Frank’
- When it comes to family life, Hollywood should preach what it practices
- Shaq in tears while remembering Kobe Bryant on TNT: ‘Lost a little brother’
- White House impeachment lawyer to Dems: Let’s go to the videotape!
- ‘Nigeria Would Have Been 100 Times Worse If God Hadn’t Installed Buhari’ – Popular Apostle
- Lev Parnas asks judge to let him attend impeachment trial courtesy of Chuck Schumer
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: More buildings for demolition over interchange, flyovers
- Prince Andrew ignored pleas for help with probe from Jeffrey Epstein accuser, Gloria Allred says
- NDDC: Buhari u-turns, says new board ready after probe
- New York judges’ discretion on bail was never the problem
- NYPD union sues to undo voter-approved police oversight
- Suspect arrested in grisly killing of Brooklyn philanthropist
- These are the Yankees under heaviest scrutiny in 2020
- SUNY, CUNY coaches and doctors top state pay list
- Group kicks against planned inclusion of Lagos in proposed amendment of NDDC Act
- NUPENG urges Chevron to pay pending benefits, as recalled members resume
- Convocation of sovereign national confab before the 2023 general elections (3)
- Bernie Sanders’ profitable public service and other commentary