A 22-year-old man has been arrested after pushing his elderly landlord so violently down the front stairs of his building in a dispute over rent that the man died.
The incident occurred in the Corona neighborhood of Queens, New York City, on Sunday at around 2 p.m. when 71-year-old Edgar Moncayo went to the home that he owned in the 3200 block of 102nd Street to confront his 22-year old tenant, Alex Garces, over missed rental payments.
“The guy pushed my dad so furiously that my dad flew from the front door to the concrete of the sidewalk,” Moncayo’s daughter Cristina Moncayo said in an interview with ABC News’ New York station WABC.
“We didn’t expect this to ever happen. It is like a dream, you know, a nightmare,” said Mocayo’s grandson. “He was a great grandfather actually. A hard working man who had three daughters, several grandkids.”
According to the Moncayo family, Garces had been causing problems and threatening to leave the property without paying anything at all. Garces had also allegedly missed paying his rent for at least one month when Edgar Moncayo approached him over the weekend.
Moncayo’s grandson told WABC that his grandfather had even reduced Garces’ rent from $400 to $200 a month to help the tenant.
When authorities arrived on Sunday they found the 71-year-old victim lying at the bottom of the staircase in front of his home unconscious and bleeding from the head.
Moncayo was taken to Elmhurst Hospital in critical condition but was pronounced dead a short time later.
“I was very surprised because I saw him yesterday around 1 o’clock in the afternoon. He was alive after I’d come back from church,” said neighbor Sergio Luna.
Moncayo’s daughter said that her father’s organs will be donated.
Garces is currently under arrest at the 115th precinct and is waiting to be taken to central booking.
Most recently posted
- Australian scientists first to grow coronavirus in a lab outside China
- Weed company issues mea culpa for bogarting Alicia Key’s Grammys number
- Feds move to stop US telecom companies from carrying foreign robocalls
- Is his drinking the reason I’m not pregnant?
- US health officials directing $105 million to fight coronavirus outbreak
- St. John’s Big East struggles continue against No. 8 Villanova
- Union Bank to sell UK subsidiary
- Kobe Bryant tragedy leaves Los Angeles in limbo: ‘Still numb’
- RJ Barrett honors Kobe Bryant by ditching ‘Maple Mamba’ nickname
- Bernie Sanders imitator needed for feature-length film about politician
- TAJBank opens National Assembly branch
- The feds can’t save New York from the insane ‘no-bail’ law
- Kobe Bryant’s helicopter dropped at 2,000 feet per minute in ‘high-energy’ crash
- Ex-Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher blasts teammates who testified against him
- EPL: Man United Chief Executive Ed Woodward’s Home Attacked By Fans (Video)
- Trump plan for an Israel-Palestinian settlement is most realistic in decades
- The Biden family’s Ukraine games cried out for investigation
- Go on a tear-jerker road trip with ‘Uncle Frank’
- When it comes to family life, Hollywood should preach what it practices
- Shaq in tears while remembering Kobe Bryant on TNT: ‘Lost a little brother’