Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo has disclosed that the Federal Government will continue to implement game-changing infrastructure projects around the country to connect the nation’s economic zones and drive economic development.
The Vice President also said most of the signature projects of the administration, including the Lagos-Kano Rail, Mambilla Hydro Plant, Second Niger Bridge, amongst others, would be completed during the second term of the Buhari administration.
Osinbajo in a statement made available to DAILY POST by his Spokesman, Laolu Akan, stated this in Kano State on Monday during a one-day working visit to the State to commission some notable infrastructural projects by the Governor Abdullahi Ganduje administration.
Speaking at an interactive session with leaders and stakeholders at the State Government House, the Vice President noted that one of the administrations signature project, Lagos-Kano rail, has gone now as far as Abeokuta.
He said there is hope that the Lagos-Kano rail will be completed in the shortest possible time.
“We expect that the infrastructure projects of the Federal Government, including the Mambilla Hydropower plant, the Second Niger Bridge and several others will be completed in our second term. We hope we are able to complete as many as possible before the end of our term.”
Speaking further on the position of the Federal Government in providing the necessary infrastructure to drive economic development, Prof. Osinbajo said infrastructure was central to the agenda of the Buhari administration in all sectors.
“There is no question at all that for President Muhammadu Buhari, infrastructure is key. Infrastructure is key to anything that we intend to do. It is key to resolving most of the pending issues that confront our country, especially the economic issues.
“We need to be able to connect the economic zones of Nigeria. We need to be able to connect the South, the South-South, South-East, the South-West to the North. All the zones of this country have to be connected in order to realise the economic objectives that we set for ourselves.”
“In a few years, as a matter of fact, in two budget circles, we invested about N2.7 trillion on capital alone, which is the highest in the history of the country despite the fact that we are earning almost 60% less than previous governments.”
Prof. Osinbajo also said addressing poverty problems in the country remains one of the major issues adding that the Federal Government under President Buhari is focused and committed to reversing the situation significantly.
Referring to Governor Ganduje who had spoken earlier on the same subject, the VP observed that “poverty, as the governor pointed out, remains one of the major issues that confront Nigerians. And the President again on June 12, made a declaration that it is the intention of government to take 10 million people out of poverty every year till the next decade, that is taking 100 million people in ten years, out of poverty.
“Now, that may sound ambitious but I must say to you that we are extremely committed towards achieving it and we are extremely focused.
This explains why we launched the Social Investment Programmes.
“Any country of our size that does not have a social investment programme or establish a social safety net for its people will be acting irresponsibly. That is the reason why we launched the programme.”
- US lab unveils portable 5-minute COVID-19 test
- Coronavirus: All 51 Italian Doctors Who Tested Positive, Dead
- Oshiomhole tests negative for coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Enugu State Close Its Borders, Markets After Recording First Case
- COVID-19: Oyo Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew, Closes Markets
- Quarterback Jordan Love may become Patriots NFL Draft 2020 wild card
- BREAKING: Explosion destroys 100 houses, schools, churches in Akure
- Explosion Rocks Akure, Destroys School, Church Others
- Corona criminals’ prey on Europe’s virus fears
- Civil Rights leader Joseph Lowery dead at 98
- Explosion Hits Akure; 100 Residential Buildings, School, Churches Destroyed
- Cycling movie ‘Breaking Away’ is a sports classic
- COVID-19: China Donates Medical Equipment To Nigeria
- Nigeria is not a joke because of one man – Rapper, Vector tackles FFK, Imam of Peace and northerners
- Traditional Ruler Tells Govt To Engage Native Doctors Against COVID-19
- Makinde Sacks Aide Over False Information On Social Media
- Update: Police officers caught on camera destroying goods of traders in Lagos have been identified and subjected to disciplinary proceedings
- Spain boss Enrique not ruling out Barcelona return
- COVID-19: US Set To Evacuate Citizens In Nigeria
- Civil war, great flood looming – Apostle Okikijesu makes fresh prophecy on Nigeria
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient