Mauricio Pochettino’s next job does involve La Liga.
But it’s not as the Barcelona head coach despite strong rumours linking him with the post following the club’s decision to part company with Ernesto Valverde on Monday evening.
Instead, the former Tottenham Hotspur boss has signed up to be part of a launch event for La Liga TV in London later this week, as reported by The Associated Press.
As mentioned above, Barcelona opted to sack Valverde despite having won back-to-back league titles and the Copa del Rey in 2017/18.
Ultimately the Spanish tactician’s tenure at the club was tainted by his failures in the Champions League – after throwing away a 3-0 first leg lead over Liverpool in last season’s semi-final.
And the La Liga leaders have moved swiftly to bring in a replacement.
‘FC Barcelona and Quique Setien have reached an agreement for their incorporation as coach of the first football team until June 30, 2022,’ a statement reads.
This development can be seen as fantastic news for Manchester United.
The Red Devils have long been linked with appointing Pochettino should they opt to part company with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and it would appear that Barcelona are no longer a threat.
With that said, Solskjaer’s job is seemingly being safe with the board at Old Trafford for the long haul.
However, Pochettino continues to be regularly linked with the job, and a further downturn in results would only see that speculation increase.
Because of ties to Espanyol – Barcelona’s fierce rivals – Pochettino has ruled out the possibility of ever taking charge at the Camp Nou.
“I would never train Barcelona or Arsenal because I am tied to Tottenham. I grew up at Newell’s and I would never train Rosario Central,” he said.
“This is my decision. I would prefer to work on my farm in Argentina than to go and work in certain places.”
Most recently posted
- Knicks can’t make it two in row as Kobe Bryant honored again
- Twitter comes for Dua Lipa over post-Grammys strip club visit
- Louis C.K. greeted with standing ovation for surprise set at fundraiser
- Japanese fashion house Kenzo is opening a new store in Soho
- Macklowe, Welsh to develop controversial Key Food project in Park Slope
- Alibaba calls out feminists, says they should stop misleading other women
- MTN to invest $1.6bn in Nigerian operations
- Kyrie Irving remains ‘tremendously affected’ by Kobe Bryant loss
- McConnell says GOP lacks votes to block witnesses in Trump impeachment trial
- Aston Villa vs Leicester City: Revitalised Iheanacho Sends Internet Agog
- Kobe Bryant’s pilot also worked for Clippers star Kawhi Leonard
- Kobe Bryant ‘turned on the magic’ in newly revealed high school footage
- Winning Grammy award would have ruined Burna Boy – HR expert
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: FG Pledges Speedy Completion, Compensation Payments
- Russell Simmons posts yoga pics while Sundance doc starring accuser gains steam
- Washington Post reinstates Felicia Sonmez after Kobe Bryant rape case tweet
- Offa Robbery: Prosecution Witness No-show Stalls Hearing
- Debra Messing will only loan her jewelry out to her son’s (theoretical) fiancée
- Nollywood: Why I went shirtless to beg for help — Ernest Asuzu
- Australian scientists first to grow coronavirus in a lab outside China