Nigerian Stock Exchange
By Peter Egwuatu
The equities market on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, NSE ended today’s session Thursday in the green as the All Share Index, ASI gained 45 bases points, bps or 0.5 to settle at 29,591.29 points.
The day’s activities halted the two days losing streak experienced in the market as gains by BUA Cement, Seplat Petroleum, Dangote Cement among others pushed the market on the green.
Specifically, BUA Cement gained 216 bps, SEPLAT 204 bps and Dangote Cement 122bps. Though, profit taking were recorded in UBA leading to a decline of -114bps, MTN Nigeria -94bps and Guaranty Trust Bank -31bps.
Activity level indicated by volume and value traded continued to trade in opposite directions as total volume diminished by 37.62 percet while value traded increased by 111.85 percent.
SEPLAT, MTN Nigeria and Guaranty Trust Bank were the most traded stocks by value, accounting for 81.76 percent of total turnover. Market breadth for the day closed flat as 14 gainers and decliners emerged.
Sector performance remained bullish as four Index recorded gains. The Industrial Goods Index garnered 1.9 percent and Oil & Gas Index 1. 5 percent led the bulls, on the back of price appreciation in Dangote Cement 1.2 percent, BUA Cement 2.2 percent, SEPLAT 2.0 percent and Oando 4.3 percent.
Similarly, gains were recorded in the Consumer Goods 0.4 percent and Banking 0.1 percent Indices, due to buying interest in Unilever Nigeria 8.0 percent, Access Bank 2.5 percent and Sterling Bank 3.2 percent.
Conversely, price decline in WAPIC Insurance -7.9 percent drove the Insurance -1.8 percent Index down.
Investor sentiments strengthened as measured by market breadth as 14 stocks advanced against 14 decliners. CAP garnered 10.0 percent, Unilever 8.1 percent and Chams 6.5 percent to lead the gainers chart while Linkage Assurance (-8.3 percent ), WAPIC Insurance -4.5 percent and Honeywell Flour -7.7 percent ) led the losers chart
Reacting analysts at Afrinvest Research said: “We expect gains in the market to persist in the next trading session, on the back of renewed buying interest.”
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:
- About 41 APC chieftains defect to PDP
- Europa League: What Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves said about Odion Ighalo
- Mercy Celebrates Diane With Adorable Birthday Message
- PDP declares position on Imo suit, reveals Bayelsa gov Diri’s next move
- EPL: Michael Owen predicts winner of Manchester United vs Everton
- New Emirate Creation: Tofa led Kano elders reconciliation move suffers set back
- See What Fani-Kayode Said As Deadly Coronavirus Extends To Nigeria
- Champions League: Sergio Ramos gives Real Madrid two options after losing to Man City
- Tacha Reunites With BBNaija Stars; Receives Advice From Ramsey Noah (Video)
- ‘I Can’t Tell Whether You Have Sense Or Not’ – Police Officer Replies Man (Video)
- ONDO 2020: Akeredolu, Jegede throws jabs over road construction
- 2023: APC replies Makinde, says it‘ll take more than still-born unity among gangsters to take Lagos
- EDO 2020: Two South-west govs back Obaseki on plots to remove Oshionhole
- Benefits Of Having Two Or More Wives, By Adamu Garba
- Okowa mourns Okpuno, Delta-born multi-billionaire
Most recently posted
- Coronavirus: Dr Osundare makes clarifications on Chloroquine ‘cure’
- Check Out Full Fixtures Of UEFA Europa League Last 16
- Boko Haram killing of Christians: ‘Stop weeping like a child, take action’ – HURIWA dares Buhari
- Anxiety in Edo over coronavirus detection as screening begins at Benin airport
- Cuomo urges Mike Pence to let New York handle coronavirus testing
- Roman Polanski set to skip the French Oscars because of protests
- Atiku Tells Buhari What To Do About Outbreak Of Coronavirus In Nigeria
- Mysterious ‘Dúi dog’ looks like a cat-dog hybrid
- Amazon pulls the plug on coronavirus price gougers
- Tyler Cameron cancels ‘GMA’ appearance following ‘family emergency’ with mom
- NYPD yanks couple off train over reports of gun, video shows
- Mosogar stakeholders fault college of education’s advert for provost
- Kylie Jenner sports ex Travis Scott’s new sneakers before anyone else
- Mike Bloomberg says he’s running for president until ‘the bitter end’
- Newcastle Ban Handshakes To Combat Spread Of Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: WHO warns, says situation delicate, disease may reach all countries
- Covid 19 : FAAN, Port Health intensify screening at Lagos Airport
- PDP Blames Buhari For Outbreak Of Coronavirus In Nigeria
- 6-year-old tennis star can’t stop going viral
- Astronomers spot biggest explosion in history of the universe