The end is nigh.
The Doomsday Clock has never been closer to striking midnight. The metaphorical measure of how close humanity is to extinction has been maintained by nonprofit group Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists since 1947. This year, the group says they’re moving the clock closer to midnight than ever before — just 100 seconds away, down from two minutes.
“The iconic Doomsday Clock symbolizing the gravest perils facing humankind is now closer to midnight than at any point since its creation in 1947,” reads a press release from the group, whose board of sponsors includes 13 Nobel Laureates. “Humanity continues to face two simultaneous existential dangers — nuclear war and climate change — that are compounded by a threat multiplier, cyber-enabled information warfare, that undercuts society’s ability to respond.”
Bulletin also names the dire erosion of international security and political infrastructure as motives for their decision to give the human race just 100 seconds on the clock.
While the Doomsday Clock didn’t move in 2019 and remained at two minutes, it’s been slowly moving closer to midnight in prior years. It was set forward by 30 seconds in 2018, landing at two minutes before midnight. The clock was adjusted in 2017 to 2 ½ minutes to midnight from its setting of three minutes to midnight the year before.
“We are now expressing how close the world is to catastrophe in seconds — not hours, or even minutes,” says Bulletin President and CEO Rachel Bronson.
In a separate statement, the group begs world leaders not to “retreat from arms control” and create a nuclear reality.
“The world is sleepwalking its way through a newly unstable nuclear landscape,” they write.
The safest the world has ever been, according to the clock, was 1991. With the end of the Cold War, Bulletin leaders set the clock to 17 minutes to midnight.
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:
- About 41 APC chieftains defect to PDP
- Europa League: What Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves said about Odion Ighalo
- Mercy Celebrates Diane With Adorable Birthday Message
- PDP declares position on Imo suit, reveals Bayelsa gov Diri’s next move
- New Emirate Creation: Tofa led Kano elders reconciliation move suffers set back
- EPL: Michael Owen predicts winner of Manchester United vs Everton
- See What Fani-Kayode Said As Deadly Coronavirus Extends To Nigeria
- Champions League: Sergio Ramos gives Real Madrid two options after losing to Man City
- Tacha Reunites With BBNaija Stars; Receives Advice From Ramsey Noah (Video)
- ABIA: Market women protest N18, 000 levy
- ‘I Can’t Tell Whether You Have Sense Or Not’ – Police Officer Replies Man (Video)
- ONDO 2020: Akeredolu, Jegede throws jabs over road construction
- 2023: APC replies Makinde, says it‘ll take more than still-born unity among gangsters to take Lagos
- EDO 2020: Two South-west govs back Obaseki on plots to remove Oshionhole
- Benefits Of Having Two Or More Wives, By Adamu Garba
Most recently posted
- Kylie Jenner sports ex Travis Scott’s new sneakers before anyone else
- Mike Bloomberg says he’s running for president until ‘the bitter end’
- Newcastle Ban Handshakes To Combat Spread Of Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: WHO warns, says situation delicate, disease may reach all countries
- Covid 19 : FAAN, Port Health intensify screening at Lagos Airport
- PDP Blames Buhari For Outbreak Of Coronavirus In Nigeria
- 6-year-old tennis star can’t stop going viral
- Astronomers spot biggest explosion in history of the universe
- Lady Gaga’s best work may be on way after ‘Stupid Love’
- Metropolitan Correctional Center on lockdown amid search for possibly smuggled gun
- NYC jail on lockdown amid search for possibly smuggled gun
- Rob Kardashian loses emergency motion for primary custody of daughter Dream
- Ronnie Ortiz-Magro wins small victory, 2 charges dropped in domestic violence case
- How to battle Coronavirus, Atiku counsels Buhari
- Diamond Princess passenger is reportedly first Brit to die of coronavirus
- Alleged attack on DAILY POST staff: How I was deceived by Onuh – Witness, Alfred Apochi
- Coronavirus: Nigeria Disburses Over N690m To Combat Killer Virus
- Lewandowski, Mertens named in UEFA Champions League team ahead of Messi, Ronaldo
- China’s rover digs beneath the surface on far side of the moon
- PDP Will Shock APC To Win Lagos In 2023, Makinde Says