By Dirisu Yakubu
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Thursday said the damning 2019 corruption index report on Nigeria by Transparency International, TI, is a vindication of its stand that corruption has worsened under President Muhammadu Buhari and the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.
The party said it is a national embarrassment “that under an administration by the same leader who wears the medal as ‘African Union, AU, Anti-Corruption Champion,’ and whose government boasts of zero-tolerance for corruption, our nation now ranks as fourth most corrupt country in West African and one of the leading most corrupt countries of the world.”
In a statement issued by its spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, the PDP chided President’s Buhari’s handling of the economy since he came to power in 2015.
The statement read: “The TI report, which shows our country dropping to a malodorous 26, from the already disapproving 27 points it maintained since 2017, has further exposed the Buhari administration and the APC as merely posturing as saints and hounding innocent Nigerians with fake anti-corruption war, while engaged in unprecedented looting of our national resources.
“It indeed speaks volume that the Buhari administration and the APC that came into power in 2015 on an anti-corruption mantra, has ended up becoming the most corrupt in the history of our dear nation. Moreover, the fact that the APC and its government, with their numerous megaphones, have remained silent over the report is also very revealing.
“By this TI report, Nigerians are no longer in doubt as to why our nation has been plagued with worsening economic hardship, poverty and hunger, dilapidated infrastructure and devastating retrogression in critical sectors such as health, power, education, transport, agriculture among others in the last four years while APC leaders, their families and cronies, gloat in affluence to the chagrin of Nigerians.
“Nigerians can recall that our party has since been challenging Buhari Presidency and the APC to come clean, account for the over N14 trillion allegedly stolen by APC leaders from government coffers in the last four years.
“This includes the stolen N9 trillion detailed in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC leaked memo; the N1.1 trillion worth of crude allegedly stolen by certain APC leaders using 18 unregistered vessels; the over N1.4 trillion stolen from shady oil subsidy deals as well as monies stolen from sensitive government agencies including the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS), National Health Insurance Scheme, NHIS, National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, among others.
“It is now clear that the Buhari administration and the APC have not only failed in their boasts to tackle corruption and insecurity but have ended up economically despoiling our nation and worsening our security challenges.
“The fact remains that the Buhari Presidency and the APC cannot controvert these damning facts. The only thing left for them is to apologize to Nigerians and get ready for their place in the dustbin of history as the worst government and political party ever in the history of our nation,” The PDP spokesperson said.
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:
- About 41 APC chieftains defect to PDP
- Europa League: What Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves said about Odion Ighalo
- PDP declares position on Imo suit, reveals Bayelsa gov Diri’s next move
- New Emirate Creation: Tofa led Kano elders reconciliation move suffers set back
- Champions League: Sergio Ramos gives Real Madrid two options after losing to Man City
- See What Fani-Kayode Said As Deadly Coronavirus Extends To Nigeria
- EPL: Michael Owen predicts winner of Manchester United vs Everton
- Nigerian father who gave his toddler sons shisha pipe, threatens to sue linda Ikeji for tarnishing his image [Video]
- Mercy Celebrates Diane With Adorable Birthday Message
- Saraki’s aide, Hon Duntoye, leads others to join APC in Kwara
- Tacha Reunites With BBNaija Stars; Receives Advice From Ramsey Noah (Video)
- ‘I Can’t Tell Whether You Have Sense Or Not’ – Police Officer Replies Man (Video)
- ONDO 2020: Akeredolu, Jegede throws jabs over road construction
- ABIA: Market women protest N18, 000 levy
- 2023: APC replies Makinde, says it‘ll take more than still-born unity among gangsters to take Lagos
Most recently posted
- Giants’ Jeff Samardzija has Derek Jeter jokes for Yankees trade rumors
- Coronavirus: PDP berates Buhari, seeks concerted effort, adoption of Ebola intervention strategy
- Italian man with Coronavirus has never visited our office – Saipem
- How coronavirus benefits Netflix and other ‘in-home’ services
- “Disposable Face Mask Now Costs N15k, No Longer N750” – Ifu Ennada Cries Out (Video)
- BBNaija Diane Produces First Movie ‘Bayi'(Photo)
- Atiku Advises FG On How To Tackle Coronavirus
- Apple’s China factories close to resuming full production, Tim Cook says
- Coronavirus in Nigeria: Atiku counsels Buhari
- Nollywood Drama: Etinosa Drags Victoria Inyama On Instagram
- It is suicidal, criminal to pay sacked Chairmen, Councillors N7bn – AD Guber candidate, Alao warns Makinde
- Diane Releases Stunning Photo To Celebrate 24th Birthday
- Coronavirus: Lagos Moves To Identify All Contacts Made By Italian Man Since He Arrived Nigeria
- Netflix premieres debut ‘Made-in-Africa’ original show
- Coronavirus: Lagosians need not fear — Obasa
- Ruling party retains sweeping majority in Cameroon
- Keown blasts Arsenal duo, questions strange Arteta decision
- Hitler’s operatic efforts go on display in Austria
- Klopp praises Liverpool’s ‘fighting’ qualities
- Mercy Celebrates Diane With Adorable Birthday Message