Five members of staff of Okomu Oil plc, in Edo State were on Friday evening burnt to death in a road crash that occurred along Benin/Iguobazuwa road, in Ovia South-West local government area of the State.
The accident occurred when the bus conveying the victims from Extension 2 farm of the firm to the head office of the company at Okomu community, rammed into a lorry that crossed the road.
Two others were said to have sustained serious injuries in the ghastly accident and are said to be currently receiving treatment.
According to an eyewitness, Max Iyase, they could not render assistance to the victims, as the flame was ferocious. He identified one of the victims as Elvis Odia, a married father of two.
“Yesterday experience on the road was so horrific as I drove into the scene of the accident along Benin Iguobazuwa road which had many people burning inside the vehicles. I met a crowd of commuters pulling over a distance from the spot of the burning vehicles by Iguomo village, before Ovia river. My wife and I quickly ran to join others trying to rescue victims from the vehicles, but it was too late. The flame was so ferocious that no one dared to go closer. I supported in salvaging one SUV from being consumed after the owner jumped out and escaped to save his life. We succeeded in removing the car and putting out the fire that had barely just burnt part of it.
People burnt beyond recognition inside the bus while some were burnt laying dead on the ground.
I never knew who the people were until I got home later in the day and received a call that some of them were our relatives and some friends travelling down from Benin to Okomu. I could not believe my ears until so many people came and confirmed the story.
The accident had resulted from two vehicle on head collision. There was a bush fire burning blazingly on both sides of the road. The smoke was thick and another timber lorry(agbegi) was in front of the tipper lorry yet with heavy smoke bluring the visibility. As the tipper lorry tried to move away from near the bush side to the centre of the road because of the fire, the oncoming bus conveying the passengers was also fogged by the heaving emission of the timber lorry. They then had a head on collision and fire sparked and picked up instantly, killing all occupant except one.
May their souls rest in peace. Amen.”
Meanwhile, an official of the company who confirmed the death of their staff, described the incident as sad day for workers in the company.
“We are yet to confirm the number of our personnel involved but we have confirmed five. Two are in the hospital,” he said.
- Coronavirus: I Struggled With Breathing – Paulo Dybala
- Coronavirus: Earmark N250 billion for jobless Nigerians – Olusegun Bamgbose tells Buhari
- COVID-19: Cross River Government to seal churches with more than five members
- COVID-19: Enugu govt confirms 2 positive cases
- (BREAKING) COVID-19: 84 persons of interest identified in Oyo as curfew begins
- Lagos lawmaker empowers 500 women in skill acquisition
- Mets’ Steven Matz staying ready for time when baseball returns
- Video, photos as Akure explodes
- COVID-19: NPA Suspends Demurrage Charges
- Every contact leaves a trace: The basis of forensics
- COVID-19: Keep your homes clean, WAPA tells women
- Edo FA hails Obaseki for VAR introduction
- Giants relying on James Bradberry to fill leadership void
- Covid-19: Burna Boy Speaks On The Plights Of Average Nigerians As The Nation Locks Down
- US lab unveils portable 5-minute COVID-19 test
- Coronavirus: All 51 Italian Doctors Who Tested Positive, Dead
- Oshiomhole tests negative for coronavirus
- Coronavirus: US Govt set to evacuate citizens in Nigeria
- Coronavirus: Enugu State Close Its Borders, Markets After Recording First Case
- COVID-19: Oyo Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew, Closes Markets
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient