A gospel singer who was found guilty in 2015 of plotting to kill Rwanda President Paul Kagame, has been found dead in a police cell, authorities confirmed on Monday.
Accoding to a police statement, Kizito Mihigo, 38, who was known as a devout Catholic, had committed suicide.
Mihigo was arrested in 2014 and sentenced in 2015 after he was convicted of complicity to overthrow the government and conspiracy to form alliances with groups to destabilise the country. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison for offences including the formation of a criminal gang, conspiracy to murder, and conspiracy against the established government or the president.
However, in 2018, he was granted a presidential pardon by Kagame.
Last week, he was rearrested over what police said was a violation of the terms of his release by trying to leave the country without permission and attempting to bribe Rwandans who spotted him trying to cross into neighbouring Burundi.
Police spokesperson John Bosco Kabera said in the statement: “He had been in a police cell for three days as police investigated why he was crossing the border illegally and cases of bribery.”
Kabera added that Mihigo was visited by family members and his lawyer during his detention.
“Investigations have begun to ascertain why he committed suicide,” Kabera said.
Mihigo has been described by many as Rwanda’s biggest cultural icon and a devout Roman Catholic known for songs promoting healing and forgiveness. News of his death has been met with disbelief.
“Mihigo was somebody who is down to earth and loved by many. News about his death is a shock to the country,” fan William Murinzi said.
Mihigo is not the first public figure to die in mysterious circumstances under police custody in Rwanda. Last year, a former director-general in Kagame’s office was found dead in a military jail after being sentenced to 10 years for corruption.
“Too often, sensitive cases in Rwanda result in mysterious deaths or disappearances,” said Lewis Mudge, Central Africa Director at Human Rights Watch, according to The Associated Press news agency. He called for an investigation that would examine the possibility that Mihigo “could have been ill-treated or killed in custody”.
Weeks before his arrest, Mihigo had released a song titled Igisobanuro Cy’urupfu (The Meaning of Death), in which he seemed to challenge the official narrative of the genocide. Some have speculated that it was the song that led to his arrest.
Rwandan authorities had said at the time charges had nothing to do with the lyrics of the song.
- Giants relying on James Bradberry to fill leadership void
- Covid-19: Burna Boy Speaks On The Plights Of Average Nigerians As The Nation Locks Down
- US lab unveils portable 5-minute COVID-19 test
- Coronavirus: All 51 Italian Doctors Who Tested Positive, Dead
- Oshiomhole tests negative for coronavirus
- Coronavirus: US Govt set to evacuate citizens in Nigeria
- Coronavirus: Enugu State Close Its Borders, Markets After Recording First Case
- COVID-19: Oyo Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew, Closes Markets
- Explosion rocks Akure, 100 buildings allegedly affected (photos/Video)
- Quarterback Jordan Love may become Patriots NFL Draft 2020 wild card
- BREAKING: Explosion destroys 100 houses, schools, churches in Akure
- Explosion Rocks Akure, Destroys School, Church Others
- Corona criminals’ prey on Europe’s virus fears
- Civil Rights leader Joseph Lowery dead at 98
- Explosion Hits Akure; 100 Residential Buildings, School, Churches Destroyed
- Cycling movie ‘Breaking Away’ is a sports classic
- COVID-19: China Donates Medical Equipment To Nigeria
- Nigeria is not a joke because of one man – Rapper, Vector tackles FFK, Imam of Peace and northerners
- Traditional Ruler Tells Govt To Engage Native Doctors Against COVID-19
- Makinde Sacks Aide Over False Information On Social Media
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient