TAMPA — Miguel Andujar estimated he hadn’t played the outfield in 14-15 years before he was the Yankees’ starting left fielder against the Nationals on Wednesday.
“I felt good out there. The last time I played the outfield I was a kid, 11 or 12,’’ said Andujar, who turns 26 on Monday.
After finishing second in the AL Rookie of the Year race in 2018, Andujar’s 2019 season consisted of just a dozen games because of a right shoulder injury that required season-ending surgery May 20.
That opened the door for Gio Urshela to take over third base, and he responded by reaching career highs in batting average (.314), homers (21) and RBIs (74) while playing Gold Glove caliber defense.
How much Andujar will play the outfield is open to discussion. Ditto first base, where he also has been working. He could unseat Urshela at third to reclaim the old job.
Wednesday, Nationals leadoff hitter Victor Robles lofted a fly ball to shallow left field in the first inning that shortstop Gleyber Torres drifted back on as Andujar came in. Eventually, Andujar called off Torres and made a routine catch.
“He took charge like he should,’’ manager Aaron Boone said of Andujar, who doubled in three at-bats. “I said, ‘Nice going’ and he said, ‘I really liked it.’ ”
Boone knows one game and one catch on a routine fly ball doesn’t make a big-league outfielder. However, the small sample size didn’t have a hiccup.
“He seems natural moving around and catching the ball out there,’’ Boone said.
Three main members of the Yankees’ bullpen followed starter Masahiro Tanaka against the Nationals and combined for three shutout innings and gave up one hit. Zack Britton, Chad Green and Tommy Kahnle appeared in their first exhibition games and fanned four.
In his third game at short, Torres committed a fielding error (his first of the spring) in the third inning that didn’t lead to a run.
Boone’s father, Bob, who works for the Nationals, dropped into his son’s office before the Yankees took an 8-2 victory in a rain-shortened game.
Considering the alarming rate of injuries the Yankees have suffered, it was almost a surprise Brett Gardner wasn’t injured when hit by a pitch in the wrist area in the third inning Wednesday against the Nationals.
A little past 2 o’clock a hard rain arrived but didn’t force a stoppage of play until after 4 ½ innings, when the game was called. Reggie Jackson alerted the customers to the end of the game by waving his arms on the dugout steps.
Former Yankee All-Star Bernie Williams played the pregame national anthem on guitar.
Yankees host the Rays on Thursday and will start J.A. Happ, who will make his second appearance of the exhibition season. Happ worked two scoreless innings in the first game against the Blue Jays on Saturday.
- Coronavirus: Stay-at-home Order Not Easy For Single Mothers
- COVID-19 and FAAN: Avoiding a looming disaster
- Wuhan reopens after COVID-19 lockdown
- Girls4Tech: Mastercard addresses tech skills shortage among Nigerian women
- Where are they now? Seven players dubbed ‘the next Zinedine Zidane’
- It Will Be Shocking If Ighalo Turns Down Deal With Man United – Merson
- Enugu COVID-19 Cases UK Returnees
- The five worst tactical mistakes of the Premier League season
- Coronavirus: I Struggled With Breathing – Paulo Dybala
- Coronavirus: Earmark N250 billion for jobless Nigerians – Olusegun Bamgbose tells Buhari
- COVID-19: Cross River Government to seal churches with more than five members
- COVID-19: Enugu govt confirms 2 positive cases
- (BREAKING) COVID-19: 84 persons of interest identified in Oyo as curfew begins
- Lagos lawmaker empowers 500 women in skill acquisition
- Mets’ Steven Matz staying ready for time when baseball returns
- Video, photos as Akure explodes
- COVID-19: NPA Suspends Demurrage Charges
- Every contact leaves a trace: The basis of forensics
- COVID-19: Keep your homes clean, WAPA tells women
- Edo FA hails Obaseki for VAR introduction
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient