INDIANAPOLIS — Spoiled by Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, former Packers coach Mike McCarthy was excited to coach Daniel Jones.
Instead, they will face each other — maybe for years to come — in one of the NFL’s most-heated rivalries.
An NFL source told The Post that, though McCarthy always favored the Cowboys above other head-coach vacancies this offseason, he thought the “Giants’ job was very good because of Daniel Jones.” McCarthy interviewed with the Giants on Jan. 4, but he left town without an offer and headed to a 12-hour-long sleepover meeting with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.
The Cowboys hired McCarthy on Jan. 6.
“I had a great experience with the Giants,” McCarthy said at the NFL combine. “First-class organization and can’t say enough about [co-owner] John Mara and the time I was able to spend there. It was a lot of fun, thought the interaction was good, but it’s a process and things happen for a reason. I’m very blessed to be a Dallas Cowboy.”
Jones hired McCarthy to replace Jason Garrett, who wound up as Giants offensive coordinator under Joe Judge when the NFC East developed its own mini-coaching carousel. Judge has yet to say a Giants player’s name in three mass interviews as a way of showing a blank slate to all, including Jones.
The Giants tried to arrange a second meeting with McCarthy after the Cowboys’ interest became public, a source said, but it was too late.
McCarthy spent 2019 out of the NFL, living in the shadows of Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis., after he was fired by the Packers and the Jets chose Adam Gase in their search.
McCarthy and Matt Rhule, who received a seven-year contract and next-level wooing from the Panthers, were considered the Giants’ top candidates until Judge’s Tom Coughlin-like intensity dazzled in his interview.
Though the Giants have the draft capital and salary-cap space (about $74 million) to improve the defense and be a “quick turnaround” with general manager Dave Gettleman’s willingness to hear personnel input, McCarthy saw the Cowboys as “the one where you could win a Super Bowl.” He previously won a Super Bowl with Rodgers and is said not to have been discouraged by Jones’ NFL-high 18 fumbles as a rookie.
Now McCarthy faces an unsettled quarterback situation: Dak Prescott is a free agent, and an inability to strike a long-term contract extension could force the Cowboys to apply the one-year franchise or transition tag and thus create friction.
McCarthy said Prescott is “definitely” a franchise quarterback. He had “no comment” for speculation six-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady could leave the Patriots for the Cowboys in free agency.
“Defenses get you to the championship,” McCarthy said. “The quarterbacks win championships, and I definitely feel Dak is that quarterback.”
Prescott is 6-2 with 17 touchdowns and three interceptions in eight career games against the Giants. The Cowboys haven’t been to an NFC Championship since the 1995 season.
“Number one, you look at what he’s done in his time in the league,” McCarthy said. “I’ve been impressed with him since the first time I saw him live up in Green Bay. He’s gotten off to a great start and built a really good foundation.”
- Coronavirus: Enugu State Close Its Borders, Markets After Recording First Case
- COVID-19: Oyo Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew, Closes Markets
- Quarterback Jordan Love may become Patriots NFL Draft 2020 wild card
- BREAKING: Explosion destroys 100 houses, schools, churches in Akure
- Explosion Rocks Akure, Destroys School, Church Others
- Corona criminals’ prey on Europe’s virus fears
- Civil Rights leader Joseph Lowery dead at 98
- Cycling movie ‘Breaking Away’ is a sports classic
- COVID-19: China Donates Medical Equipment To Nigeria
- Traditional Ruler Tells Govt To Engage Native Doctors Against COVID-19
- Makinde Sacks Aide Over False Information On Social Media
- Update: Police officers caught on camera destroying goods of traders in Lagos have been identified and subjected to disciplinary proceedings
- Spain boss Enrique not ruling out Barcelona return
- COVID-19: US Set To Evacuate Citizens In Nigeria
- Civil war, great flood looming – Apostle Okikijesu makes fresh prophecy on Nigeria
- Comedian Sydney Talker Cries For Help, Shows COVID-19 Symptoms
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, hundreds of buildings destroyed
- Enugu closes its borders after becoming the first South-East state with cases of coronavirus
- Uncle on the run after allegedly killing his 7-year-old twin nephews for money rituals in Delta
- How Oregon became NCAA Tournament’s original Cinderella
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient