Three in four parents think they’re better moms and dads than their own parents, according to new research.
A study of 2,000 parents of school-aged children found 76% believe they’re a better parent than their own.
And three in four respondents think parenting is more difficult in the modern world than it was when they were children.
The survey, commissioned by Osmo and conducted by OnePoll, examined the challenges facing today’s parents and how they plan to incorporate their own childhood experiences into their parenting style.
Seventy-eight percent of respondents were adamant they would not be passing on certain aspects of their childhood to their kids.
Results revealed 41% of parents surveyed think strict bedtimes are a thing of the past and 39% don’t make their children sit at the dinner table until their plate is clean.
More than a third don’t banish their children with the classic “go to your room” either.
That’s not the only parenting practice respondents are rejecting ‒ 46% say they will not be spanking or doling out any sort of corporal punishment.
Beyond trying to evolve past old habits, parents think there’s a lot more to contend with.
When it comes to the trickiest parts of parenting, a quarter of respondents named the safe use of technology as a major concern.
Seven in 10 (69%) have screen time rules in place for their children, but that doesn’t seem to be enough, as 71% of respondents confessed they wish they had stricter screen times rules.
That’s no surprise, seeing as one in five parents surveyed admitted their kids have unmonitored access to a cell phone, and three in 10 have unmonitored use of a tablet.
When it comes to gaming parents are even more likely to let kids play what they like. A third of kids have unmonitored use of a mobile gaming device (34%) or video game console (32%).
“A hands on, educational approach is a healthier way for kids to use screens, which can hopefully alleviate parents anxiety about technology in the home,” said a spokesperson for Osmo.
“We really want families, kids and educators to have quality technology programs that are hands on, like we used to play. Because technology isn’t going anywhere.”
All that screen time is a serious source of concern for parents — since four in five worry about the kind of content their children are consuming.
Eighty-two percent of respondents would even relax their screen time rules if the content their children were consuming was educational.
And parents would be willing to spend some cash on additional educational products for their kids. Respondents would consider spending on average $34.55 a month to give their kids additional materials to educate them and keep them occupied.
CEO and developer of Osmo, Pramod Sharma — who has two children of his own — doesn’t restrict his little ones from using technology at home. But he does make sure their screen time is active and educational. He said, “The use case of just watching YouTube mindlessly is very little in our house.”
ASPECTS OF CHILDHOOD NOT TO PASS ALONG TO CHILDREN
1.Spanking/corporal punishment 46%
2.Strict bedtimes 41%
3.Can’t get up from dinner table until you’re finished 39%
4.Time spent alone 36%
5.‘Go to your room’ 35%
6.Time outs 32%
7.Leave child home alone 31%
MOST CHALLENGING ASPECTS OF PARENTING
2.Setting boundaries 43%
5.Daily grind 32%
6.Work-life balance 30%
8.Noise levels 27%
9.Safe use of tech 27%
10.Good health/hygiene 27%
12.Filling the day 25%
- BREAKING: Explosion destroys 100 houses, schools, churches in Akure
- Explosion Rocks Akure, Destroys School, Church Others
- Corona criminals’ prey on Europe’s virus fears
- Civil Rights leader Joseph Lowery dead at 98
- Cycling movie ‘Breaking Away’ is a sports classic
- COVID-19: China Donates Medical Equipment To Nigeria
- Traditional Ruler Tells Govt To Engage Native Doctors Against COVID-19
- Makinde Sacks Aide Over False Information On Social Media
- Update: Police officers caught on camera destroying goods of traders in Lagos have been identified and subjected to disciplinary proceedings
- Spain boss Enrique not ruling out Barcelona return
- COVID-19: US Set To Evacuate Citizens In Nigeria
- Civil war, great flood looming – Apostle Okikijesu makes fresh prophecy on Nigeria
- Comedian Sydney Talker Cries For Help, Shows COVID-19 Symptoms
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, hundreds of buildings destroyed
- Enugu closes its borders after becoming the first South-East state with cases of coronavirus
- Uncle on the run after allegedly killing his 7-year-old twin nephews for money rituals in Delta
- How Oregon became NCAA Tournament’s original Cinderella
- Consult native doctors, soothsayers for solution to coronavirus – Monarch tells FG
- Coronavirus: Avoid AC, Only Four Persons In Cars – VIO
- Shipments of urns in Wuhan raise questions about China’s coronavirus reporting
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient