Dayo Johnson – Akure
Female politicians in Ondo State have lamented the exclusion of women in democratic positions in the state in the last 20 years.
Chairman of the State Universal Basic Education Board, Princess Oladunni Odu said this in Akure at a summit organised by female politicians in the state.
Odu, a former commissioner in the state said: ”ln the last 20 years of our uninterrupted democracy, the female folks in Ondo State have only tasted the position of Speaker of the House of Assembly never a governor, deputy governor, chief of staff or secretary to the state government.
According to her: “Lagos State is in the frontline of bringing women into active politics. lt has successfully brought into limelight Mrs. Kofoworola Bucknor Akerele, Dr. (Mrs) Ojikutu ldiat Adebule, Mrs. Sarah Sosan, and Mrs. Adejoke Afefulire Orelope.”
“Ekiti State, a state younger than our state, has produced three female deputy governors, Mrs. Abiodun Olujimi, Prof Aduke Adelabu who replaced Mrs. Funmilayo Olayinka.
“Osun State has also written its name by bringing to limelight Otunba Grace Titilayo Laoye Tomori and Erelu Olusola Obada while Ogun State has not been left out with Mrs. Yetunde Bosede Onanuga.
She said there are many advantages of women being involved in these key positions at this time. We need governance that will put in place, policies that will uphold the family and sustain the society.
“lt is women that understand certain policies that affect the lives of women, men, and children.”
Odu said the inclusion of women in democratic positions is essential in building and sustaining a strong and vibrant democracy.
She, however, stressed the need for women to come together, irrespective of their political leaning and strategise on how they can lend their voice to the struggle of women in politics.
- Lagos authenticates SMS on stimulus package for aged
- FEMA sending refrigerated trucks to New York City for COVID-19 bodies
- COVID-19 lockdown: Alakija’s ROSF to give widows, orphans in 36 states, N25,000 each
- Akinlade condemns killing of Ogun female student by Customs officers, asks Abiodun to ‘wake up’
- COVID-19: First Bank donates N1bn, reiterates commitment to safety of Nigerians
- Covid-19: Wike imposes selective curfew in Rivers
- Florida man kills girlfriend, her lover after finding them having sex: police
- Buhari signs COVID-19 Regulations, 2020
- Upper West Side man jumps to his death
- Nigeria earned $32.6bn from oil, gas in 2018 – NEITI
- An inside look at the Central Park field hospital, which will include morgue
- The most ‘frustrating’ part of Yankees, Mets managers’ coronavirus wait
- City district attorneys rip de Blasio over planned release of high-risk inmates
- COVID 19: Kaduna Police arrest 165 for violation of sit at home order
- Coronavirus update: Spain cases slowing down
- Andrew Cuomo’s bid to ram industrial wind, solar plants down locals’ throats
- COVID-19: Ajimobi wishes Makinde quick recovery
- Implementing contactless payment during covid-19
- Celeb ‘Tiger King’ fans fighting over roles in future movie
- NY state prison guards beg Cuomo to protect workers from coronavirus
- COVID-19: Two dead, 45 choir members diagnosed after continuing rehearsal
- LaLiga: Xavi ‘ready’ to manage Barcelona, gives conditions
- #Coronavirus: Provide economic relief for Nigerians, even if it is N50k each- Actor, Yul Edochie tells President Buhari
- EPL: Giroud reveals what Lampard told me him after Chelsea exit collapsed
- Trump: Coronavirus-fighting supplies have landed at JFK
- How coronavirus cripples the New York Mafia
- COVID-19: APC slams Makinde to lockdown Oyo or resign as gov
- Give Nigerians N50,000 Each – Yul Edochie Reacts To Buhari’s Lockdown Of Abuja, Lagos, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Monday, March 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Senate reacts as Buhari locks down Ogun, Lagos, Abuja
- Remote learning is turning out to be a burden for parents
- 11 establishments exempted from total lockdown in Lagos, Abuja, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 30th March 2020
- COVID-19: No confirmed case in Plateau – Gov. Lalong
- Phoenix officer killed, two other cops injured in shooting during domestic violence call
- Bauchi governor’s aide tests negative to COVID-19
- Country Music Star Joe Diffie Dies Of Coronavirus
- Ayade recalls C/River garment factory workers for mass production of masks
- BREAKING: COVID-19: Governor Seyi Makinde tests positive for coronavirus
- Tinubu donates N200m to contain coronavirus