STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Rutgers hit another speed bump on the road, and it could damage its NCAA Tournament hopes.
Myles Dread hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 28 seconds left to lift No. 16 Penn State over Rutgers 65-64 on Wednesday night after the Nittany Lions blew a 21-point lead.
Trailing 40-19 late in the first half, the Scarlet Knights tied the game at 62 with 1:32 left in the game on Geo Baker’s layup. His jumper gave Rutgers a two-point lead with 42 seconds remaining.
After a timeout, Dread hit his 3-pointer and Akwasi Yeboah’s shot at before the buzzer was off.
Izaiah Brockington scored 16 points and Lamar Stevens added nine for the Nittany Lions (21-7, 11-6 Big Ten). The Scarlet Knights have had a season to remember, but most of the highlights came in the first half when they went 12-3 up until Jan. 7. Since then they’re 6-8.
Jacob Young scored 13 points for the Scarlet Knights (18-11, 9-9), who lost their third straight. They dropped to 1-8 on the road.
Penn State led for all but 2:04 and by double digits well into the second before the Scarlet Knights rallied.
Beforehand, the Scarlet Knights had cut it to 51-50 with a 15-2 run that began as Young found ways to penetrate Penn State’s defense.
Young, who entered the night averaging eight points per game, hit a layup with 14:45 left and added two more along with a dunk from Ron Harper Jr. and a layup from Myles Johnson to pull the Scarlet Knights within a point with 10:03 left.
Stevens scored the next two baskets and Penn State got some more offense to go back up by 10.
Both teams played sturdy defense early before the Nittany Lions edged ahead 13-10 eight minutes in. Stevens increased his team’s lead with a 3-pointer from the corner two minutes later. Stevens’ first make of the game sparked a 27-9 run to make it a 21-point lead.
Rutgers is expected to give a two-year contract extension for coach Steve Pikiell, according to NJ Advance Media.
- Montefiore neurosurgeon who separated conjoined twins dies from coronavirus
- Today’s coronavirus update: ‘Comfort’ arrives, FDA OKs antimalarial drugs
- Coronavirus: Ajimobi reacts as Oyo Gov Makinde tests positive
- Lagos authenticates SMS on stimulus package for aged
- FEMA sending refrigerated trucks to New York City for COVID-19 bodies
- COVID-19 lockdown: Alakija’s ROSF to give widows, orphans in 36 states, N25,000 each
- Akinlade condemns killing of Ogun female student by Customs officers, asks Abiodun to ‘wake up’
- COVID-19: First Bank donates N1bn, reiterates commitment to safety of Nigerians
- Covid-19: Wike imposes selective curfew in Rivers
- Florida man kills girlfriend, her lover after finding them having sex: police
- Buhari signs COVID-19 Regulations, 2020
- Upper West Side man jumps to his death
- Nigeria earned $32.6bn from oil, gas in 2018 – NEITI
- An inside look at the Central Park field hospital, which will include morgue
- The most ‘frustrating’ part of Yankees, Mets managers’ coronavirus wait
- City district attorneys rip de Blasio over planned release of high-risk inmates
- COVID 19: Kaduna Police arrest 165 for violation of sit at home order
- Coronavirus update: Spain cases slowing down
- Andrew Cuomo’s bid to ram industrial wind, solar plants down locals’ throats
- COVID-19: Ajimobi wishes Makinde quick recovery
- COVID-19: Two dead, 45 choir members diagnosed after continuing rehearsal
- LaLiga: Xavi ‘ready’ to manage Barcelona, gives conditions
- #Coronavirus: Provide economic relief for Nigerians, even if it is N50k each- Actor, Yul Edochie tells President Buhari
- EPL: Giroud reveals what Lampard told me him after Chelsea exit collapsed
- Trump: Coronavirus-fighting supplies have landed at JFK
- How coronavirus cripples the New York Mafia
- COVID-19: APC slams Makinde to lockdown Oyo or resign as gov
- Give Nigerians N50,000 Each – Yul Edochie Reacts To Buhari’s Lockdown Of Abuja, Lagos, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Monday, March 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Senate reacts as Buhari locks down Ogun, Lagos, Abuja
- Remote learning is turning out to be a burden for parents
- 11 establishments exempted from total lockdown in Lagos, Abuja, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 30th March 2020
- COVID-19: No confirmed case in Plateau – Gov. Lalong
- Phoenix officer killed, two other cops injured in shooting during domestic violence call
- Bauchi governor’s aide tests negative to COVID-19
- Country Music Star Joe Diffie Dies Of Coronavirus
- Ayade recalls C/River garment factory workers for mass production of masks
- BREAKING: COVID-19: Governor Seyi Makinde tests positive for coronavirus
- Tinubu donates N200m to contain coronavirus