The damage to the US economy from the coronavirus outbreak could actually look less severe in the statistics than it really is because of what the illness will do to international trade.
The gross domestic product is the common way we measure economic conditions. A lot of things go into that number, which right now is looking like 2 percent-plus annual growth for 2020 although the virus is causing some downward adjustments to that number.
One of the factors in the GDP calculation is the US trade deficit with other countries. America has its biggest trade deficit with China — at $345.6 billion in 2019.
The coronavirus, of course, has reduced the number of goods we are buying from China. And the effect is likely to last because many Chinese factories have been shut down.
Since we are taking in fewer goods from China, the trade deficit will be lower. And since the trade deficit will be lower, the US GDP will be helped.
But US companies, of course, will also be selling fewer goods to China because of the virus. Chinese citizens, as I said before, aren’t going to be buying McDonald’s burgers or Apple products when they are too afraid to leave the house.
But because of the imbalance of trade, the proportion of goods coming into the US from China should be hurt more than the proportion of products going in the other direction — from the US to China.
At least, that’s the theory.
Don’t get me wrong. The coronavirus isn’t going to be good for the US economy. As I said last time, companies are drastically lowering their estimates for earnings in the first quarter of 2020.
And those earnings estimates are likely to continue to drop until company executives get a better handle on how long this disease is going to last and how much it is going to spread.
All I’m saying here is that a quirk in the way the GDP is calculated should prevent that key economic measure from fully revealing the true damage the virus is doing.
- Mike Francesa outraged by Knicks fans celebrating James Dolan’s coronavirus
- Bronx coronavirus victim’s body left in home for 24 hours before collected
- COVID-19: EKEDC closes offices
- Montefiore neurosurgeon who separated conjoined twins dies from coronavirus
- Today’s coronavirus update: ‘Comfort’ arrives, FDA OKs antimalarial drugs
- Coronavirus: Ajimobi reacts as Oyo Gov Makinde tests positive
- Lagos authenticates SMS on stimulus package for aged
- FEMA sending 85 refrigerated trucks to New York City for COVID-19 bodies
- FEMA sending refrigerated trucks to New York City for COVID-19 bodies
- COVID-19 lockdown: Alakija’s ROSF to give widows, orphans in 36 states, N25,000 each
- Akinlade condemns killing of Ogun female student by Customs officers, asks Abiodun to ‘wake up’
- COVID-19: First Bank donates N1bn, reiterates commitment to safety of Nigerians
- Covid-19: Wike imposes selective curfew in Rivers
- Florida man kills girlfriend, her lover after finding them having sex: police
- Buhari signs COVID-19 Regulations, 2020
- Upper West Side man jumps to his death
- Nigeria earned $32.6bn from oil, gas in 2018 – NEITI
- An inside look at the Central Park field hospital, which will include morgue
- The most ‘frustrating’ part of Yankees, Mets managers’ coronavirus wait
- City district attorneys rip de Blasio over planned release of high-risk inmates
- COVID-19: Two dead, 45 choir members diagnosed after continuing rehearsal
- LaLiga: Xavi ‘ready’ to manage Barcelona, gives conditions
- #Coronavirus: Provide economic relief for Nigerians, even if it is N50k each- Actor, Yul Edochie tells President Buhari
- EPL: Giroud reveals what Lampard told me him after Chelsea exit collapsed
- Trump: Coronavirus-fighting supplies have landed at JFK
- How coronavirus cripples the New York Mafia
- COVID-19: APC slams Makinde to lockdown Oyo or resign as gov
- Give Nigerians N50,000 Each – Yul Edochie Reacts To Buhari’s Lockdown Of Abuja, Lagos, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Monday, March 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Senate reacts as Buhari locks down Ogun, Lagos, Abuja
- Remote learning is turning out to be a burden for parents
- Phoenix officer killed, two other cops injured in shooting during domestic violence call
- 11 establishments exempted from total lockdown in Lagos, Abuja, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 30th March 2020
- COVID-19: No confirmed case in Plateau – Gov. Lalong
- Bauchi governor’s aide tests negative to COVID-19
- Country Music Star Joe Diffie Dies Of Coronavirus
- Ayade recalls C/River garment factory workers for mass production of masks
- BREAKING: COVID-19: Governor Seyi Makinde tests positive for coronavirus
- Tinubu donates N200m to contain coronavirus