VILLANOVA, Pa. — Saddiq Bey scored 23 points and Justin Moore added 21 to lead No. 12 Villanova past St. John’s 71-60 on Wednesday night.
The Wildcats (22-6, 11-4 Big East) had trouble shaking St. John’s until late on a night the program honored former star Kyle Lowry. Lowry, a five-time All-Star guard for the NBA champion Toronto Raptors, played two seasons for the Wildcats and was one of the early pieces that helped build coach Jay Wright’s program into a national power.
Villanova won its fifth straight game and has a big rematch against No. 13 Seton Hall ahead on March 4. Seton Hall won the first meeting and both teams could meet again in a conference tournament title game.
St. John’s is just counting down the days until the season ends. Barring an improbable run to a championship in the Big East Tournament, the Red Storm are looking for the future. They played their fourth straight game without Mustapha Heron (13.8 points) because of a sprained right ankle.
Lowry was flanked by former teammates and called the jersey recognition honor a “once in a lifetime” experience that he was able to share with his wife and two young sons. His sons, Karter and Kameron, played with the microphones at a halftime press conference.
Lowry played from 2004-2006 when the Wildcats made their first two NCAA Tournament trips of Wright’s young tenure.
“From the time I got here, he was kind of on that proverbial hot seat,” Lowry said. “Now, he’s never going anywhere and he’s one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball.”
Wright has since won two national titles at Villanova and was named the AP Coach of the Decade. Wright has said how Lowry skipped classes and was disruptive at practice, so much so that it got to the point where the feisty guard might not have made it to a second season. Lowry, now extremely close with Wright, laughed when he recalled his rocky relationship with his coach.
“My freshman year, I was such an immature kid and I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know what I wanted or what I could do or what my abilities were off the court,” Lowry said. “I didn’t know what I was, I didn’t know who I was. Me and Coach never talked about basketball. We always talked about these things off the court. That’s why me and Jay, to this day, have the relationship that we have. It wasn’t nothing about basketball. He didn’t worry about me on the court. He worried about me as a man.”
Wright’s biggest worry Wednesday was a St. John’s team that came in 12½-point underdogs and kept the deficit within single digits for most of the second half. Greg Williams Jr. buried a 3 for the Red Storm (14-14, 3-12) with 4:37 left that pulled them within six.
Moore, though, steadied the Wildcats with his fifth 3 of the game, a driving layup and a pull-up jumper in succession that stretched the lead to 13 and sealed another win for the perennial Big East power.
Villanova hit seven 3s to St. John’s one in the first half but only led 36-34 at the break.
- COVID-19: Oyo Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew, Bans Inter-State Travel
- Coronavirus: Stay-at-home Order Not Easy For Single Mothers
- COVID-19 and FAAN: Avoiding a looming disaster
- Wuhan reopens after COVID-19 lockdown
- Girls4Tech: Mastercard addresses tech skills shortage among Nigerian women
- Where are they now? Seven players dubbed ‘the next Zinedine Zidane’
- It Will Be Shocking If Ighalo Turns Down Deal With Man United – Merson
- Enugu COVID-19 Cases UK Returnees
- The five worst tactical mistakes of the Premier League season
- Coronavirus: I Struggled With Breathing – Paulo Dybala
- Coronavirus: Earmark N250 billion for jobless Nigerians – Olusegun Bamgbose tells Buhari
- COVID-19: Cross River Government to seal churches with more than five members
- COVID-19: Enugu govt confirms 2 positive cases
- (BREAKING) COVID-19: 84 persons of interest identified in Oyo as curfew begins
- Lagos lawmaker empowers 500 women in skill acquisition
- Mets’ Steven Matz staying ready for time when baseball returns
- Video, photos as Akure explodes
- COVID-19: NPA Suspends Demurrage Charges
- Every contact leaves a trace: The basis of forensics
- COVID-19: Keep your homes clean, WAPA tells women
- Latest Coronavirus Update For Today, Friday, March 27th, 2020
- Latest Biafra News Online Update Today Friday, March 27th 2020
- COVID-19: President Buhari hails Atiku Abubakar, Dangote, Otedola, Elemelu, others
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Friday, March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Umahi bans release of corpses, orders arrest of policemen, family members for conducting burial in Ebonyi
- COVID -19: Nnamdi Kanu reveals where Abba Kyari was secretly flown for Coronavirus treatment
- New Yorker singing out window told to ‘Shut the f— up!’
- Woman stabbed to death in NYC hotel lobby
- Nigerians Remind T.B Joshua Of His Prophesy That Coronavirus Will Disappear By March 27
- Davido’s Fiancée, Chioma Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Nigerian Ports Authority calls out NCDC over claims of detecting new cases on a vessel in Lagos
- COVID-19: Femi Adesina opens up on Buhari, other happenings in Aso Rock
- [Breaking] COVID-19: Davido’s girlfriend, Chioma, tests positive
- Coronavirus: Time to come together – Muslim Rights
- COVID-19: US Asks Foreign Doctors, Nurses To Reach Out For Work Visas
- Father kills son for beheading his mother in Enugu
- Zamfara Guber tussle: PDP reacts as Gov. Matawalle wins APC in Supreme Court
- The North Face offers 25% off entire purchase for spring sale
- WWE’s Roman Reigns pulls out of WrestleMania 36 due to coronavirus concerns
- Gunmen Kidnap Man After Forcing Wife To Cook Jollof Rice
- Coronavirus: Nine suspected Covid-19 cases in Kano test negative
- Hoda Kotb cries on ‘Today’ show about Drew Brees’ $5M donation to Louisiana
- BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria hit 70
- I tested positive for Coronavirus – Ogun ex-Sports Commissioner, Olopade [Video]
- Bob Dylan releases 17-minute song about John F. Kennedy assassination
- 2020 UTME: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police
- Teen football player Jaquan Anderson dead from coronavirus in New Orleans
- Fire guts NYSC camp in Rivers
- Covid-19: Despite scourge, Muslim faithful observe jumaat congregational prayers in Kano
- Baby tiger born at zoo in Mexico named ‘Covid’
- Hypo Bleach Slashes Price To Encourage Safer Environment Against Covid-19
- Coronavirus: FCT Minister reveals new measures to control spread of COVID-19
- Comedian Seyi Law and his wife celebrate 9th wedding anniversary
- COVID-19: Nigeria lacks capacity to contain coronavirus on large scale – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Sanwo-Olu Is 10 Times Better Than You Are – Omokri Writes Buhari
- Lagos confirms pipeline leakage, alerts Nigerians
- Coronavirus: Isolate if you visited our Abuja office this week – Smile Nigeria
- Coronavirus : LUTH makes clarification on ‘turning back” positive patient