Welcome to the Concise News roundup of the top 10 Nigerian newspapers headlines for today Wednesday, March 25th, 2020.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 44 coronavirus cases in Africa’s most populous country following the recording of two new cases in Abuja and Bauchi. While the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, Abba Kyari, tested positive for coronavirus after visiting Germany, the Governor of Bauchi, Bala Mohammed, was diagnosed with the COVID-19 after meeting the infected son of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.
Bauchi state governor Bala Mohammed has tested positive for coronavirus, his media aide, Mukhtar Gidado, said Tuesday. Mohammed was said to have had contact with the infected son of former vice president of Nigeria Atiku Abubakar.
Nigerians have expressed mixed reactions to the news of the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, Abba Kyari, testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19). Kyari reportedly traveled to Munich, Germany, on Saturday, March 7th, to meet with officials of Siemens over the Nigerian electricity expansion programme.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state has ordered the shut down of markets apart from those where food and medical items are sold. The governor gave the directive at a press conference on the COVID-19 situation in the state on Tuesday.
Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje on Tuesday ordered all civil servants to stay off office for a period of two weeks in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19 to the state. Commissioner for Information, Comrade Muhammad Garba disclosed this during a press briefing shortly after the state’s executive council meeting on Tuesday.
The Lagos state commissioner for health, AKin Abayomi, on Tuesday said that all celebrities who graced the 7th Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) may have been exposed to coronavirus infection. The event, held on 14 March in Victoria Island, Lagos, was attended by top Nigerian entertainers.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Tuesday confirmed the killing of not less than 47 soldiers by Boko Haram fighters in Borno State, northeast Nigeria. Speaking with newsmen in Abuja, the Director of Defence Information, Major General John Enenche, said Nigeria was in a fluid conflict situation while the troops were at the frontlines.
The Nigerian Senate on Tuesday suspended plenary for two weeks as part of measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The Upper Chamber also called on the Federal Government to devote special funds to fight the dreaded disease.
A former Senior Special Assistant to the Kwara State Governor on Sustainable Development Goals Ope Saraki was on Tuesday arraigned before Justice Babangana Ashigar of a Federal High Court sitting in Ilorin. Saraki, a cousin to the immediate past Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, is facing charges for money laundering.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Tuesday retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 13.5 per cent. The apex bank chief, Godwin Emefiele, announced the decision of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), saying all members of the committee had agreed to retain the current monetary policy stance.
That’s the roundup of the top 10 Nigerian newspapers headlines this morning. More Nigerian newspapers headlines are available on Concise News website.
- Funke Akindele: HURIWA attacks Lagos govt, calls for immediate arrest of Buhari’s Minister
- Fayose Calls For Stomach Infrastructure In Lockdown Period
- Stop Humiliating Them – Muyiwa Ademola Reacts To Funke Akindele And Husband’s Arrest
- Access Bank Innovates To Give Customers More Access To Funds In Covid Times
- Where Is The Social Distancing Here? – Daddy Freeze Reacts To Funke Akindele’s Court Session
- COVID-19: Imo Fancy Hotel to be fumigated tomorrow
- Eniola Badmus Breaks Silence, Reacts To Funke Akindele’s Arrest
- Nigerian Army can’t win war against Boko Haram — Nnamdi Kanu
- COVID-19: ‘Africa Will Not Be Testing Ground For Vaccines’ – WHO
- Hasidic Jews hold another funeral in Brooklyn despite coronavirus pandemic
- University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital Suspends Professor Over COVID-19 Patient
- Kwara gov launches cash transfer to poor households
- Coronavirus: 51 Recovered Patients In South Korea Test Positive Again
- Nigeria, 38 other African countries to benefit from GPE $250m fund
- Actress Roseanne Barr claims Coronavirus is a ploy to âget ridâ of her entire generation
- Suspected killers of Afenifere leaderâs daughter, Funke Olakunrin arrested
- COVID-19: 80% of the calls we receive at our call center are hoax calls- Lagos Health Commissioner, Akin Abayomi says (video)
- Local transmission of COVID-19 is increasing in Lagos – Health commissioner, Akin Abayomi
- Imo: Suspended LG Chairmen battle Gov. Uzodinma
- APC chieftain hails Lagos residents for obeying restriction order
- COVID-19: US Government Issues Warning To Citizens In Nigeria
- COVID-19: US Warns Citizens Seeking Evacuation From Nigeria
- Brooklyn woman burned outside home in possible acid attack
- Boko Haram: God’ll reward Buhari for allowing insurgents kill Nigerians’ – Pastor Giwa
- Former Lagos Guber Aspirant, Gbadamosi Tenders Apology For Attending Funke Akindele’s House Party
- 385 Americans Evacuated In Nigeria Over COVID-19
- Brooklyn woman burned outside home in possible acid attack
- BREAKING: Funke Akindele appears in court after lockdown violation (VIDEO)
- Ezra Miller appears to choke fan in video
- Coronavirus: Nnamdi Kanu Speaks On Biafra And 5G Network
- BREAKING: COVID-19: Plateau announces total lockdown, plans to carry out fumigation
- ‘I Pray I Survive This’ – Funke Akindele Tweets After Arrest (Photo)
- COVID-19: 5G is not anti-christ- Pastor Ashimolowo counters Chris Oyakhilome [VIDEO]
- Lockdown: Police Inspector allegedly kills man in Abia
- Naira Marley, others were in my house before lockdown, Funke Akindele reacts
- Funke Akindele, Husband Plead Guilty In Court (Video)
- Coronavirus: Buhari Approves Recruitment Of 774,000 Nigerians
- Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dead at 85
- JUST IN: Funke Akindele, husband plead guilty in court
- Lockdown: Police Harass Man Who Went To Buy Fufu For Himself And Family (Video)