As many as 10% of recovered coronavirus patients in China tested positive again after being discharged from hospital, according to a report.
Doctors on the frontlines of the outbreak in Wuhan, China — where the virus emerged — reported that between 3 and 10% of cured patients became reinfected with the illness — though it’s unclear whether they were contagious the second time, the South China Morning Post reported.
Tongji Hospital, which identified the first COVID-19 case, confirmed that five of 145 patients — a little over 3% — tested positive again in nucleic acid tests, according to state broadcaster CCTV.
“So far there is no evidence to suggest that they are infectious,” said Wang Wei, who is the hospital’s president.
He said that the five patients who tested positive again did not have any symptoms and none of their close contacts had been infected.
Wang added that surveillance of similar patients showed that 80 to 90% had no trace of the virus in their system one month after being discharged from hospitals, according to the report.
But, he said, these are just “small samples” and “not enough to assure us of the validity of our initial findings.”
“We need a large-scale epidemiological study to guide our disease surveillance and prevention works,” Wang said.
Meanwhile, other quarantine facilities in Wuhan have seen about 5 to 10% of their recovered patients test positive again. The findings were reported by the health news outlet Life Times, which is affiliated with state-run newspaper People’s Daily.
The studies come as health officials around the world are testing the process of taking plasma from someone who has been infected, processing it and injecting the antibodies into a sick person to stimulate their immune system.
- Montefiore neurosurgeon who separated conjoined twins dies from coronavirus
- Today’s coronavirus update: ‘Comfort’ arrives, FDA OKs antimalarial drugs
- Coronavirus: Ajimobi reacts as Oyo Gov Makinde tests positive
- Lagos authenticates SMS on stimulus package for aged
- FEMA sending refrigerated trucks to New York City for COVID-19 bodies
- COVID-19 lockdown: Alakija’s ROSF to give widows, orphans in 36 states, N25,000 each
- Akinlade condemns killing of Ogun female student by Customs officers, asks Abiodun to ‘wake up’
- COVID-19: First Bank donates N1bn, reiterates commitment to safety of Nigerians
- Covid-19: Wike imposes selective curfew in Rivers
- Florida man kills girlfriend, her lover after finding them having sex: police
- Buhari signs COVID-19 Regulations, 2020
- Upper West Side man jumps to his death
- Nigeria earned $32.6bn from oil, gas in 2018 – NEITI
- An inside look at the Central Park field hospital, which will include morgue
- The most ‘frustrating’ part of Yankees, Mets managers’ coronavirus wait
- City district attorneys rip de Blasio over planned release of high-risk inmates
- COVID 19: Kaduna Police arrest 165 for violation of sit at home order
- Coronavirus update: Spain cases slowing down
- Andrew Cuomo’s bid to ram industrial wind, solar plants down locals’ throats
- COVID-19: Ajimobi wishes Makinde quick recovery
- COVID-19: Two dead, 45 choir members diagnosed after continuing rehearsal
- LaLiga: Xavi ‘ready’ to manage Barcelona, gives conditions
- #Coronavirus: Provide economic relief for Nigerians, even if it is N50k each- Actor, Yul Edochie tells President Buhari
- EPL: Giroud reveals what Lampard told me him after Chelsea exit collapsed
- Trump: Coronavirus-fighting supplies have landed at JFK
- How coronavirus cripples the New York Mafia
- COVID-19: APC slams Makinde to lockdown Oyo or resign as gov
- Give Nigerians N50,000 Each – Yul Edochie Reacts To Buhari’s Lockdown Of Abuja, Lagos, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Monday, March 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Senate reacts as Buhari locks down Ogun, Lagos, Abuja
- Remote learning is turning out to be a burden for parents
- 11 establishments exempted from total lockdown in Lagos, Abuja, Ogun
- Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 30th March 2020
- COVID-19: No confirmed case in Plateau – Gov. Lalong
- Phoenix officer killed, two other cops injured in shooting during domestic violence call
- Bauchi governor’s aide tests negative to COVID-19
- Country Music Star Joe Diffie Dies Of Coronavirus
- Ayade recalls C/River garment factory workers for mass production of masks
- BREAKING: COVID-19: Governor Seyi Makinde tests positive for coronavirus
- Tinubu donates N200m to contain coronavirus