There are now 145 New York City kids sickened with the rare Kawasaki-like inflammatory disease, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday as he noted that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that the illness is linked to the coronavirus.
“It is a very sober and painful topic,” de Blasio said of the mystery disease during his daily COVID-19 press briefing.
The illness, which the city has been calling pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome, or PMIS, is now being referred to by the CDC as multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, and the city will also refer to it that way going forward, de Blasio said.
The mayor noted that the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is reviewing cases reported in the Big Apple under the CDC’s new definition of the disease, which the CDC recently said is, in fact, related to COVID-19.
As of Monday, the city has logged 145 cases using the initial PMIS case definition and of those patients, 67 tested positive for coronavirus or antibodies for the virus, de Blasio said.
Common symptoms of the MIS-C include: persistent fever, irritability or sluggishness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or vomiting, rash, red or pink eyes, enlarged lymph node gland on one side of the neck, red cracked lips or red tongue, and swollen hands and feet.
“That’s a lot to be aware of,” de Blasio said, adding, “Any of those symptoms you see in your child, call your healthcare provider.”
“If you see multiple symptoms, especially important,” the mayor said, who noted that precaution measures for children include: good hygiene, wearing face coverings in public and social distancing.
De Blasio also said the Big Apple still has more work to do in its battle against the coronavirus as the latest statistics for the city’s daily COVID-19 indicators show “a mixed bag.”
“We keep making progress, overall,” Hizzoner said. “We all got to stick with it.”
The number of people admitted to Big Apple hospitals went down from 77 on Friday to 58 on Saturday, while patients in intensive care units for suspected COVID-19 across the city’s public hospital system went up from 469 Friday to 475 Saturday, according to the statistics, which have a two-day reporting lag.
“It’s not a huge increase, but it’s still an increase we need it to keep going down,” de Blasio said of the ICU numbers.
The percentage of people tested citywide who are positive for coronavirus remained unchanged between the two days at 11 percent.
“Overall good news because of the overall direction,” de Blasio said. “We need to create that steady progress to get to the next stage.”
Still, de Blasio predicted that the city will meet the state’s seven COVID-related benchmarks by mid-June, which means that the Big Apple could start its phased reopening by then.
“On the city indicators and state indicators, both will align in the first half of June,” de Blasio said.
As of Monday, New York City has only met three of the seven criteria needed to enter phase one of reopening.
“We clearly are making progress. There’s several [benchmarks] we’ve met,” he said. “We need to go further.”
Also by June, de Blasio said the city will be producing more than 60,000 coronavirus test kits per week.
“A dream team has come together from all over New York City to make things happen in the case of test kits,” the mayor, noting, “This is the essence of what we need.”
Print Parts, a company in Manhattan, makes the swabs, Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx produces the viral transport medium, and Collab in Brooklyn “helped provide the design to put together the kits in the right way,” de Blasio said.
“For the first time in our history, New York City is building and using its own test kits,” said the mayor.
Those homegrown test kits were being used as of Monday at NYC Health and Hospitals sites across the city.
- See exactly how Davido meet Chioma, See lovely!Nigerian BET award-winning singer, record producer and songwriter, Davido has opened up to the public that he met Chioma Avril Rowland the love of his life through an introduction by Lati his former ...[Read more]
- DJ Cuppy hits 6 million followers on IG,celebrates with fansDJ Cuppy, the Billionaire’s daughter hits 6 million followers on Instagram DJ Cuppy posted a photo on her page to celebrate her follower ship as she describes her fans as unstoppable and also ...[Read more]
- I was supposed to be married by July, but Corona messed it up-DavidoNigerian Musician, Davido said he was supposed to be out of the bachelor league by July but corona virus messed up the plan. He Speaking to Bounce Radio’s Ebuka about getting married to his ...[Read more]
- Awwwnn! See how much each of the housemate recieved, you will be shocked how much Dorathy gotThe organizers of BBNaija, S5 released the amount of monetary price each of the Housemate got right from Praise. It is obvious Laycon got the highest of 85 Million Naira. Congratulations to them all! ...[Read more]
- Jubilation As Actress Nkechi Blessing ‘Blesses’ Her Sister With A Brand New CarNigerians have taken to social media to celebrate and praise actress, Nkechi Blessing Sunday after she gifted her younger sister a brand new car for her birthday. This is coming days after she gifted ...[Read more]
- Davido Reveals How His Mother Died Of Cardiac Arrest On His Father’s BirthdayPopular Nigerian singer and Dmw boss, Davido, has revealed the cause of his mother’s death. The Fem singer stated that his mother died of cardiac arrest on his father’s birthday. He stated that he ...[Read more]
- “I Will Become A Billionaire In Dollars If I Quit Music And Work In My Father’s Company” – Davido Says (Watch Video)Popular Nigerian singer and Dmw boss, Davido, has revealed that his brothers are richer than him, also that if he quits music and works in his father’s company, he would become a billionaire in ...[Read more]
- LASTMA Officer Caught On Camera Collecting Bribe From Motorist (Watch Video)Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA officer, has been caught in the act of extorting a road-user of a substantial amount of money. The officer is said to have collected a bribe of 15,000 ...[Read more]
- Moment Everyone Thought Ike Wanted To Propose To Girlfriend, Mercy Eke At Her Birthday (Watch Video)BBNaija star, Ike who is the boyfriend to Mercy Eke pulled a stunt yesterday at her birthday as many people thought he was going to propose to the celebrant. The single event could have broken the ...[Read more]
- Late Actress Naya Rivera’s Ex Husband And Her Sister Move In Together Two Months After Her DeathDaily Mail reports that grieving ex-husband of Naya Rivera , Actor Ryan Dorsey,37, has found solace in a friendship with the actress sister , Nickayla Rivera ,25. The duo have been inseparable since ...[Read more]
- Billionaire, Ned Nwoko Finally Opens Up On Reason Why he Married Regina DanielsThe marriage between young Nigerian actress Regina Daniels and businessman Ned Nwoko still remain a huge debate among Nigerians. Their marriage sparked a huge controversy after many accused the ...[Read more]
- See The Moment Laycon Recieve The Car He Won From Innoson Vehicle ManagerBelow is the moment Big Brother Naija season 5 winner received his car from Innoson vehicles motor manager.. Video below; Meet Laycon the latest millionaire with a brand new car and house on the ...[Read more]
- Okyeman Cultural Ensemble collaborates with WOMBA AfricaThe Okyeman Cultural Ensemble, which is specialised in thrilling audiences to traditional and contemporary African dance and music, has collaborated with various cultural troupes. And one of such ...[Read more]
- BBNaija 2020 Winner, Laycon Recieves His N85 Million Price MoneyBig Brother Naija season 5 winner, Laycon has received his winning price money. The ceremony took place today. more details to come. See some photos and video from the event below; Laycon is too ...[Read more]
- Relationships thrive better when you’re best friends with your partner: Here’s whyFinancial Manager at TSL Logistics Ghana, Lawrence Nanor, has educated on why it is so important for one to be best friends with their partners. – Advertisement – He explained on eTV ...[Read more]
- on BBNaija: See What Nengi Found Under Her Bed That Ozo Left For Her A very big love
- on “I Can’t Remember When I Had A S3kz With Any Man, So I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant ” – 17-year-old Girl Whose Newborn Was Allegedly Buried Alive Claims The traditional healer in whose Hafsat spent months in his house shoul…
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon