“Complete lawlessness,” one cop termed the incident in Harlem in the early hours Sunday — and it’s fast becoming an apt description of much of the city.
Officers responded to an electronic ShotSpotter alert just before 4 a.m., and discovered a block party still raging. Worse, the crowd attacked the police, with members screaming obscenities as they hurled bottles and other debris at the cruisers.
The NYPD showed tremendous restraint, perhaps too much — retreating vans down Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and avoiding arrests or injuries as it dispersed the mob over several hours. How many innocents were at risk in the interim? And how are police to reverse the surge in shootings when they meet this kind of reception?
Eleven New Yorkers were shot across 12 hours that night, with several of the victims refusing to cooperate in any investigation. And that doesn’t include the couple gunned down with an AR-15-style rifle Saturday afternoon on an East New York stoop.
That’s over 80 people shot in a week, with at least six fatalities.
Other signs of disorder are more mundane, like the assaults on the barricades that close off roads under Mayor Bill de Blasio’s “open streets” effort. Drivers blowing through those barriers are plainly putting innocents at risk while showing utter contempt for the law.
As are the people shooting off fireworks at all hours of the night, with cops evidently ordered not to interfere.
Indeed, “don’t interfere” seems the slogan for every city authority these days. Police took troubled vagrant Matthew Mishefski to Mt. Sinai Hospital on Saturday . . . after he started running around naked in Washington Square Park and got into a fight with two other men.
But he’d been camped out in the fenced-off fountain for a month, amassing a living-room worth of furniture. Is it really a coincidence that he was finally hauled in only after he made the front page of The Post? Where were ThriveNYC and all the other city mental-health programs all those weeks?
This is a guy who answers only when addressed as “Jesus Christ Lord Saviour,” yet the system fails to protect him or the public with mandatory treatment. Indeed, he was discharged Sunday morning, returned to the park, stripped again and got hauled back to Mt. Sinai. He may be out again by the time you read this.
The city seems not only to be increasingly out of control, but to be led by “authorities” who don’t care (or dare) to restore basic order. New York has recovered from far worse — but only after choosing leadership committed to putting public safety first.
Source: New York Post
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Pete Edochie And Children SNUBS Actress Rita Edochie’s Daughter’s Wedding
- Rudeboy Celebrates His Younger Brother Maduka For Making Him Proud
- Wizkid Shows Off Diamond Wrist Watch, Encrusted Diamond Teeth
- Terrorists Demand N900m as Ransom for Victims Abducted in Fresh Kaduna Attack
- Moment Dead Man Was Carried On Foot For Burial After All Cars That Conveyed Him Developed A Fault (VIDEO)
- Shatta Wale In “BESTIE” Trouble; Efia Odo Discredits Benedicta Gafah (Photo)
- I Still Can’t Believe You Chose Me As Your Only Woman – Keche Andrew’s Wife After He Assured Her Of His Love
- SAD: Watch 71-Year-Old Ghanaian Nanny Arrested After She Was Caught On Camera Hitting And Kicking Her Master’s Baby (Video)
- Mr Ibu’s 8-Year-Old Beautiful Daughter Becomes The Talk Of The Internet With These Adorable Photos
- Yahoo Boy Confesses How He Posed As Gay To Defraud A Client (Video)
- La Liga: Barcelona Sign Brazilian Striker
- ‘I’m Going To Ensure Nana Addo Gets A Second Term By Campaigning For Him’ – Agya Koo Reveals
- PDP Speaks On Sponsoring Agbede Protest In Edo State
- 3 Nollywood Actresses Who Allegedly Had A Romantic Affair With Actor, Lateef Adedimeji (PHOTOS)
- Legendary Nollywood ‘Bad Boy’ Actor, Hanks Anuku And Other Celebrities In The Movie Industry Who Rocked The Big Screens (Photos)
- Popular Yoruba Actresses Whose Husbands Are Also Actors
- To Copy These Tune Press 89 – Tacha Shades Mercy Eke After She Also Launched Her Merchandise
- I Am Not Going Astray – Actor Lateef Adedimeji Replies Fan Who Begged Him To Stop Wearing ‘Earrings’ (VIDEO)
- 10 Nigerian Billionaires Whose Wives Are Young Enough To Be Their Daughter
- Mercy Johnson & Her Baby, Divine-Mercy Give Us Some Lovely Moment – VIDEO
- DOWNLOAD: Sugarbana – Shalaye ft Barry Jhay X Bella Shmurda
- Suarez Concedes La Liga Title To Real Madrid, Reveals Why Barca Lost
- Watch Mercy Johnson Giving Her Husband ‘Wahala’ Whilst Taking A Simple Photo – (VIDEO)
- Akuapem Poloo REVEALS A Secret About Her & People Are Shocked
- Photos Of Afia Schwarzenegger And ‘Date Rush’ Star, Ignatius Sparks Dating Rumors
- Actress, Yvonne Jegede Has Once Again Revealed That Hackers Have Tried To Hack Her Account
- BREAKING: Magu released from detention
- Ebonyi State government to reopen schools in August
- Actress Finally Gives Birth After 10 Years Of Marriage
- Actress Eseigbe welcomes baby after 10 years of marriage
- Toyin Abraham & Other Celebrities React As Actress, Damilola Shares Her Flawless Beauty In Latest Video
- Kwara Assembly sets up committee to probe local councils finances
- Edo poll: AA, LP, ADC substitute candidates
- Police footage shows George Floyd’s last words: ‘Man, I can’t breathe’
- Johnny Depp allegedly got cheeky in texts about Amber Heard’s ‘flabby ass’
- Toddler flung into the air after SUV hits stroller
- Mr. Macaroni Goes Wild After Meeting Ooni Of Ife (Video)
- Edo: INEC announces substitution of three governorship candidates
- Jacob deGrom undergoing MRI after leaving Mets start with back problem
- Eniola Badmus Unleashes Venom On Fan Who Asked Her A ‘Simple’ Question
- ‘He’s a great gentleman’: Trump says he’d welcome Flynn back on campaign
- CBN seeks power to freeze criminals’ accounts, wants Credit Tribunal
- Social media influencer, ‘Adeherself’ granted bail by court
- When Will ‘The Office’ Be on Peacock?
- Yul Edochie opens up on how RMD, Ramsey Nouah, Desmond Elliot and not his father helped his career
- Davido REVEALS Who Inspired His Relationship With Chioma
- Ekiti community gets first Monarch seven months after autonomy
- Meet The New ‘Bachelorette’ Cast: Clare Crawley’s Suitors Revealed
- FCIID under close watch as plans to spirit Magu out of jail fails
- Trump says he has a ‘very good relationship’ with Fauci despite Navarro’s scathing op-ed
- Actress, Halima Abubakar Blesses Her Fans With Some Inspiration Words
- CEO at ‘racist’ NJ company gave Nazi salute while dressed as Hitler
- Zangon Kataf attacks: SOKAPU frowns at the plight of IDPs
- Tacha Appreciates Venita For Walking Out Of Her Marriage Despite Having Two Kids With Her Ex-husband
- 6 Yoruba Actors who you never knew Lost A Child To the cold hands of Death – And the cause of their deaths (Photos)