Experts have said adopting transformational leadership as against the prevailing mindset of transactional leadership will facilitate effective and sustainable reforms in the nation.
They stressed that rethinking leadership in Nigeria requires a change of mindset with comprehensive and meaningful reorientation for both those in leadership positions and citizens.
This was the thrust at the 2nd National Leadership Dialogue Series (NLDS) organised by the Nigerian Prize for Leadership under the chairmanship of Prof. Anya O. Anya, in partnership with 19 other organisations, on the theme, “Rethinking Leadership: Competence, Governance, and Impact on Society”,
The conference held via zoom had in attendance elder statesmen and women, academia, professionals, civil society members, and young people.
Speaking during the virtual conference, the Vice Chairman, Nigerian Prize for Leadership, and Former High Commissioner of Nigeria to the United Kingdom, Dr Christopher Kolade, said that a leader must possess a proven sense of responsibility and must have the ability to communicate with people, both by speaking and, especially, by listening.
His rods: “He must have the willingness to learn at every suitable opportunity, have the courage to take and stand by tough decisions and make a firm commitment to best practice, good ethics, respectable values and standards in leadership performance.”
Founder, Centre for Values in Leadership, Prof. Pat Utomi, stressed that central to leadership competence is problem-solving. Leaders solve problems to impact society positively. Yesterday’s big problems have become today’s routine because some leaders took responsibility and provided solutions at the material point of need.
For him, “a highly effective leader must be equipped with knowledge and high sense of service. That is what will enable him/her with the right attitude to impact in society.
“In this connection, the nation needs leaders who see leadership as a sacrificial endeavour, with relevant capabilities to mobilize citizens, trust and commitment, community peace, national growth and development.”
Chief Executive Officer, Emerging Africa Capital Group Mrs. Toyin Sanni, representing Women in Management and Business (WIMBIZ) stressed on the need for citizens to interrogate people’s motives for seeking leadership positions.”
Such motives must be driven by a sense of purpose, and the desire to create impact, not a mere hunger for power, greed, selfish and personal ambition.
“Leaders in Nigeria should be measured by their dispensational ability towards the six cardinal Cs of leadership, which are, Competence, Character, Credibility, Capacity, Compassion, and Courage. They should also be measured by their personal integrity, accountability, exemplary conduct.”
While the Executive Director, Leap Africa, Mr. Femi Taiwo, noted that in rethinking leadership should engage in Education for knowledge, character and responsibility; Entertainment for redesigning, recreating, representing the Nigerian narrative; and Experience to draw from whenever the situation arises.
“Leaders must be compelled to make themselves available for outreach and communication with their constituents. Such platforms should be transparent and used to empower citizens to effectively hold their leaders accountable.”
He noted that the survival of Nigeria depends on good leaders who are committed to giving their all for the growth and development of the nation, adding that Nigeria’s leadership problem is not about the absence of good leaders but ambushing and choking of available spaces by bad leaders to deny tested and competent leaders the opportunity to emerge.
Executive Secretary, NPL, Dr. Ike Neliaku, however, re-emphasised that the NLDS was initiated for the benefits of Nigerians as a strategic intervention that will play an indispensable role in strengthening and elevating efforts to build a consensus to genuinely address the leadership challenges in the nation.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Pregnant Woman Who Died And Was Buried Gives Birth In Her Grave(Video)
- I Pity You, It Will End In Tears’ – Teni Speaks Doom On DJ Cuppy
- Tacha’s Ex-bestie, Sir Dee Stuns ” The Brekete Kingdom” With New Looks Few Days After He Was Sacked (Photos)
- Madonna, 61, flaunts her perky boobs as she leans on a crutch
- 6,594 Lagos Occupants Recover from COVID-19 with self medication, Says Prof. Akin Abayomi
- NYSC Set To Kick Start Physical Verification Exercise For Foreign-Trained Graduates
- BBN’s Princess Onyejekwe tells babymamas, others to stop doing wife duties for a man that is not their husband
- Don’t Do Wife Duties For Girlfriend Prices – BBNaija’s Princess Priceless Advise To Ladies
- Bobrisky says there is no justification for beating a girlfriend or wife as he speaks on Abusive Relationships
- ‘Summer House’: Lauren Wirkus Marries David Raih in an Intimate Ceremony
- ‘The Office:’ Jenna Fischer Posts 10-Year Anniversary Photo With Her Husband But Fans Are Asking For Jim
- 5 Nigerian Celebrities who have been arrested, charged Abroad for fraudulent activities
- Actress Tayo Odueke A.K.A Sindodo Is Celebrating Her Mum On Her Birthday
- Check Out Korede Bello’s New Look
- ‘Below Deck Med’: Bugsy Drake Won’t Tolerate Sexually Inappropriate Behavior From Lead Deckhand
- Pension fraud: Ihedioha exonerates self, blames Okorocha
- The society only appreciates fully dressed hardworking ladies while those unclad are regarded as promiscuous – Actress Moyo Lawal
- Sleeping in a Cell is Allah’s Wish for Me – Magu
- AY Poyoo Now Has More YouTube Subscribers Than Yaa Pono, Joey B, Efya, Edem & Others
- Regina Daniels Ex-Best Friend rumored to be dating her Ex-Boyfriend
- Actress Ada Karl laments over not being able to conduct some online activities linked to the US because she is in Nigeria
- Update: Ghanaian actress, Akuapem Poloo arrested over her nude photo with her seven-year-old son
- Checkout These Amazing Photos Of An African Woman Who Still Slays At 52(Photos)
- Dj Cuppy bags an endorsement deal with Platoon Music
- Hushpuppi: Woodbery defrauded US firm of $15.3m stashed away in Bitcoin wallet — FBI
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting chairman (Details)
- Cops search for perv who attempted to rape woman in Queens
- Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC acting chairman
- Slimmer Rob Kardashian attends July Fourth party after declaring he’s ‘back’
- COVID-19: Ogun teachers give conditions for school reopening
- We will not succumb to blackmail and manipulation – Ekiti APC Stakeholder Forum
- Mad O! Kanayo O. Kanayo Shows Appreciation After Successfully Passing His Law School Exams, Set To Become A Barrister
- Fernando Alonso to return to Formula 1 with Renault in 2021
- Halle Berry won’t play transgender man in movie after backlash
- Kourtney Kardashian Calls ‘KUWTK’ a ‘Toxic Environment,’ Shares What Her Life Is Like After Quitting the Show
- ONDO: Impeachment plans against the deputy gov thickens as proceedings to remove him starts
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Star Explains Why MCU Representation Is So Important: ‘Our Differences Make Us Special’
- EPL: Gleen Hoddle hints on Greenwood pushing Rashford out of Man Utd team
- Just in: Ngige meets NASS leadership, apologises for action of Keyamo
- Meghan Markle Fans Attack Queen Elizabeth and Royal Family for Failing to Protect Duchess
- Sheryl Sandberg denies Facebook is feeling pressure from ad boycott
- Reopen all Churches now: enough is enough — CAN
- Kidnappings: Absence of Judge stalls Wadume’s trial
- What is Blackout Day? Everything to know about the economic boycott
- Man City set to win Champions League battle against Real Madrid
- Fire ants are heading north as climate warms, researchers say
- BREAKING: President Buhari Suspends EFCC Acting Chairman, Magu
- Who Is Sebastian Athie? More About Disney Star Who Passed Away At 24 – Warritatafo
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: Fans React to Colt Johnson Coming Clean to His Mom About His Girlfriend
- “I Pity You, It Will HEND In THEARS” – Teni Mocks DJ Cuppy
- Man stabs wife to death in Jigawa
- [Breaking] Aftermath shouting match: Ngige in marathon meeting with Lawan, Others
- Michaela Coel Just Revealed Why She Refused to Sign a Deal With Netflix for ‘I May Destroy You’
- Deutsche Bank hit with $150 million penalty over Jeffrey Epstein ties
- Lightning strikes seven cows to death in Osun