The city’s acting correction union boss has been voted out in the first election since the group’s long-term ex-leader, Norman Seabrook, was convicted in a corruption scandal.
Members of the Correction Officers Benevolent Association elected Bonny Boscio in a landslide — an apparent repudiation of acting president Elias Husamadeen, who came in third.
Boscio netted 2,087 votes, while Albert Craig landed 971 and Husamadeen got just 815, according to the American Arbitration Association, which tallied the results on Saturday.
Husamadeen was vice-president when he took over the union in 2016 as interim president after Seabrook was convicted of accepting a $60,000 bribe in return for investing $20 million of COBA’s money in a hedge fund.
Seabrook had been president for 21 years.
“It’s the end of the Seabrook era,” said a source close to the union.
“WE WON! On behalf of the ENTIRE Boldest United Team, we are THANKFUL & GRATEFUL for the TREMENDOUS support of our Brother & Sister Officers,” Boscio said in a Facebook post.
Boscio said he’s committed to ensuring officers’ safety, protecting jobs, reducing needless discipline, boosting benefits and improving transparency involving union affairs.
“Come July 1st, we look forward to Restoring our Dignity & putting the BOLD back in the BOLDEST. THANK YOU so very much for STANDING with us & for your TRUST,” he said.
Boscio thanked both Husamadeen and Craig for their service to COBA, as well as the former executive board members.
But Boscio will face big challenges. Mayor Bill de Blasio and the City Council approved a plan to phase out jails on Rikers Island jails and replace them with four smaller, borough-based jails.
Now the new union leader may also have to confront potential layoffs because thanks to a sluggish economy triggered by the coronavirus pandemic.
Boscio was hired as a correction officer in 1999 and was named a COBA delegate representing the Bronx Detention Complex in 2005. He joined the union’s executive board in 2010.
Labor lawyer Arthur Schwartz monitored the election for the union and confirmed the results.
Source: New York Post
- Senate To Confirm 8 New Supreme Court Justices On Buhari’s RequestPresident Muhammadu Buhari has asked the Senate to approve the appointments of at least eight new Supreme Court Justices. This was contained in a letter read by the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, ...[Read more]
- Laycon and vee gets emotional, Reason will shock youVee and Laycon finally meets for the first time after leaving the house. It was an emotional time for the duo as they hugged each other so passionately shouting their surname. Fans got so unhappy ...[Read more]
- Biden and Harris release tax returns hours before first presidential debateCLEVELAND — Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden released his 2019 tax returns on Tuesday afternoon, just hours before his first debate with President Trump in Cleveland. “The American people ...[Read more]
- NeNe Leakes reads Wendy Williams and Andy Cohen for filthWith friends like these … NeNe Leakes isn’t done calling out former friend Wendy Williams and former boss Andy Cohen, as the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star took to her Youtube channel to address ...[Read more]
- Twitter buzzes with goodwill messages in commemoration of Lumba’s 56th birthdayVeteran highlife musician Daddy Lumba is being celebrated by music enthusiasts as he chalks 56 years today. – Advertisement – Some fans of the legend have taken to social media platforms, ...[Read more]
- MLB playoffs 2020: The rules changes that will stay in effectWith the MLB playoffs under way Tuesday, here’s a look at the format and some of the rules changes that will stay in effect — and those that won’t: MLB playoffs 2020 rules changes Roster size The ...[Read more]
- Indians vs. Yankees prediction: Gerrit Cole will bring it in Game 1Four more years! Vote him out! Four more years! Vote him out! Debate night in Cleveland. OK boys, bump elbows and come out fightin’. Should be fun. Will President Trump stick to the facts? Will Joe ...[Read more]
- Salt Bae’s restaurant apologizes after coronavirus closureA lawyer for a Boston steakhouse opened by the chef and social media star known as Salt Bae apologized Tuesday after the restaurant was shut down for violating coronavirus safety rules. Dennis ...[Read more]
- Yankees WAGs hit the road together for MLB playoffsThe Yankees’ biggest fans appear to be on the move. Ahead of Game 1 of the AL’s wild-card round between the Yankees and Indians in Cleveland, the wives and girlfriends of Yankees players — including ...[Read more]
- Jigawa Govt To Reopen Schools Soon – Gov. BadaruThe Jigawa State Government on Tuesday said that it will announce details on schools’ reopening across the state on Monday, Oct. 5. The state Governor, Muhammad Badaru made this known while fielding ...[Read more]
- FG declares October 1 public holidayThe Federal Government has declared Thursday, October 1 as public holiday to mark the nation’s 60th Independence anniversary. Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola made the announcement ...[Read more]
- Man stabs Queens straphanger with screwdriver during attempted robberyA brute pummeled a Queens straphanger and stabbed him with a screwdriver when he refused to hand over his wallet this week, cops said. A 42-year-old man was standing on the Manhattan-bound platform ...[Read more]
- Video game company sues Travis Scott for ripping off controller designA top gaming company is suing Travis Scott — alleging that the rapper was all thumbs when it came to knocking off its joysticks. Scott and his Cactus Jack label are being sued in federal court by ...[Read more]
- Hostage talks in Oregon end with 3 dead, including 11-year-old boyThree people were shot dead in Oregon — including an 11-year-old boy — after hostage talks abruptly ended and officers stormed the house, according to authorities. Deputies in Salem initially made ...[Read more]
- Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving reveal origins of Nets bromanceWhen the Nets landed Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving last offseason, the latter called it one of the biggest surprises in NBA history. And with the pair debuting Durant’s new podcast, they pulled the ...[Read more]
Join The Discussion👇🏾
- on “I Can’t Remember When I Had A S3kz With Any Man, So I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant ” – 17-year-old Girl Whose Newborn Was Allegedly Buried Alive Claims The traditional healer in whose Hafsat spent months in his house shoul…
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria THE LASTING SOLUTION TO NIGERIA IS UNITED STATE OF BIAFRA PERIOD .BUHA…
- on IPOB warns of continuous killing of members by security operatives Well for me ipob is for freedom
- on FG cries out, says IPOB bent on destroying Nigeria Are You sleeping when kanu said he will destroy Nigeria with truth. If…
- on ‘I Feel Beautiful When I Do Braids’- Tiwa Savage Reveals As She Shows Off New Hairstyle (PHOTO) Timeless beauty ageless too she is always pretty
- on BBNaija: “Ozo’s Family Doesn’t Want Nengi”- See What His Sister Posted Online That Got People Talking What ozo sister did is wrong. Why would she say that forgetting that N…
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition Rape: (Apart from people who rape with occuitic power with small girl…
- on #BBNaija: “I’m a big fan, this guy sweet die” – Mercy Eke gushes over Prince (Video) Med oooo🤨🤨🤨😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣
- on Laycon Finally Makes Housemates Understand Why He Wears Sweater And Socks 24/7 And It’s Heartbreaking- See Reactions From Nigerians Aww sorry laycon
- on Breaking!!! Kanu Promises to Drop Biafra Agitation on One Condition People must knew that lord lugard was not supported south protectorate…