… as Amaechi denounces violence, urges supporters to be lawful
By Egufe Yafugborhi
GOVERNOR Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has said the youth group, which in a recent viral video threatened to destroy the state in defense of Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi’s political interests, was embolden to act in such manner because Amaechi allegedly assured them of security cover.
The governor in media remarks, on Sunday, also said the pro-Amaechi group were further encouraged to make the threat, widely perceived as inciting, because Amaechi during his time as governor of Rivers also displayed similar impunity when he allegedly shut down courts in the state.
Wike blamed security agencies for turning a blind eye on the pro-Amaechi group’s threats of violence amid widespread calls for their arrest and prosecution.
He said: “It’s really unfortunate that some people can now want to destroy the state. They issued threats and the security agencies cannot come out to say we can’t tolerate such threat against the peace and existence of the state.
“I will not go to court against anybody because the threat is in the public domain. It is obvious, that they have the Police, Department of State Services, DSS, Air Force, Navy and the Army backing.
“Otherwise, how do you explain the long silence of the Nigeria security agencies over such threats already trending online?
“For whatever reason, why won’t they bother about the person making such threats because of an internal problem within APC?
“Remember, for the first time in the history of this country when Amaechi was governor, he shut down the courts for two years. Based on that experience, more threats and attacks were seen.
“The minister is now coming to say that he is not a man of violence, which is not true. We are not children to be so deceived. During the campaign leading to 2019 elections, he came to the state chanting war songs and nobody cautioned him.”
On perceived police frustration of Rivers State fight against COVID-19 pandemic, Wike lamented: “I have always said governors are not the real chief security officers. They are only chief logistics officers of their states, providing funds for security agencies’ operations.
“For us, we are talking about COVID-19 pandemic, which is commonplace across the country. The safety of the people is paramount and we signed an Executive Order, but a deputy commissioner went ahead to flout it.
“In fact, the Commissioner of Police was transferred, including the director of DSS, and the Air Force Commander because they worked with me to enforce COVID-19 protocols. The new people they have sent are also afraid. Such double standard in this country is not healthy.”
Cultism in Rivers
On Amnesty International labelling the state as welcoming to rampant cult violence and killings, Wike asked: “Why are they not talking about the insecurity across Nigeria, particularly killings done by bandits in some states?
“Is it because those states are controlled by the ruling party?
“Today, Rivers State is comparatively fairing well. We have fought cultists to a standstill. But you cannot say that is the case in Nigeria as a whole today. What has Amnesty said about killings by bandits in other states?”
On the perceived amicable resolution of the tension in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, before and during Friday’s Edo State governorship primary of the party, the governor expressed happiness over the elimination of litigations in the situation.
Amaechi denounces violence, urges supporters to be lawful
Meanwhile, Amaechi has denounced the action of the said support group.
Speaking through his Media Office, he said: “If you say you’re my supporter, you’ll know that I don’t just respect the law, I fear the law. Breaking the law can put you in jail. Because of the kind of words used in that video, I may have to address it.
“I believe that no matter how angry you are, no matter how institutions are manipulated, you cannot resort to violence. A judge once said ‘I am allowed to be wrong, that’s why you have the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court’.
“So if you think what the state judiciary is doing is wrong, then go to the Court of Appeal, go to the Supreme Court and ensure you exhaust the due process. No matter your frustration, you don’t have the right to take the law into your hands.
“I’m responding to those videos because they all said they are my supporters; those who made the comment and those who countered them: my message to everyone is to tell everybody supporting me to please remain calm and get out of violence.”
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Never Reveal These 6 Secrets About Your Personal Life To Anybody
- Kogi Gov’s Security Aide, Ariyo, Fired By Yahaya Bello
- 10 Things You Should Never Rush In Life, No Matter The Pressure.
- Tears, cheers greet rotation of troops in North-East
- 7 Things Your Boyfriend Does That Shows He Is Playing You For A Fool
- 7 Types of People You Shouldn’t Trust
- 10 Ways You’re Unknowingly Disrespecting Your Husband
- 10 Nigerian Celebrities With Many Children From Different ‘Baby Mamas’
- 7 things you should never Apologize for in Life
- Photos Of The US Prison Where Hushpuppi And Woodberry will likely be Detained
- ‘The Johnson’s’ Actress, Susan Pwajok, stuns fans with adorable new photos
- Hot! 5 Celebrities Rihanna has Dated
- Like Sister, Like Sister! Meet Bukunmi Oluwasina’s little sister who’s also an Actress
- Must Read! 8 Signs they shows a Girl is Lonely
- Main Reason Why Drake drew Lil Wayne’s Tattoo on his Upper left arm
- 10 Signs Someone is Losing Interest in You
- Top 5 American Rappers who married their High School Sweetheart
- MAD O! Erigga Reacts As Scammers Try To Scam Him With Promise Of A Job Opportunity
- Akwa Ibom Lifts Ban On Wedding And Burial Ceremonies
- Bobrisky’s boyfriend buys him a brand new car for keeping their relationship secret (Video)
- Solskjaer Gives Update On Squad Ahead Of BourneMouth Clash
- APC Fires Back At PDP Over Claims Of Plotting To Derail Edo Election
- 20 Cute Photos Of Muyiwa Kosoko, Jide Kosoko’s Handsome Son With Late wife, Henrietta
- Download Josh2Funny – Don’t Leave Me Mp3
- Falz Silences The Internet With A Question Only A Wise Person Can Answer [Details]
- Trump’s Ripped By Oglala Sioux President For Mount Rushmore Speech – Warritatafo
- Women who specialize in buying and selling of babies caught in Port Harcourt while negotiating the sale of a two-week-old baby (video)
- The story behind America’s national hymn
- Bayern Munich confirm Thiago departure rumours
- UK scraps quarantine for some visitors as pubs set to reopen
- Martinelli signs new long-term contract at Arsenal
- Femi Adelusi emerges MIPAN president
- ’90 Day Fiance’: Deavan Clegg Asks Fans for Money for Breast Implants and a ‘Confidence Boost’
- Ringo Starr’s Biggest UK Hit Featured a Heavy Dose of George Harrison Guitar
- What Happened to Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross’ Reality Show?
- Japan seeks extradition of ex-Green Beret, son who aided Ghosn escape
- The first Black Lives Matter wave led to 2K extra black homicides — but new wave will be worse
- World’s ‘first’ Gold-plated hotel where tea is served in a gold cup opens in Vietnam (Video)
- The Papers: ‘Eat out to help out’ and PM calls for restraint
- Kelly Rowland says she ‘almost lost everything,’ went ‘rich broke’
- Brazil set to pass 1.5M coronavirus cases as cities reopen
- Many Lagosians Rush To Pick Money Thrown By Burna Boy (Video)
- Why Meghan Markle’s Thai Coconut Curry Recipe Is Going Viral
- Read charge sheet of Hushpuppi’s crimes as he appeared in court today
- Who Is Ruston Kelly? Facts On The Singer-Songwriter – Warritatafo
- Man orders N230k iPhone XS Max from Computer village but gets well-packaged metallic object (Photos)
- Giada De Laurentiis’ Red, White, and Blue Salad Is a Must for the 4th of July Weekend
- Sadiya Umar Farouq calls for strong laws against rape offenders
- Potential fireworks shortage as America celebrates 4th of July holiday
- “Hushpuppi tried to steal $124 million from an English Premier League Club” — US Federal prosecutors officially charge Hushpuppi for fraud; faces 20 years in US prison.
- City Hall admits new budget dismantles unit for placard crackdown
- Hydroxychloroquine can help save hospitalized COVID-19 patients ― study
- A Few Billie Eilish’s Songs Made It to the ’13 Reasons Why’ Soundtracks
- Trump’s 4th of July military air show to fly from Boston, over NYC to DC
- Pacers’ Victor Oladipo won’t play in bubble due to re-injury risk