11 Nigerians have been arraigned in a US court for their alleged role in a large-scale conspiracy to commit $6m bank fraud in southern New Jersey and southeastern Pennsylvania.
The suspects identified as Sulaiman Dosunmu, 39; Tunde Adeowo, 40; Muritala Adeowo, 55; Ayanniyi Alayande, 47; Ahmmed Ponle, 41; Margiettu Kamu, 34; Rafiat Sarumi, 36; Babatunde Oke, 40; Adekunle Owolabi, 49; Olayinka Olaseinde, 42; Olugbenga Oyedele, 47 were each charged with bank fraud conspiracy in connection with a scheme that used hundreds of fraudulent accounts to defraud several major banks of $6 million and then laundered the money and send it overseas to other conspirators.
Documents filed by the US Department of Justice in court read;
The defendants are allegedly members of a Nigeria-based, multi-layered organization that engaged in a massive bank fraud conspiracy in several states, including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Rhode Island, between June 2016 and March 2020. Members of the group stole numerous business checks from the United States mail, altered the payee on the checks to a fraudulent name and deposited the checks in bank accounts that had been opened with forged foreign passport documents and fraudulent U.S. visas that matched the names on the stolen checks. Once the banks credited all or a portion of the funds to the accounts – but before the checks had cleared – the defendants withdrew the funds from ATMs or purchased money orders, using debit cards associated with the fraudulent accounts. Members of the organization have used over 400 fraudulent accounts with fake identity documents to defraud the banks.
The organization also laundered the proceeds of the fraud by several means, including using debit cards to purchase money orders from third party stores and using those money orders to purchase used automobiles from different automobile auction companies in Pennsylvania. The vehicles were then exported to Nigeria and other countries in Africa to launder the stolen funds and to increase profits by selling the vehicles at the higher market values obtained for vehicles in these foreign countries.
The bank fraud conspiracy count carries a maximum potential penalty of 30 years in prison and a maximum fine of $1 million.
This is coming barely two weeks after six Nigerians were also indicted in the United States for their alleged involvement in over $6m internet fraud.
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- Adidas HR executive steps down following allegations of racism
- Christian Slater Net Worth and How He Became Famous
- ‘The Office’: Rashida Jones Thought Fans Would Hate Her After a Karen and Jim Scene, But It Never Made the Cut
- Politicians playing games with COVID-19 – Gov Bello
- BREAKING: APC caretaker committee meets Akande
- When Will ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ Volume 2 Arrive on Netflix?
- COVID-19: OPay puts some business units on hold
- BREAKING: Ondo Health Commissioner confirmed dead
- GOP senators propose replacing Columbus Day with Juneteenth as federal holiday
- British singer Stefflon Don celebrates her boyfriend Burna Boy on his birthday (Video)
- Tesla crushes coronavirus delivery expectations, stock soars
- Alleged N700m fraud: Trial of APC’s Ize-Iyamu, ex-Edo dep gov, PDP chair resumes
- Two killed, five abducted in resumed Ebonyi, Cross River boundary dispute
- Man’s penis reattached nearly a full day after he cut it off — and it works
- Jada Pinkett Smith Addressed Swinging With Will Smith Rumors Before August Alsina Rumor
- De Blasio delays ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural in front of Trump Tower
- New Song: Qdot – Jegele
- One feared dead as Delta community resists suspect’s arrest
- Trump says economy is ‘roaring back’ after record jobs report
- Nigerian stock market may end 2020 in red – Prof Uwaleke
- 5 Things To Know About Jeffrey Epstein’s Ex – Warritatafo
- New Song: Koker – Bad
- Yankees, Mets are steps behind Red Sox in ticket refund policy
- OPay Puts Its Business, Including Oride, On Pause
- ‘The Old Guard’ Trailer: Watch Charlize Theron Kick Some Serious Butt in Netflix Thriller
- Bayelsa records 15th COVID-19 death
- JUST IN: Fears over Ondo Health Commissioner
- Andrea Petkovic shades Novak Djokovic amid tour backlash
- Coronavirus could still spark US financial crisis, Fed warns
- Domestic flight resumption: “Passengers seen sneezing on the aeroplane will be isolated”- Aero Contractors
- ‘Friends’ Theme Song Composers Added the Hand Claps to ‘I’ll Be There for You’ By Mistake, But the End Result Was ‘Magical’
- Antonio Brown posts video of workout with Russell Wilson
- Dubai Police Hands Hushpuppi, Woodperry Over To FBI