A dialogue between African Consuls General in the United States and diaspora leaders on issues of common interest was held alongside some elected public officers of the host coutry through Zoom.
The engagement was first of its kind and it came four months after the formation of the African Consuls General (ACG) forum in February.
No fewer than 150 people, including African Union Permanent Observer to the United Nations, Amb. Fatima Mohammed, and New York State senator, Mr Robert Jackson, participated in the conversation.
For over two hours, the participants addressed issues such as racism, discrimination, African unity, education, empowerment, trade, health, and culture and tourism as unifying tools.
In his opening remarks, pioneer Chairman of the ACG, Mr Benaoyagha Okoyen, emphasised the need for unity, cooperation and collaboration among Africans in the Diaspora.
Okoyen, who is the Consul General of Nigeria in New York, said it was important for Africans in the U.S. to be conscious of their roots.
He noted that by working together they would be able to mobilise their enormous resources towards the development of their respective countries and the continent in general.
“This informed the decision of the ACGs to come together as a force to work in harmony, and engage the host authorities to achieve our purpose”, he said.
In a goodwill message, Mohammed said the meeting was timely coming at a time that the black community in the U.S. was rising against the “scourge of racism, discrimination and intolerance”.
The AU permanent representative to the UN said that the role of the African Diaspora in the struggle for a just society could not be overemphasised.
“We as a people with our different colours, shapes and sizes spread all over the world in different sectors have a responsibility for the future of our people, no matter where we are based.
“So, my message for you today is to encourage you to collectively strive towards building nations worldwide.
“Let us build nations that strive towards eliminating discrimination; nations that see the strength in diversity, nations that help our citizens to gain full and equal participation in global development.
“We have to build nations that are able to celebrate our humanity and commit to wiping out discrimination and fear, while promoting equality and empowerment”, she said.
In separate remarks, Sen. Jackson and the President of Manhattan Borough, Ms Gale Brewer, condemned the renewed wave of racial discrimination in the U.S.
Jackson highlighted efforts by the New York senate to address the problem.
The lawmaker, who is a regular face in events organised by African Diaspora community, pledged his continued support to them.
Brewer thanked the African community for their leadership, support to each other and cooperation with host authorities, particularly in the fight against COVID-19.
“Sometimes you are too nice people, and it pains me that our agencies are not able to support you,” she said with a promise to change the situation.
In separate contributions, the African diaspora leaders also lauded the ACGs for the dialogue, which they suggested should be held regularly.
Mr Lucien Kouassi, who is the President of the Ivorian Association, decried the wide education gap between the white and black communities.
Kouassi appealed to the U.S. officials to facilitate the establishment of vocational schools in the black community.
He also urged the ACGs to “create a pipeline of skills that can connect the diaspora to areas of need in the motherland”.
For his part, a Nigerian diasporan leader, Mr Obed Monago, also lamented “lack of unity” between Africans in the U.S. and black Americans.
Monago, who is the Chairman, Board of Trustees, Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation, Americas, noted that the “huge gap” was a source of regular conflicts between both sides.
He appealed to the Consuls General to use their influence to build bridges of mutual understanding and unity between them.
The Consuls General of South Africa, Ghana, Algeria, Morocco, Cote D’Ivoire, Liberia, Senegal, Kenya, among others, also took part in the meeting.
Source: Vanguard News
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via WhatsApp: +2348034798719. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- “My Blessing” – Segun Ogungbe’s 2nd Wife, Wunmi Ajiboye says as she Shares Photos of her first son carrying Their Newborn Baby (PICS)
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Erigga – “AYEME” ft. Yungzee [Video + Audio]
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- Judge transfers suit seeking to nullify APC NEC meeting
- BREAKING: Nigerian govt postpones school resumption, 2020 WASSCE indefinitely
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Girl pretends to sleep after she’s caught stealing snacks
- BREAKING: EFCC picks Director of Operations, Mohammed Umar to replace Magu
- Nigerian students won’t write 2020 WAEC – FG
- Bell Biv DeVoe Member Ricky Bell Just Showed YouTube How to Do the ‘Poison’ Dance the Right Way
- Buahri appoints Mohammed Umar as new acting EFCC chairman
- Climate change: ‘Rising chance’ of exceeding 1.5C global target
- NYC shoe-repair shop that survived 9/11 now bouncing back from COVID-19 lockdown
- US suggests model transportation action plan to ease gridlock in Lagos
- TikTok Star Addison Rae Continues to Receive Backlash After Apologizing for Anti-Black Lives Matter Post
- Gov. Cuomo sent 6,300 COVID-19 patients to nursing homes during pandemic
- PDP Govs, Ex-minister Felicitate with Okowa at 61
- ONDO 2020: Why power of incumbency won’t help Akeredolu – Kekemeke
- Vp Osinbajo Denies Receiving N4bn from Magu –Aide
- Rob Shares Sweet Daughter Photo – Warritatafo
- COVID-19: Katsina State revises its 2020 budget from N244bn to N179bn
- Prime Suspect actor John Benfield dies aged 68
- COVID-19: No basis for legal actions against China, says Embassy
- Patrick Mahomes’ NFL Mega-Contract Could Actually Cost Him Money in the Long Run
- She is always on her phone and it makes me jealous- Husband of lady who shared ‘suicidal posts’ on Facebook says
- LASG empowers 300 victims of Abule-Egba pipeline explosion
- Will Smith opens up about racist treatment he’s received
- US coronavirus cases soar past 3 million mark
- US tourist accused of fatally stabbing Rome cop says he was beaten in custody
- Rob Kardashian Looking For Romance After Dramatic Weight Loss – Warritatafo
- “My family is dead to me” Boy filmed destroying his parents’ home because his mom refused to meet his demands speaks up (video)
- NYCFC back in action in second game of ‘MLS is Back’ tourney
- Alex Pullin dead – Australian Olympian dies in spearfishing accident
- Witness in Trump’s impeachment retires from military amid pressure
- Netflix Has Cancelled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series
- #Coronavirus: Public spending on crisis soars to £190bn
- Osinbajo never received N4billion from Magu ― Akande
- Schools not re-opening anytime soon — FG