By Chioma Onuegbu – Uyo
The people of Eastern Obolo local government area of Akwa Ibom State has lamented the alleged marginalisation of the area in allocation of resources and appointments by the state government and the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC.
The President of Oru Obolo, Mr. Ken Ukoima in a protest letter to President Muhammadu Buhari made available to newsmen yesterday in Uyo, noted that no indigene of Eastern Obolo had served on the Board of the NDDC since its creation, despite the status of the area as the largest oil-producing area in Akwa Ibom State.
Ukoima pointed out that the Act establishing the commission clearly stipulates that the Board shall consist of, among others, a Chairman and one person who shall be an indigene of an oil-producing area to represent each of the member states.
He, therefore, appealed to President Buhari to use his good office to redress the oppression and neglect of the area, stressing that the people would be grateful if given the opportunity to serve on the board of NDDC especially now that Akwa Ibom still has a chance to produce a director.
“His words, “Your Excellency since the establishment of Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), no indigene of Eastern Obolo has been appointed to serve on the board of the commission, yet Eastern Obolo is the largest oil-producing area in the state.
Akwa Ibom State presently accounts for about 40per cent of Nigeria’s 2.2million bpd of oil production.
” Eastern Obolo accounts for about 55per cent of total oil production from Akwa Ibom State in addition to 26m Standard cubic foot (scf) of gas daily. There are over 57 oil wells scattered within Eastern Obolo territory in onshore and offshore oil facilities.
“The neglect and oppression of Eastern Obolo is not only in denial of appointments in the state but also in the allocation of the resources and projects within the state by the NDDC and the state government as well.
“As the largest oil-producing state, Akwa Ibom has served as Chairman, Managing Director, in addition to four executive directors at different point in time in the commission. Akwa Ibom State’s tenure as Chairman on the board was served by an indigene of Nsit Ubium LGA, Amb. Sam Edem.
“Also, Bassey Dan-Abia from Esit Eket LGA served both as Acting Chairman and later Managing Director, though the tenure was truncated, and then Obong Nsima Ekere from Ikot Abasi LGA, the immediate past Managing Director of the commission. It is also on record that some of illustrious sons of Eastern Obolo made efforts and were assured of positions in the NDDC only to be denied at the nick of time”
Ukoima added that the state has also produced four executive directors of projects in the NDDC namely Udo Mboso from Onna LGA, while the trio of Isreal Ukott, Arc. I. Etteh and Edikan Eshiet hail from Ibeno local government area.
He equally pointed out that six indigenes of Akwa Ibom have also served at different times as State Representatives on the board of the commission namely late Udo Akpan from Ikot Abasi, and the trio of Moffat Philip and Bassey Dan Abia, Imaobong Inyang from Esit Eket LGA and Etim Inyang from Mbo local government area.
“Mr. President, your administration is riding high on the goodwill of the Almighty God and the Nigerian people because you are elected to correct the ills of the past. The change mantra of your government is not a facade as there are tangible evidence.
“We shall forever be grateful if your wind of change will blow into Akwa Ibom State and overturn the machinations and give Eastern Obolo the opportunity to serve on the board of the NDDC now as Akwa Ibom still have a chance to produce a director”, he stressed
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Suspected fraudster Ramon Abbas’s bail attempt fails in US
- Magu probe: Panel quizzes 3 EFCC operatives
- Disturbing footage captures three teenagers beating up a teen mom and her baby in Brooklyn (video)
- Ruth Kadiri Speaks On Will Smith Marriage (Read What She Said)
- FG may pay private school teachers’ salary arrears
- Canadian Rapper, Tory Lanez arrested on gun charge after house party fight got Megan Thee Stallion hospitalized
- Plane makes emergency landing, two men have been arrested after a note saying ‘explosives on board’ was found in toilet of Ryanair plane
- FG to unveil N65bn stimulus package for OPSN
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects over alleged armed robbery in Oyo
- Rita Edochie gives out daughter’s hand in marriage (photos)
- FG Promise Internet Data Slash For Nigerians
- Checkout The Chinese Vase Found In Pet-filled House Which Cost $9M (Photos)
- Regina Chukwu cries out, reveals why women are stone hearted and creatures people should fear
- Kellyanne Conway’s daughter posts ‘last tweet’ after being kicked off social media
- Adeboye’s senior Pastor, Tola Odutola resigns from RCCG, gives reason [VIDEO]
- Top RCCG pastor resigns, His reasons will shock you
- “He started crying when I wanted to leave” – Lady says as she shares video of her boyfriend in tears
- Couple celebrate ‘miracle twin babies’ as wife delivers another baby, 21 days after giving birth to the first (Video)
- Naya Rivera is ‘Glee’s latest tragedy
- Oyo records highest COVID-19 cases ever
- 595 new cases of COVID-19 death toll now 744
- Gerrit Cole works out at Yankee Stadium as ‘The Boss’ looks on
- US rejects Beijing’s claim to South China Sea, deepens Chinese anger
- Ex-agitators laud FG for cleansing Presidential Amnesty Programme
- Cross River: How Ayade can surpass Duke, Imoke’s achievements — Eteng, APC chieftain
- ”I no dey hear word, I get wahala” – Mercy Johnson says as she shares adorable video with her hubby
- No Hard Working Man Gives A Woman 24 Hours Of His Time – Mike Godson Says
- PDP can’t understand why President Buhari is silent as Akpabio gets dragged for sexual harassment
- EPL: Maguire blasts Man Utd players after 2-2 draw with Southampton
- Cops arrest man who attacked Post reporter with wooden board
- Minka Kelly urging balding tiger at zoo Carole Baskin is after be placed in sanctuary
- ‘X-Men’ Forced Superhero Movies to Evolve 20 Years Ago Today
- Fire guts illicit oil storage facility in Lagos
- House Democrats restarting effort to obtain Trump’s tax returns
- UK orders removal of Chinese telecom giant Huawei from its 5G network
- FG commends IITA’s impact in cassava seed sector
- Naval Chief Of Staff Has Seven Days To Explain Query Over N11.5m
- JUST IN: Supreme Court Dumps Alaibe’s Suit Against Diri’s Candidacy
- Jigawa approves one year tax payment holiday to business owners
- EPL: Man City still under investigation despite victory at CAS
- Mercy Aigbe shares old picture from 20 years ago when she was a UNILAG Student, fans react (PICS)
- Grant Imahara, ‘Mythbusters’ Host, Dies at 49
- Tom Bergeron, Erin Andrews out as ‘Dancing With the Stars’ hosts
- Washington name change is complicated by one frustrated trademark expert
- Man plans with police officers to arrest his girlfriend so he can propose to her (Video)
- Burger King launches Whopper made from cows on a green diet
- VP Osinbajo Speaks On Ambition For 2020 Presidency
- 774,000 jobs: Keyamo gets Buhari’s nod
- Police Seize Magu’s Bulletproof Cars
- Reps tells Egypt, Kenya to ask their candidates for DG, WTO to step down for Okonjo Iweala
- FG appoints, Daukoru, Ikem-Obih, others to NLNG, BGT boards
- EFCC Presents Witness Against Mompha’s Accomplices
- Mythbusters TV Host Dies At 49
- Abia Govt takes position on calls for Speaker’s resignation over alleged allegiance to Orji Uzor Kalu
- Crossdresser, Bobrisky announces he is expecting his first child