Boeing is slated to start a series of test flights Monday that could play an important role in returning its troubled 737 MAX jet to the skies, according to reports.
The flights will reportedly help the Federal Aviation Administration determine whether Boeing has done enough to fix the jet’s safety problems in the 15 months since it was grounded following two crashes that killed 346 people.
The certification test, set to take place over at least three days in Washington state, will focus on the stall-prevention software that played a key role in both crashes, Reuters reported. The first flight is set to take off Monday following several hours of briefing, according to the news agency.
In a Sunday email to congressional staff, the FAA said the test flights were allowed to start after regulators finished a lengthy review of the “system safety assessment” that Boeing submitted, Bloomberg News reported. The agency added that it has not yet decided whether the 737 MAX can return to service, a process that will reportedly take months more.
In a statement to The Post, Boeing said it continues “to work diligently on safely returning the 737 MAX to commercial service” but did not confirm when the test flights will take place or what they will involve.
“We defer to the FAA and global regulators on the certification process,” Boeing said.
The FAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday morning.
Boeing shares jumped 8.1 percent in premarket trading Monday at $183.70 as of 7:27 a.m.
The pair of 737 MAX crashes in Ethiopia and Indonesia sparked a massive crisis for Boeing, which has also suffered in recent months from reduced demand for air travel as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Regulators grounded the plane in March 2019, and a flurry of investigations has followed — including a reported criminal probe into various safety problems on the 737 MAX assembly line. Boeing forced out CEO Dennis Muilenburg in December amid a backlash over the crashes and handed the reins to chairman David Calhoun.
Boeing delivered just 50 planes in the first quarter of this year, down from 149 a year earlier. The Chicago-based company’s share price ended last week about 55 percent lower than the day the feds grounded the 737 MAX.
With Post wires
Source: New York Post
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Suspected fraudster Ramon Abbas’s bail attempt fails in US
- Magu probe: Panel quizzes 3 EFCC operatives
- Disturbing footage captures three teenagers beating up a teen mom and her baby in Brooklyn (video)
- Mercy Aigbe shares old picture from 20 years ago when she was a UNILAG Student, fans react (PICS)
- ”I no dey hear word, I get wahala” – Mercy Johnson says as she shares adorable video with her hubby
- Ruth Kadiri Speaks On Will Smith Marriage (Read What She Said)
- FG may pay private school teachers’ salary arrears
- Canadian Rapper, Tory Lanez arrested on gun charge after house party fight got Megan Thee Stallion hospitalized
- Tacha And Frodd Reconcile; Share Friendly Hug (Photo)
- Plane makes emergency landing, two men have been arrested after a note saying ‘explosives on board’ was found in toilet of Ryanair plane
- FG Promise Internet Data Slash For Nigerians
- FG to unveil N65bn stimulus package for OPSN
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects over alleged armed robbery in Oyo
- Rita Edochie gives out daughter’s hand in marriage (photos)
- Checkout The Chinese Vase Found In Pet-filled House Which Cost $9M (Photos)
- Regina Chukwu cries out, reveals why women are stone hearted and creatures people should fear
- Kellyanne Conway’s daughter posts ‘last tweet’ after being kicked off social media
- Adeboye’s senior Pastor, Tola Odutola resigns from RCCG, gives reason [VIDEO]
- Osun government eases lockdown in 4 LGAs
- Top RCCG pastor resigns, His reasons will shock you
- “He started crying when I wanted to leave” – Lady says as she shares video of her boyfriend in tears
- Couple celebrate ‘miracle twin babies’ as wife delivers another baby, 21 days after giving birth to the first (Video)
- Naya Rivera is ‘Glee’s latest tragedy
- Oyo records highest COVID-19 cases ever
- Ex-agitators laud FG for cleansing Presidential Amnesty Programme
- Girl commits suicide over fights with brother in Lagos
- Ray J and Princess Love are back together, reconcile after divorce filing
- Court jails two internet fraudsters in Ibadan
- Why ‘Psych’ star James Roday embraced his birth name, Rodriguez
- “This looks so unhealthy” – Mr Ibu scares followers with his huge potbelly (Photo)
- Amber Heard called ‘fat’ Johnny Depp ‘washed up’ during island attack, court hears
- Farmer, 29, Remanded For Alleged Armed Robbery In Makurdi
- Researchers create heated air filter that ‘instantly’ kills coronavirus
- Breaking: Special Public Works Programme kicks off nationwide
- Apple asks retail employees to work remotely as pandemic rages on
- House of Reps back Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for WTO top job
- Reps ask Nigerian govt to reverse decision on WAEC
- Fans Slams John Okafor Over Unusual Pot Belly
- Elena Delle Donne in shock as WNBA denies her coronavirus request
- Three key players to watch as Chelsea clash with Norwich City at Stamford Bridge
- Klopp opens up on CAS reversal of Man City’s Euro ban
- N20billion loan: “We won’t allow Obaseki to mortgage Edo future” – Rights group
- “Ned Nwoko is a dirty old bastard” – Lady blasts Ned Nwoko for saying he married Regina Daniels because she was a virgin
- COVID-19: WHO reacts to reopening of schools amid pandemic
- East Harlem teen among latest victims of NYC shooting surge
- Senate reviews punishment for Kidnapping, rape
- Katy Perry headlining 3D ‘Tomorrowland’ music festival
- Daniel Lewis Lee is first federal inmate executed in 17 years
- Kelly Preston’s best movie roles from ‘Twins’ to ‘Jerry Maguire’
- Pastor Adeboye Receives Backlash After Birthday Message To Wife
- Lea Michele pays tribute to ‘Glee’ co-stars Naya Rivera and Cory Monteith
- Akwa Ibom communities raise alarm as Udom Emmanuel abandons 55.1km superhighway project
- Hillary Clinton Predicts a Trump Loss in November “In Both the Popular Vote and the Electoral College”
- ‘Glee’ star Kevin McHale believes Cory Monteith helped ‘find’ Naya Rivera
- Naya Rivera’s heartbreaking duet with son shared by ‘Glee’ co-star Amber Riley