…Says crisis in ruling party’s danger for Nigeria
…Appeals to INEC to suspend Edo, Ondo election for Ajimobi
By Ibrahim HassanWuyo
The Labour Party (LP) Gubernatorial candidate in Kwara state in the 2019 elections, Comrade Issa Aremu has hailed President Muhammadu Buhari’s intervention at the heat of the crisis in the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.
He appealed to INEC to suspend Edo and Ondo elections in honour of late Ajibola Ajimobi. Aremu, a member of National Institute Kuru Jos, said on Sunday in Kaduna that although he was not a member of the APC, any crisis in the ruling APC should be of utmost concern to compatriots.
According to him, “ a mark of statesmanship’ the recent intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari in steering the ruling party leadership from what he called “mutually destructive brinkmanship” and “imminent “ politicide” which he defined as additive acrimony and deafening collapse of compromise, comradeship and cooperation.”
He said “against the background of recent mutual suspensions, serial protests at APC secretariat and eventual defection of Governor Godwin of Edo state from APC to PDP, President Buhari last Tuesday presided over an emergency NEC of the party during which he advised members of the party to bury hatchet, warning that “mutating disagreements have dire consequences and could lead to party self destruction”.
Aremu observed that a crisis within a ruling party must be of grave concern because of what he perceived as it’s adverse implications for good governance.
He said “that a ruling party in crisis means actually a nation in “governance hemorrhage”.
He recalled that the internal crisis which rocked the ruling PDP created an atmosphere for deepening security challenge, the worst expression being the kidnapping of chibok girls in 2014 by Boko Haram militants, worsened corrupt practices and reversal of economic growth of earlier years from Nigeria was yet recover.
“President Buhari has not just saved his party from self destruct ( his words! ) but has commendably inadvertently refocused the attention of all Nigerians to the current challenges of governance, the worst manifestation being the huge spikes in COVID:19 infection and fatality rates, ongoing commendable Presidential Task force interventions and the newly announced complementary Economic Sustainability agenda, “he said.
Aremu,a two time former Vice President of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, and currently Vice President of IndustriALL Global Union, called for an urgent “quality control” of the country’s democratic process through what he called a strategic and systematic inculcation of “national ethics of Discipline, Integrity, Dignity of Labour, Social, Justice, Religious Tolerance, Self-reliance and Patriotism as envisaged by Chapter 11 of the 1999 constitution dealing with the Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy.
The frontline Labour leader said notwithstanding the “ongoing political discordant voices” within the ruling parties at national and states levels, Nigeria remains “the largest democracy destination” in Sub-Sahara Africa, citing as many as 80 million voters, 18 political parties after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had deregistered 74 political parties, thousands of old and new breed politicians, hundreds of legislators and governors as the “strengths” of Nigeria’s uninterrupted civil rule since 1999.
He however lamented that “political entrepreneurs and insular political warriors had since replaced genuine patriotic farsighted politicians of the first and second democratic republic, adding that “most of today’s politicians stood for no principles making them vulnerable, dysfunctional and inclusive of self destruction”.
According to him, it was time for “quality democratic process” in which “values and ethics in terms of ideology must return to politics and politics must return to ethics and ideology”.
He said more than ever before, Nigerian political class suffers “insufficiency of tolerance”, blind ambition without vision, “much needed compromises, patience and unacceptable deficits of patriotism and cooperation needed for nation building.”
He therefore called for what he called a new political movement for a truly progressive Nigeria with new Democratic culture that “serves the people, the people, the people before self .”
“Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria’s call obey, To serve our Fatherland, With love and strength and faith, The labour of our heroes past.” alluding to the first stanza of the national anthem.
Commenting on the perceived failures of Adams Oshiomhole in politics as failure of organized labour in politics, Comrade Aremu said on the contrary the challenges facing Oshimhole showed that democracy was too important to be left to any group whether, businessmen, contractors, lawyers or ex-military men, trade unionists or comrades.
” Democracy is about inclusion, contestation and those who win and ask for equity must come with democratic clean hands, failing which they face the consequences regardless of what they are called comrades or conmen.”
Aremu said the he was among the earlier supporter of Oshiomhole as the second chairman of the ruling APC in the belief that as a former Union organizer, bargainer, negotiator and statesman, globally adjudged two term successful Edo Governor, with rich background in art of consultation, democracy, team work, persuasion would reinvent APC.
He said progressive forces were however saddened that Oshiomole would preside over a ruling party ,the trademarks of which are “whimsical recourse to extra- constitutional legal pursuits with conflicting judgements, not justice, commercialization of nominations and candidatures, routing candidates through sensational findings on certifications even when Supreme Court had pronounced on the stupidity of papers, fetish, all combine to discredit the political class.
“There is so much whispers that all politicians are corrupt without credibility, scandalously that himself is a new- Godfather keeping elected legislators in Abuja instead of encouraging them to play politics a home”, he alleged.
Aremu insisted that “Nigeria and Africa need more tested trade unionists and non-state civil society actors in governance to uplift Africa from underdevelopment and inequality into prosperity and equity, citing , South Africa which elected Comrade Cyril Ramaphosa, as the new South Africa President having also won as the Deputy President of the ruling African National Congress (ANC), the oldest political movement in Africa.)
He also recalled that great pioneer unionists like late Michael Imoudu and Wahab Goodluck were active partisans who fought for independence and democracy with great politicians like Nnamdi Azikwe in NCNC.
He said it was gratifying that immediate-past National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomhole, has accepted the decision of the party’s National Executive Committee that dissolved the rowdy clumsy National Working Committee which he chaired and he even told his lawyers to withdraw all suits in court in obedience to the appeal of the President that all contending parties within the party withdraw their cases from the court.
He said it was time for a bipartisan governance to fight the scourge of COVID: 19, damn the Virus and ensure sustainable livelihoods through the new sustainability plan.
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- See List of Properties Seized From Disgraced Nigerian Fraudster, Hushpuppi
- 10 Forbidden Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit (Photos)
- Have You Heard About The “Temple of Pythons” in Benin: See Photos of How it Looks Like
- FBI Reveals The $15 Million Stolen By Woodberry From Two Chicago Based Company May Not Be Retrieved.. READ WHY
- Okunnu shares beautiful photos of her Daughter, Ayomide Who Just Completed High School in Canada
- See Why Patience Ozokwor Is Not Featuring In Movies Anymore
- Mide Martins reveals she didn’t marry Afeez Owo for his looks
- Adedimeji Lateef weds ‘girlfriend’ Adebimpe Oyebade…fans react (photos)
- Thanks For Taking Away My Virginity – 13-Year-Old Girl Tells Boyfriend As She Celebrates Him On His Birthday
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Actress in The World
- Makeup artist, Deborah Tushima allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party (PICS)
- Lady With Massive Behind Causes Stir On Facebook (Photos & Video) )
- Why Ajimobi’s Wife Denied Oyo Deputy gov Access to Husband’s 8th-day Fidau Prayer
- Adeniyi Johnson Shares Photos Showing How He And Wife, Seyi Edun, Behave When They Meet On Set (PICS)
- Ex-LASIMRA boss, Jide Odekunle, dies of COVID-19 complications in Lagos
- Kano Hisbah impound tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol
- Dubai Decide To Build An Underwater Floating Train. See photos
- The Break Up Was Good’ – Banky W Mocks DJ Cuppy
- Meet The Man That Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry to The FBI
- See Photo of Jaden Smith and his father will Smith that has got people talking (see screenshots)
- I Would Like To Marry Lyta’- IG Model, Coco Brown Tells Regina Daniels’ Ex, Somadina
- ‘Ned Dey Enjoy O’ – Social Media User Says After Seeing Ned’s Moroccan Wife’s Photo
- Actor Adedimeji Lateef marries his girlfriend Adebimpe Oyebade
- What Daniel Radcliffe ‘Got Away With’ While Filming ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend’
- Nigerian Musician, Skiibii Shows Off His New Mansion On His 28th Birthday (Photos)
- Princess Diana Had the ‘Best Vacation’ at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Colorado Home
- Photographer sets up blind date photo-shoot between man and woman who were meeting for the first time (Photo)
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 5’: Do Fans Believe Alexis Mateo or India Ferrah After the Snatch Game Episode?
- With vandalism and personal threats, protests have gone beyond ‘peaceful’
- How Did Demi Lovato and Her Boyfriend Max Ehrich Meet?
- Remember When Kylie Jenner and Jaden Smith Dated?
- Conte expects Inter players to be angry after Bologna defeat
- NFL training camp rules set high bar for players to return from coronavirus
- Judi Dench Reveals How Making Tik Tok Videos ‘Saved’ Her Life
- ‘Lost’ star Josh Holloway on why he joined cable hit ‘Yellowstone’
- Controversial Mom Farrah Abraham Revealed She Had the Sex Talk With Her 11-Year-Old Daughter
- Silva says Man City has no excuse for poor away form
- NYC tattoo shop says coronavirus is becoming sought-after ink design
- The British Royal Family Is ‘Very Distressed’ That Meghan Markle Felt Unprotected During Her Pregnancy, Expert Claims
- COVID-19: Madagascar places capital on lockdown as cases rise
- Mark Cuban Supports Kanye West For President Over Trump: Tweets – Warritatafo
- ‘Outer Banks’ Fans Appreciate the Show’s Ability to Tackle Tough Issues
- Does Uncle Ben from ‘Spider-Man’ Exist in the MCU? Fans Think It’s Unlikely
- Bianca Williams: Athlete accuses police of racial profiling after vehicle search
- ‘Friends’: Network Execs Insisted on Adding 7th Cast Member ‘Pat the Cop’ Until Writers Convinced Them to Kill the Role
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: A Leaked Casting Call Reveals That There May Be a New Spinoff in the Works
- ‘Supergirl’: Will Mon-El Return Now That Chris Wood’s Latest Project is Dead?
- Bryson DeChambeau flexes his new muscles to win at Rocket Mortgage
- Janet Jackson Shows Off Braids While Driving Her Range Rover In London – Warritatafo
- Kansas newspaper’s cartoon equating governor’s mask mandate with Holocaust stirs controversy
- Sergio Ramos scores 22nd consecutive penalty as Madrid beat Bilbao
- ‘The Young and the Restless’ Bryton James is So Talented Fans Can’t Get Enough
- Kanye West’s Presidential Bid Sparks Memories of When He Lived in China
- Queen Elizabeth Is Very Nervous About Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Next Moves, Expert Says
- Buhari condemns Boko Haram’s attack on UN helicopter in Borno