A Chicago man is accused of killing two teenagers at a convenience store this month after they asked how tall he was, authorities said on Thursday.
Laroy Battle, 19, reportedly opened fire on Jasean Francis, 17, and Charles Riley, 16, in a back ally around 5 p.m. on June 20 after they and a friend walked home from buying candy at the store — following a brief encounter with the suspect.
“The victims commented, because, since Battle is quite tall, and they asked him how tall he was and you know, hoped to be that tall someday,” Deputy Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan told Chicago’s WLS-TV. “And unfortunately, obviously we’ll never see the full growth of these poor children.”
The teenagers, described as “very good kids from really excellent families,” were reportedly asked by their mothers to buy candy at the store. They didn’t know Battle, but after asking about his 6-foot-3 height, he reportedly followed them out and fired nine rounds at the teenagers, police said.
Francis was shot in the back, chest and left hand, while Riley was shot in the back and left leg. Both were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where they were pronounced dead, according to the station. The third teenager was not struck
“He was a kid,” said Latonya Pettit, Francis’ aunt. “Liked video games, snacks. That was his thing. He would walk into this hospital gift shop daily and purchase snacks.”
Battle was arrested after members of the community identified surveillance video of the suspect that had been released by police, Deenihan said.
“To the community members who stepped forward with information – thank you. Detectives were able to quickly identify Battle, but it was the help we received from the community that led to his arrest,” Chicago Police wrote on Twitter.
The suspect — who has three previous arrests and one previous conviction for unlawful use of a weapon — admitted that he was the person seen on camera but failed to offer a motive in the fatal shooting, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
Riley and Francis were reportedly among 12 minors struck by gunfire during a violent Father’s Day weekend that reportedly saw 104 people shot in the city, the paper reported.
Violence in Chicago last weekend also saw 13 people killed in shootings – including a 1-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl, reports say.
Battle was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and possession of a controlled substance, according to police.
Source: New York Post
What will make you commit suicide?
- Nigerian boy who scattered his parents house explains what actually happened
- Wonder Shall Never End – Reactions as Photo Of A Lady who Bleached All Her Face But Left The Legs goes viral (PICS)
- Wild video shows woman steal pedestrian’s sneakers, strip naked in NYC
- Bukunmi Oluwasina Looks completely different in Kunle Afolayan’s Citation Movie (VIDEO)
- “There is nowhere we want to go” – Faithia Williams speaks on how she and Ex-Hsuband, Saidi Balogun meets and why she stops kissing or playing romantic movie roles (VIDEO)
- Funke Akindele gifts Pa James a new house after his house was wrecked by flood
- “Dr Anu showed me pepper” – Botched surgery survival, Omohtee shares her story
- New Song: Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love
- UPDATE: There was no snow in Anthony Village Lagos, govt reveals what happened
- Man builds a portable mansion after being homeless for 4 years, shares inspiring story (Photos)
- Residents Panic over white substance seen at Anthony village in Lagos (Video)
- Hot Music: Saido Pee – Hello God (Prod. By Smart)
- ‘Jersey Shore’ Star Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi’s Daughter Can Make This 1 Iconic Face Perfectly
- “Jesus did not destroy a single shrine” – Daddy Freeze frowns at demolition of church of Satan in Abia
- Daddy Freeze frowns at the demolition of a shrine & the arrest of its founder in Abia State
- Man who was homeless for 4 years finally becomes a House-owner, shares inspiring story
- Hushpuppi has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in prison – Kemi Olunloyo
- Jodie Comer’s Alleged Boyfriend Has Fans Livid Because He Seems To Be a Trump Supporter
- Ivory Coast Prime Minister Coulibaly dies aged 61
- Hushpuppi allegedly tests positive to Coronavirus in US prison
- How Kim Kardashian West Is Related to George W. Bush by Blood
- Brie Larson Is Going to Get a Lot of YouTube Hate, Fans Warn
- President Buhari replaces Akpabio , one other non-career Ambassador designate
- Mixtape: DJ Wapsam – Cruise Mix
- Double blessings as real estate mogul gifts Pa James a plot of land shortly after Funke Akindele gave him a new house (PICS)
- Sister Kyle Gives Update – Warritatafo
- Miguel Andujar has no problem being Yankees’ utility guy
- Man Utd’s Solskjaer takes decision on Pogba’s future
- COVID-19: 408 Nigerians evacuated from India, UAE arrive Nigeria
- Nigeria records more COVID-19 cases as death toll rises to 684
- MLS returns after 8-minute, 46-second moment of silence
- Borno: Chibok communities reveal massive killings by Boko Haram
- BTS: Jungkook Proves He Still Rules the Internet After Posting a Selfie on Weverse
- Herdsmen attack: ASETU calls for anti-open grazing law
- Shorthanded Net will be relying on Caris LeVert to lead
- George Floyd: Officer told dying man to ‘stop yelling’
- More than 600 firms bid for Nigeria’s 57 marginal oil fields
- English Premier League results, scorers ― collated
- Peru’s president calls general election for April 2021
- Liverpool boost record bid, Man City crush Newcastle
- No ‘softening’ from Liverpool as Salah keeps record chase on track
- Impotent arraigned for allegedly ‘fingering’ minor in Osun
- Gunmen kidnap ex-customary court judge in Abia
- California waitress explains why she canceled tech CEO’s racist rant at Asian family
- Internet fraudster kills commercial motorcyclist, injures passenger in Delta
- Fears in Ondo, as doctors forcefully discharge COVID-19 patients
- TSA improves COVID-19 safety precautions after whistleblower complaint
- Solskjaer realistic on transfers but keen to keep Pogba
- Filmed New ‘Malcolm & Marie’ In Quarantine – Warritatafo
- University of Delaware sued for Joe Biden’s Senate records
- Reopening of schools: Why Nigeria may not follow Ghana’s step now — Investigation
- Domestic violence: Police arrest woman for allegedly killing husband in Abia
- Nigerian students won’t write 2020 WAEC – FG
- Bell Biv DeVoe Member Ricky Bell Just Showed YouTube How to Do the ‘Poison’ Dance the Right Way
- Buahri appoints Mohammed Umar as new acting EFCC chairman