A Chicago man is accused of killing two teenagers at a convenience store this month after they asked how tall he was, authorities said on Thursday.
Laroy Battle, 19, reportedly opened fire on Jasean Francis, 17, and Charles Riley, 16, in a back ally around 5 p.m. on June 20 after they and a friend walked home from buying candy at the store — following a brief encounter with the suspect.
“The victims commented, because, since Battle is quite tall, and they asked him how tall he was and you know, hoped to be that tall someday,” Deputy Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan told Chicago’s WLS-TV. “And unfortunately, obviously we’ll never see the full growth of these poor children.”
The teenagers, described as “very good kids from really excellent families,” were reportedly asked by their mothers to buy candy at the store. They didn’t know Battle, but after asking about his 6-foot-3 height, he reportedly followed them out and fired nine rounds at the teenagers, police said.
Francis was shot in the back, chest and left hand, while Riley was shot in the back and left leg. Both were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where they were pronounced dead, according to the station. The third teenager was not struck
“He was a kid,” said Latonya Pettit, Francis’ aunt. “Liked video games, snacks. That was his thing. He would walk into this hospital gift shop daily and purchase snacks.”
Battle was arrested after members of the community identified surveillance video of the suspect that had been released by police, Deenihan said.
“To the community members who stepped forward with information – thank you. Detectives were able to quickly identify Battle, but it was the help we received from the community that led to his arrest,” Chicago Police wrote on Twitter.
The suspect — who has three previous arrests and one previous conviction for unlawful use of a weapon — admitted that he was the person seen on camera but failed to offer a motive in the fatal shooting, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
Riley and Francis were reportedly among 12 minors struck by gunfire during a violent Father’s Day weekend that reportedly saw 104 people shot in the city, the paper reported.
Violence in Chicago last weekend also saw 13 people killed in shootings – including a 1-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl, reports say.
Battle was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and possession of a controlled substance, according to police.
Source: New York Post
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Magu probe: Panel quizzes 3 operatives
- Suspected fraudster Ramon Abbas’s bail attempt fails in US
- Magu probe: Panel quizzes 3 EFCC operatives
- Disturbing footage captures three teenagers beating up a teen mom and her baby in Brooklyn (video)
- Ruth Kadiri Speaks On Will Smith Marriage (Read What She Said)
- FG may pay private school teachers’ salary arrears
- Canadian Rapper, Tory Lanez arrested on gun charge after house party fight got Megan Thee Stallion hospitalized
- FG to unveil N65bn stimulus package for OPSN
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects over alleged armed robbery in Oyo
- Rita Edochie gives out daughter’s hand in marriage (photos)
- Checkout The Chinese Vase Found In Pet-filled House Which Cost $9M (Photos)
- Plane makes emergency landing, two men have been arrested after a note saying ‘explosives on board’ was found in toilet of Ryanair plane
- FG Promise Internet Data Slash For Nigerians
- Regina Chukwu cries out, reveals why women are stone hearted and creatures people should fear
- Kellyanne Conway’s daughter posts ‘last tweet’ after being kicked off social media
- Adeboye’s senior Pastor, Tola Odutola resigns from RCCG, gives reason [VIDEO]
- Top RCCG pastor resigns, His reasons will shock you
- “He started crying when I wanted to leave” – Lady says as she shares video of her boyfriend in tears
- Couple celebrate ‘miracle twin babies’ as wife delivers another baby, 21 days after giving birth to the first (Video)
- Naya Rivera is ‘Glee’s latest tragedy
- Oyo records highest COVID-19 cases ever
- 595 new cases of COVID-19 death toll now 744
- US rejects Beijing’s claim to South China Sea, deepens Chinese anger
- Ex-agitators laud FG for cleansing Presidential Amnesty Programme
- Cross River: How Ayade can surpass Duke, Imoke’s achievements — Eteng, APC chieftain
- Tom Bergeron, Erin Andrews out as ‘Dancing With the Stars’ hosts
- Washington name change is complicated by one frustrated trademark expert
- Man plans with police officers to arrest his girlfriend so he can propose to her (Video)
- Burger King launches Whopper made from cows on a green diet
- VP Osinbajo Speaks On Ambition For 2020 Presidency
- Police Seize Magu’s Bulletproof Cars
- Reps tells Egypt, Kenya to ask their candidates for DG, WTO to step down for Okonjo Iweala
- FG appoints, Daukoru, Ikem-Obih, others to NLNG, BGT boards
- EFCC Presents Witness Against Mompha’s Accomplices
- Mythbusters TV Host Dies At 49
- Abia Govt takes position on calls for Speaker’s resignation over alleged allegiance to Orji Uzor Kalu
- Crossdresser, Bobrisky announces he is expecting his first child
- ‘Expecting Amy’ Should Be Required Viewing in All Health Classes
- MultiChoice Nigeria unveils N85m grand prize for BBNaija season 5 winner
- Ghislaine Maxwell set to appear in Manhattan federal court today
- Tom Bergeron Leaves ‘Dancing with the Stars’ After 15 Years
- ONDO 2020: Disqualified PDP aspirant declares support for defected Deputy gov
- Actress, Regina Chukwu cries out that women are wicked, and she fears them
- 1,091 COVID-19 cases recorded in Ogun
- Jets need $6.5 million Breshad Perriman gamble to pay off
- Osinbajo Is Not Contesting For Presidency In 2023, Aide Says
- EFCC tells court to deny popular social media influencer, Adeherself bail
- ONDO 2020: We support Akeredolu reelection― APC National Youth leaders
- Malian protest leader labels arrest as ‘assassination attempt’
- Billionaire, Prince Arthur Eze says only God can make an Igbo man President
- Banditry: Arewa Group drums support for Army’s Operation Sahel Sanity
- How To Build Your Own Backyard Movie Theater For Summer 2020
- JPMorgan Chase beats estimates, but second quarter profits plunge
- EPL: Lampard to offer Kepa plus cash for Atletico Madrid’s Oblak
- EFCC: Why IG of Police can’t grant Ibrahim Magu bail