The Chinese government on Monday June 29, announced that it will be imposing visa restrictions on US citizens who had “behaved egregiously” over Hong Kong dispute.
On Friday, US President Donald Trump’s administration said it was restricting US visas for a number of unspecified Chinese officials for infringing on the autonomy of the Asian financial hub.
In response, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said Monday that the US “scheme… to obstruct the passage of the Hong Kong national security law will never prevail”.
“To target the US’s above wrongful actions, China has decided to impose visa restrictions against American individuals who have behaved egregiously on matters concerning Hong Kong,” Zhao said.
China’s Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian who made the announcement after Washington said it would restrict US visas for Chinese officials, warned the US government against meddling in Hong Kong affairs as it will come with strong countermeasures.
“The U.S. is attempting to obstruct China’s legislation for safeguarding national security in the HK SAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) by imposing the so-called sanctions, but it will never succeed.
“In response … China has decided to impose visa restrictions on U.S. individuals with egregious conduct on HK related issues.”
China’s legislature is expected to pass a national security law for Hong Kong on Tuesday, and critics have stated that it will severely limit opposition politics and freedom of speech in the city.
While China has insisted that the law was “purely an internal affair of China, and no foreign country has the right to interfere”, the US, UK, Australia and Canada have expressed deep concern and also averred that the law could be used to stifle dissent.
The U.S. Senate last week, approved a bill that would impose mandatory sanctions on people or companies that back efforts to restrict Hong Kong’s autonomy. It includes secondary sanctions on banks that do business with anyone backing any crackdown on the territory’s autonomy.
Hong Kong, a semi-autonomous region and a former British Colony became part of China in 1997.
Source: Linda Ikeji’s Blog
What will make you commit suicide?
- Never Reveal These 6 Secrets About Your Personal Life To Anybody
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu is my Leader, we are not quarreling – Uche Mefor clears air
- Kogi Gov’s Security Aide, Ariyo, Fired By Yahaya Bello
- 10 Things You Should Never Rush In Life, No Matter The Pressure.
- 7 Types of People You Shouldn’t Trust
- 7 Things Your Boyfriend Does That Shows He Is Playing You For A Fool
- Tears, cheers greet rotation of troops in North-East
- 10 Ways You’re Unknowingly Disrespecting Your Husband
- Wizkid’s Son, Zion Makes The Ovaries of Women Churn In An All White Burberry Shirt (Photo)
- 10 Nigerian Celebrities With Many Children From Different ‘Baby Mamas’
- 7 things you should never Apologize for in Life
- Photos Of The US Prison Where Hushpuppi And Woodberry will likely be Detained
- ‘The Johnson’s’ Actress, Susan Pwajok, stuns fans with adorable new photos
- Hot! 5 Celebrities Rihanna has Dated
- Like Sister, Like Sister! Meet Bukunmi Oluwasina’s little sister who’s also an Actress
- Must Read! 8 Signs they shows a Girl is Lonely
- Main Reason Why Drake drew Lil Wayne’s Tattoo on his Upper left arm
- 10 Signs Someone is Losing Interest in You
- Top 5 American Rappers who married their High School Sweetheart
- MAD O! Erigga Reacts As Scammers Try To Scam Him With Promise Of A Job Opportunity
- Akwa Ibom Lifts Ban On Wedding And Burial Ceremonies
- Bobrisky’s boyfriend buys him a brand new car for keeping their relationship secret (Video)
- “Stop Using My Pictures To Sell Fake Items” – Toke Makinwa Warns IG Marketer (Photo)
- Solskjaer Gives Update On Squad Ahead Of BourneMouth Clash
- APC Fires Back At PDP Over Claims Of Plotting To Derail Edo Election
- Read charge sheet of Hushpuppi’s crimes as he appeared in court today
- Who Is Ruston Kelly? Facts On The Singer-Songwriter – Warritatafo
- Man orders N230k iPhone XS Max from Computer village but gets well-packaged metallic object (Photos)
- Giada De Laurentiis’ Red, White, and Blue Salad Is a Must for the 4th of July Weekend
- Sadiya Umar Farouq calls for strong laws against rape offenders
- Potential fireworks shortage as America celebrates 4th of July holiday
- “Hushpuppi tried to steal $124 million from an English Premier League Club” — US Federal prosecutors officially charge Hushpuppi for fraud; faces 20 years in US prison.
- City Hall admits new budget dismantles unit for placard crackdown
- Hydroxychloroquine can help save hospitalized COVID-19 patients ― study
- A Few Billie Eilish’s Songs Made It to the ’13 Reasons Why’ Soundtracks
- Trump’s 4th of July military air show to fly from Boston, over NYC to DC
- Pacers’ Victor Oladipo won’t play in bubble due to re-injury risk
- Machine Gun Kelly Wears Bad Boy Shirt After Megan Fox Date – Warritatafo
- Tesco demands supplier price cuts in discount battle
- BREAKING: Benue gov’s wife, son, staff tests positive for COVID-19
- Nigerian Law School audit uncovers fraud, cleaner paid N32m, staff gets N36m dressing allowance
- ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’: Aisha Tyler Once Voiced a Character in a Popular Video Game Franchise
- Man rapes, impregnates 14-year-old girl In Sokoto, throws baby in bush
- NBA, union agree on 29 approved social justice messages for jerseys
- ‘This Is Us’: 3 Performances That Prove Chris Sullivan Deserves All the Awards
- Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Desperados’ on Netflix, a Hapless Rom-Com with an All-Too-Appropriate Title
- 10 Things We Have Learnt In This Corona Virus Pandemic
- Man, 72, arrested for pushing 86-year-old out of elevator ‘to protect him and wife against Coronavirus’
- 2023: What counts against Igbo Presidency
- ’90 Day Fiancé’: Fans Speculate That Elizabeth Potthast’s Family Is Trying to Get Their Own Spinoff
- UN staffers put on leave after video surfaces of sex act in official car
- Sports anchor Dan O’Toole says his 1-month-old daughter is missing
- Christina Ricci Seen Without Wedding Ring 1 Day After Divorce Filing – Warritatafo
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Star Rhea Seehorn Explains Kim Wexler’s ‘Erratic’ and ‘Reckless’ Action in Season 5
- Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre cried ‘tears of joy’ after Ghislane Maxwell’s arrest