By Victor Young
Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association, NECA, has raised the alarm that 74.2 per cent of businesses have stopped operations due to COVID-19 pandemic.
At a briefing, weekend, in Lagos, acting President of NECA,Taiwo Adeniyi, disclosed that 15.8 per cent of businesses were either fully on site or teleworking.
While commending the Federal Government’s efforts through various stimulus packages to aid small and medium scale enterprises, SMES, NECA lamented that organised businesses were basically left in the lurch to weather the challenges of COVID19 pandemic alone.
Adeniyi said: “With the view of gauging the specific impact of COVID-19 on businesses to aid our advocacy efforts, we conducted a research into the effects of the pandemic on businesses. Outcome of the research showed, among others, that 74.2 per cent of surveyed enterprises have stopped operating due to COVID-19, while 15.8 per cent are either fully on site or teleworking.
‘’Over 90 per cent of surveyed enterprises noted that limited cash-flow was an impediment to operations and over 90 per cent stated that demand for their goods and services had significantly reduced.
‘’The disruption of supply chains resulted in 78.2 per cent of enterprises having supply challenges as suppliers were unable to fulfill orders.”
He said the body commended government at all levels for efforts so far made to curtail the spread of the virus in Nigeria.
Effects of restrictions on businesses
Adeniyi noted that the guidelines and protocols initiated by the Presidential Task Force were needful, though sometimes late and hardly enforced.
He said: ‘’We note the political will that necessitated the imposition of significant restrictions in the movement of persons and goods practically all over the country, especially in states of Lagos, Ogun, and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, and the varying degrees of restrictions on movement of persons and goods, including public gatherings and markets within states.
“The effects of the various restrictions on businesses prompted the Federal Government to introduce fiscal and monetary measures to ameliorate the impact on businesses and save the economy from further collapse.
‘’Worthy of commendation is the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN’s, N50 billion credit facility to households, Small and Medium Enterprises most affected by the pandemic, N100 billion loan to the health sector and N1 trillion to the manufacturing sector.
‘’In addition, the interest rates on all CBN interventions programmes were revised downwards from nine per cent to five per cent, and a one-year moratorium was introduced, effective March 1, 2020.
Solicits govt’s support
“While we commend these efforts, we wish to state with concern that organised businesses were basically left in the lurch to weather the challenges alone. With many businesses closed down and many others on the verge of bankruptcy, we had urged government to give attention and support to businesses to ensure their survival and competitiveness.”
Source: Vanguard News
What will make you commit suicide?
- Why We Beat Chelsea – West Ham Manager, David Moyes
- Major Shakeup In NNPC As Chief Operation Officer Abruptly Resigns
- “I Don’t Eat Meat Or Chicken” – DJ Cuppy Reveals Why
- Naira Value Crashes as Liquidity Crisis Increase
- Breaking: Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19, aged 65
- Edo Elections: Wike Slams APC Candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu
- 3 Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Remained Loyal And Defended Hushpuppi Since His Arrest
- Nigerian Woman Welcomes Twins After 11 Years Of Marriage – See Photos
- Billionaire Daughter, DJ Cuppy Reveals Why She Doesn’t Eat Meat Or Chicken
- See What Ned Nwoko Said When His Senior Wife, Laila Paid Regina Daniels A Visit After Her Child Delivery
- Npower news for Thursday, 2nd July 2020
- “Nigerians got talent” – See how people reacted to a cake which looks like a building site
- Do You Know That Hushpuppi Has Two Children ?. Meet Daisy, One Of Hushpuppi’s Beautiful Babymamas
- BBN: Frodd Uncovers Why His Relationship With Esther Didn’t Work Out
- “This is not my baby” – Regina Daniels finally clears the air about the baby going viral as her son
- New Song: Kosere – What If ft Pasuma (Prod. By Boldface)
- 1xBet to give away 100 cool smartphones in the new 1xGalaxy promotion
- 20-Year-Old Groundnut Seller And Rape Victim Gives Birth To Triplets (Photos)
- It is only in Ghana that Some men Think Women Cannot Become Successful on Their Own – Hajia4real
- Edo Guber: Ganduje heads 49-member APC National Campaign Council
- YAWA! “I Don Make 6 Girls Cry This Year, My Target Na 20” Man Plans To Take Revenge On Other Ladies For what His Girlfriend Did To Him
- “Fear Women” Is Trending On Twitter. See Some Of The Best Stories As Men Share Their Experiences
- 54-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Defiling 12-Year-Old Girl In Ogun
- Khloé Kardashian Giving Another Chance With Tristan After Spending Lockdown Together
- US To Take Over Hushpuppi And Woodberry Arrest
- ‘Conan’ to ditch quarantine, tape at LA comedy club Largo
- Meghan McCain Turns on the GOP: “People Are Really Starting to Jump Ship”
- Prosecutors announce Ghislaine Maxwell charges at press conference
- Bukayo Saka signs new long-term Arsenal contract
- COVID-19: Positive cases, deaths spike as PTF lifts interstate travels
- ‘The Office’: Why 1 Character Still Gives Fans the Creeps
- Real Madrid vs Getafe: Why I excluded Hazard from squad – Zidane
- Christina Ricci gets protective order against husband James Heerdegen
- CMD tests positive for COVID-19 in Ondo
- World Athletics “very disappointed” after Russia fails to pay anti-doping fine
- Real Madrid officially confirms transfer deal for Achraf Hakimi
- ‘Dark’ on Netflix Season 3 Episode 6 Recap: “Light And Shadow”
- San Francisco to end mug shot release in effort to stop perpetuating racial stereotypes
- Download Koker – Bad Mp3
- “Life has no guarantee, your enjoyment is your greatest asset” – Cubana Chiefpriest advises (photos)
- Labour tells FG to reverse new Petroleum Pump Price
- Anambra Central traditional rulers reject governorship zoning, vows to support best candidate
- We’ll stop illegal appointments by Chief Executives — FCC Commissioner
- Panic over Rivers mortuaries littered with corpses
- NYC schools will reopen in September, de Blasio says
- 14-year-old girl flees home to cohabit with Facebook lover
- Khloé Kardashian Decided to Get Back Together With Tristan Thompson for 1 Reason
- ‘Jealous’ family dog mauls newborn babies to death in Brazil
- AFN Crisis: Court rules in favour of Gusau, Ministry kicks
- WHO issues warning as domestic flights resume in Nigeria, African countries
- Vincent Okobi, ex-Nigerian Ambassador to Togo is dead
- How ‘Star Wars’ Inspired David Corenswet to Become an Actor
- BBNaija Season 5: Potential Housemates on quarantine ahead of July 19 premiere
- COVID-19: FG warns against rejection, delayed testing of emergency patients
- Oduenyi: I want to play in Austria Bundesliga