The Enugu State Ad hoc Expert Medical Advisory Committee (EMAC) on de-escalation of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) transmission has advised the state government to put in place stricter enforcement measures that will help contain the spread of the virus in the state.
Briefing newsmen in Enugu on their findings so far, Prof. Emmanuel Ejim, who is the Chairman of the 12-man committee, recently constituted by Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, harped on the urgent need for the enforcement of “compulsory wearing of face masks, observing of physical distancing and ensuring hand hygiene”.
The committee, which has a two-week duration to submit its report, was mandated to engage with leaders of various religious groups, market associations, professional associations, labour unions, National Union of Road Transport Workers Enugu State Chapter, Association of Tricycle Riders Transport Union, civil society groups, organized private sector and all other relevant stakeholders.
It was also mandated to “recommend urgent and effective measures for de-escalation of transmission of Coronavirus infection in Enugu State, with due regard to all extant Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) protocols for containment of the spread of the COVID-19”.
During the press briefing, Prof. Ejim said that their findings revealed that the stakeholders they interfaced with acknowledged the existence of COVID-19 but expressed concerns that the commitment and capacity to enforce the necessary preventive measures “were all being undermined by several factors that we continue to unearth”.
He pointed out that “a key recommendation therefore, will be for the government to broaden and deepen the enforcement of the use of face masks amongst citizenry and penalize defaulters so as to drive home the importance of these key preventive measures”.
The Chairman who expressed worries that many people do not still believe that COVID-19 is real, disclosed that the stakeholders were of the opinion that “seeing is believing” and that the government should involve the services of the neighborhood watch groups and forest guards in enforcement of COVID-19 prevention advisories in the rural areas “where it seems very little has changed despite the escalation of the outbreak”.
While employing the media to cooperate with the government in creating more awareness that the pandemic is not a “scam”, Prof. Ejim stressed that “this is clearly an indication of a suboptimal risk communication and a challenge all of us must face head on, if we are to save our lives and that of those in our communities”.
According to him, “we therefore have evidence from stakeholders across the markets, transport sector, healthcare system, religious bodies and the security operatives to call on government to strongly consider putting in place stricter enforcement measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the state”.
The chairman explained that chief among the measures is the universal use of breathable (cloth) face masks by all, stating that “this remains the top evidence-based intervention that demonstrably reduces the transmission of COVID-19; particularly when combined with strict social distancing and restriction of crowding”.
Noting that the outbreak has continued to be a serious concern for all responsible citizens, Prof. Ejim consequently called on “our brothers and sisters to adhere to publicized preventive measures of social distancing, universal face mask use, hand hygiene practices and most importantly self isolating at home if “one” has lost his/her sense of smell/taste or if you have a fever”.
In his brief remark, the committee secretary, Dr. Chinemerem Dan Onwuliri, emphasized “the need for the people of the state to conduct their own personal risk assessment” to enable them regulate their daily public activities in order to reduce the spread of the viral disease.
What will make you commit suicide?
- 10 Forbidden Places In The World You Are Not Allowed To Visit (Photos)
- Have You Heard About The “Temple of Pythons” in Benin: See Photos of How it Looks Like
- FBI Reveals The $15 Million Stolen By Woodberry From Two Chicago Based Company May Not Be Retrieved.. READ WHY
- Okunnu shares beautiful photos of her Daughter, Ayomide Who Just Completed High School in Canada
- Mide Martins reveals she didn’t marry Afeez Owo for his looks
- Adedimeji Lateef weds ‘girlfriend’ Adebimpe Oyebade…fans react (photos)
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Actress in The World
- Makeup artist, Deborah Tushima allegedly slumps and dies while dancing at her birthday party (PICS)
- Lady With Massive Behind Causes Stir On Facebook (Photos & Video) )
- Why Ajimobi’s Wife Denied Oyo Deputy gov Access to Husband’s 8th-day Fidau Prayer
- Adeniyi Johnson Shares Photos Showing How He And Wife, Seyi Edun, Behave When They Meet On Set (PICS)
- Dubai Decide To Build An Underwater Floating Train. See photos
- Ex-LASIMRA boss, Jide Odekunle, dies of COVID-19 complications in Lagos
- Kano Hisbah impound tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol
- Meet The Man That Exposed Hushpuppi And Woodberry to The FBI
- See Photo of Jaden Smith and his father will Smith that has got people talking (see screenshots)
- I Would Like To Marry Lyta’- IG Model, Coco Brown Tells Regina Daniels’ Ex, Somadina
- ‘Ned Dey Enjoy O’ – Social Media User Says After Seeing Ned’s Moroccan Wife’s Photo
- Actor Adedimeji Lateef marries his girlfriend Adebimpe Oyebade
- What Daniel Radcliffe ‘Got Away With’ While Filming ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend’
- Nigerian Musician, Skiibii Shows Off His New Mansion On His 28th Birthday (Photos)
- Kandi Burruss’ Husband Todd Begs Daughter Blaze To Say ‘Dada’ — Watch – Warritatafo
- Laide Bakare Shares location Pictures Of New Movie “OGO TUTUN”
- Popular Comedian, AY Makun & His Daughter Show Their Dance Moves In Video
- Two bodies recovered from the Hudson River near Jersey City on July 4
- ‘Chicago P.D.’ Fans Miss Erin But Know There’s No Hope She’ll Return
- As private sector bleeds, NYC government has barely even begun belt tightening
- ‘RHONY’: Ramona Singer Agrees With Fan Saying She’s Getting a Bad Edit
- Who Are the Stars of Netflix’s ‘Baby-Sitters Club’?
- 6-year-old boy killed in San Francisco shooting
- Nuts and bolts of governance
- Eric and Leida on Why They Think They’re the Least Favorite ’90 Day Fiancé’ Couple
- Nigeria: Contribution of non-oil exports to economic growth
- Brad Pitt Says Face Masks Are ‘Considerate’ In Resurfaced Video – Warritatafo
- Republicans need to unite in defense of America’s culture
- New York’s Republican Party needs to be ready for Democrats to screw up
- ‘The Office’: This Fan Favorite Arc From the Series ‘Could Have Been Its Own Movie’
- What new NYC budget does under cover of ‘defunding the NYPD’
- Nigeria records 544 new COVID-19 cases as total jumps to 28,711
- #Coronavirus: 13 UK universities ‘could go bust without bailout’
- LASTMA officer commits suicide after stabbing his lover in Lagos
- Rip Van Winkle: reopening in one Long Island town
- Botswana seek answers as probe into mysterious elephant deaths begin
- Illegal weekend fireworks lit up Southern California, sparking several hundred blazes
- When Led Zeppelin Dove Into Samba on a Wild ‘In Through the Out Door’ Track
- ‘Survivor’ Season 45 Could Be Epic if the Producers Use This 1 Fan Theme and Cast
- Daughter of slain Finest Miosotis Familia remembers hero mom, asks for cop respect
- Princess Diana Had the ‘Best Vacation’ at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Colorado Home
- Photographer sets up blind date photo-shoot between man and woman who were meeting for the first time (Photo)
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 5’: Do Fans Believe Alexis Mateo or India Ferrah After the Snatch Game Episode?
- With vandalism and personal threats, protests have gone beyond ‘peaceful’
- How Did Demi Lovato and Her Boyfriend Max Ehrich Meet?
- Remember When Kylie Jenner and Jaden Smith Dated?
- Conte expects Inter players to be angry after Bologna defeat
- NFL training camp rules set high bar for players to return from coronavirus