The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, has disclosed why the federal government is reluctant in reopening schools in the country
NCDC’s Head of Risk Communication, Yahya Disu said poor public perception and compliance to health protocol on COVID-19 prevention was responsible for government’s refusal to reopen schools.
Disu spoke during a webinar hosted by Plan International Nigeria’s Country Director, Hussaini Abdu, with support from the European Union, UN, over the weekend.
He maintained that reopening of schools will further spread the virus, hence they must remain locked.
Disu explained that children were at risk of contracting the virus due to their inability to comply with the protocols.
He said: “The risk perception by the public is still very low and it’s because our population structure consists mostly of youth who may have the disease and not have symptoms.
“Reopening schools will further spread the disease. If there is a good level of compliance, then we could consider school reopening.
“School children are likely not going to comply and it could spread the disease among them as majority of our pupils go to school in vehicles and the transport sector is known to have a poor record of compliance.”
The federal government had shut down schools as measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
A few days ago, the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba had said majority of parents were against the reopening of schools.
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via WhatsApp: +2348034798719. Email: email@example.com.
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Native doctor spotted taking his ‘girlfriend’ shopping in Benin (Video)
- 4.48M Nigerians Applied For N-Power So Far – Umar Farouq
- “Dating a yahoo boy is the most dangerous thing any girl should indulge in” – Lady narrates how her boyfriend almost used her for money ritual in Asaba
- Ohio army veteran who refused to wear face mask dies of COVID-19
- 602 repentant Boko Haram members denounce membership
- COVID-19: Nigerian govt hints on Coronavirus being airborne
- [ICYMI] COVID-19: Lagos records 12 deaths within 24 hours
- My Wife Still Cooks My Meals And Serves Me Herself – Pastor EA Adeboye
- 602 repentant Boko Haram swears oath of allegiance to Nigeria
- Judge demands information on Roger Stone’s commutation
- PDP stakeholders speak on call for Abia Speaker’s resignation
- Gov. Cuomo produces old-school poster glorifying coronavirus response
- Christine Quinn reveals Justin Hartley, Chrishell Stause went to therapy before split
- Video: Fresh trouble for Magu
- Human Rights Group charges President Buhari to sack Akpabio, Malami
- Singer Waje Weighs In On Nigerian Men Who Won’t Allow Their Widowed Mothers Remarry
- Kansas father, girlfriend charged in murder of his 3-year-old daughter
- Omo-Agege explains reasons for passing Sexual Harassment bill into law
- Alaska Airlines flight turns around after passenger threatens to ‘kill everybody’
- Giants won’t sign Leonard Williams to long-term contract extension
- Edo: Mass defection from APC, signpost of defeat for Ize-Iyamu ― PDP
- Police nab man for allegedly raping minor after buying N20 sachet water
- Dale Resteghini says he’s gotten death threats over controversial new project
- DJ Cuppy Shares Release Date For New Song, “Jollof On The Jet”
- Northern House of Assembly speakers lament security situation in region
- Weinstein’s accusers want federal judge to block global settlement
- NAPTIP rescues 107 human trafficking victims at Kano airport
- Nigeria: The Problem of Memory
- Brooklyn Beckham’s fiancée Nicola Peltz comes from billions
- Devastated 4-year-old loses it over lack of ‘fun’ during pandemic lockdown
- Video: News Round Up
- U.S.-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi
- Vandal dumps red paint on ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural outside Trump Tower