Watching with consternation the fall out of events, actions, and inactions of our Nigerian leaders on mitigating the negative impact of COVID-19 Pandemic disruptions on our social and economic lives.
As a young dynamic business and entrepreneurship writer, and author cum small business owner, what came into my mind as we navigate the storms of COVID-19, was a common English phrase Adages, Proverbs, first recorded in Fuller’s Gnomologia, 1732: ‘A stitch in time saves nine’ which was translated to literally, solve the problems right now! Why procrastinating? If we, as a nation wants to break away from past mistakes, and present mistakes, we should hold the bull by the horn right now.
And avoid the roads of political expediency. That is exactly what the stitch in time simply stood for. Promptly address issues posed by Coronavirus. By quickly sewing up of a small hole or tear in a piece of material, so saving the need for more stitching at a later date when the whole has become larger.
Covid-19 Pandemic presents a golden opportunity for these present crop of Nigeria political leaders to stamp their names in Nigeria history as among those who steered out our economic ship from sinking into recession and depression caused by Covid-19.
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo painted the obvious while presenting the report of the Economic Sustainability Committee to President Buhari. According to their report, the Fed might experience a shortfall of about N185bn monthly allocations to three tiers of government.
Some of their recommendations in terms of cash transfer, MarketMoni and TradeMoni schemes should not be repeated again. These programs did not impact the standard of living to those whom they claimed benefited from it.
It was more of an idea conceived to win more votes during the 2019 general elections. Now that general elections are over, investigation and facts on the ground proved that it was not technically managed to reach the people and vulnerable in our local communities. Why pushing monies into those programs that have not lifted the beneficiaries out of poverty? Rather the majority of those funds were diverted into political appointees and cronies.
Our leaders should sample opinions and learn to listen to people they claimed to govern. The majority of Nigerian are saying, change strategy now!
How Do You Solve Problems and Re-start the Economy?
- Confident Building: As a president, governor, legislators, ministers, and local level leaders alike, you are leading the giant of Africa, a population of over 250 million people. Nigerians need to believe our leaders are in control, they are to have confidence that you can make smart decisions in tough times. History of 1987, post-2015-2016 Nigeria recession facts and figures have exposed the inadequacies and shortcomings of our political leaders. The Nigerian Finance Minister–, Zainab Ahmed, was quoted as saying: Nigerian economy going into recession, might contract by -8.9%. The Nigerian economy is expected to record negative growth as it slides into recession, due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and crash in oil prices. Some of us at the private sector drivers were waiting for her and the economic team to come up with a strategic economic well thought plans on how to mitigate the impact of Covid-19 in Nigerian citizens and her economy. But what happened? Borrowing from every part of the world you can imagine! Creating more anxiety and panic into the already saturated system? Doing directly opposite of what other country leaders and economic drivers of their economies does. What are things other economic
leaders are doing in this most difficult time in the history of mankind?
- Identify every sector of the economy and create loans or grants to put business and workers back to work
- Identify informal and formal sectors with the worst hit on cash flow. How do you do that? Bank statement within the period under review. Data collections and analysis can help determine those who qualified for COVID-19 Financial Support from the Fed. Verification of claims can be done by a site visit. Visit market places, collect your data. How many households were affected and build palliative around it after the collection of data and acceptable community standard of distributions government assistance? That is devoid of any form of affiliation. Although CBN came up with a similar package called COVID-19 Support Loan being handled by NIRSAL Microfinance Bank. Which is shrouded in secrecy and lack of openness to the Nigerian public and desperate applicants whom their source of living has been wiped out by Covid-19 lockdowns and economic disruptions?
- Create an Economic Recovery and Protection Structure whose mandate is to identify, difference size of the business, SMEs, and large firms. Putting the structure and standard template
- Capture Informal and Formal Sectors with blueprint plans on how they are going to be protected through financial assistance to survive the hardship and keep their business afloat until economic life returns to normal.
- Avoid perpetual lockdowns of schools, Kingdom of God, Mosques, curfews, restrictions, and ban on inter-state movements of people, goods, and services. Rather, advocate safety, mitigation, and prevention measures against Coronavirus. The solutions to COVID-19 Pandemic is neither here no there. Countries like France, USA, UK and other European countries that are worst hit are opening up their economies, relaxing down on restrictions, opening their entry points such as international airports with trick health and safety measures to check, testing medical equipment to identify the asymptomatic and symptomatic person(s) for isolation and proper treatment to avoid spread. Following NCDC guidelines and make sure there is at least 70-80% level of compliance. And constant monitoring, evaluation, report, and reviews by local, states, and Fed through Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 (PTF).
The risk and consequences perpetual of the inter-states movement ban are more devastating! The number of armed robbery and banditry increases, rape increases, suicide increases, psychological trauma, people sleeping into extreme poverty, businesses will shut down, government sources of revenues will disappear due to lack of economic activities will disappear gradually. The result will be terrible! God forbids that we get into that worst stage!
NWALI Tochukwu F. Author, “Entrepreneur as a Disruptive Thinker & Innovator”
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Pete Edochie And Children SNUBS Actress Rita Edochie’s Daughter’s Wedding
- Rudeboy Celebrates His Younger Brother Maduka For Making Him Proud
- Terrorists Demand N900m as Ransom for Victims Abducted in Fresh Kaduna Attack
- Moment Dead Man Was Carried On Foot For Burial After All Cars That Conveyed Him Developed A Fault (VIDEO)
- Shatta Wale In “BESTIE” Trouble; Efia Odo Discredits Benedicta Gafah (Photo)
- I Still Can’t Believe You Chose Me As Your Only Woman – Keche Andrew’s Wife After He Assured Her Of His Love
- Mr Ibu’s 8-Year-Old Beautiful Daughter Becomes The Talk Of The Internet With These Adorable Photos
- La Liga: Barcelona Sign Brazilian Striker
- Yahoo Boy Confesses How He Posed As Gay To Defraud A Client (Video)
- ‘I’m Going To Ensure Nana Addo Gets A Second Term By Campaigning For Him’ – Agya Koo Reveals
- PDP Speaks On Sponsoring Agbede Protest In Edo State
- 3 Nollywood Actresses Who Allegedly Had A Romantic Affair With Actor, Lateef Adedimeji (PHOTOS)
- To Copy These Tune Press 89 – Tacha Shades Mercy Eke After She Also Launched Her Merchandise
- Popular Yoruba Actresses Whose Husbands Are Also Actors
- I Am Not Going Astray – Actor Lateef Adedimeji Replies Fan Who Begged Him To Stop Wearing ‘Earrings’ (VIDEO)
- 10 Nigerian Billionaires Whose Wives Are Young Enough To Be Their Daughter
- Mercy Johnson & Her Baby, Divine-Mercy Give Us Some Lovely Moment – VIDEO
- DOWNLOAD: Sugarbana – Shalaye ft Barry Jhay X Bella Shmurda
- Suarez Concedes La Liga Title To Real Madrid, Reveals Why Barca Lost
- Watch Mercy Johnson Giving Her Husband ‘Wahala’ Whilst Taking A Simple Photo – (VIDEO)
- Akuapem Poloo REVEALS A Secret About Her & People Are Shocked
- Davido REVEALS Who Inspired His Relationship With Chioma
- Photos Of Afia Schwarzenegger And ‘Date Rush’ Star, Ignatius Sparks Dating Rumors
- Keche Andrew Proves To Critics He Doesn’t Love Wife Because Money, Pens Down A Romantic Note To Her
- Royal fathers, others hail Gov. Ugwuanyi’s life-saving projects
- PPMC: How ex-MD Momoh used wife to launder $700m – ICPC alleges
- Meet The Celebrity Whose Wrist Watch Is More Than Davido’s Net Worth
- Most Americans believe their jobs will never return to normal
- Paris Hilton lifts Louis Vuitton bags to stay fit
- Anambra: Two die after inhaling charcoal fumes in bedroom
- Portland protesters set up autonomous zone in city park
- Peter Okoye Warns Nigerians To Stop Doubting Existence Of Coronavirus
- Doctors treating COVID-19 patients in Ogun join strike
- Aside The Best 3 Dancehall Artistes In Ghana The Rest Are Sleeping – Lil Win
- 79% of New Yorkers open to homeschooling after coronavirus, poll finds
- BREAKING: Suspended EFCC Boss, Ibrahim Magu Released From Detention
- Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Intelligence’ On Peacock, Where David Schwimmer’s Brash NSA Agent Tries To Take Over A Nerdy British Cyber Security Group
- ‘Psych 2’ Delivered a Solid ‘This Is Us’ Burn
- Scientist warn San Andreas Fault earthquake more likely after Ridgecrest quakes
- Trump: MS-13 members caught in NY — and one may face death penalty
- Magu’s lawyer confirms release, mum on bail conditions
- Ex-assistant recalls the moment Johnny Depp asked Amber Heard for a divorce
- Sandra Ikeji Shows Off Baby Bump As She Prepares To Welcome First Child
- One killed, four others hurt in Henry Hudson Parkway crash
- BREAKING: Ganduje reshuffles cabinet
- 15 persons fingered in N5.778bn missing pensions fund in Niger
- Want to live to 122? Play the harmonica
- Trademark hog really just wants to help Washington find new NFL name
- Nollywood actress Uche Elendu as she clocks 34
- Most Americans had a tech ‘wake-up’ call during coronavirus lockdown
- Magu released from detention
- NBA bubble’s snitch hotline busts Jimmy Butler for dribbling
- Ghislaine Maxwell faked being Epstein’s girlfriend, former pal claims
- Senate passes bills for City University of Tech Auchi, Edo,
- Video: Mercy Johnson Sings For Her Baby As She Embarks On Maternity Leave