Lebanon’s foreign ministry has summoned the US ambassador over remarks criticising Hezbollah, a day after a judge slapped a controversial ban on local media covering her statements, state media said Sunday.
Foreign Minister Nassif Hitti “has summoned US ambassador Dorothy Shea for a meeting tomorrow (Monday) at 15:00 (12:00 GMT) in light of her latest statements”, the state-run National News Agency reported.
In an interview with Saudi-owned news channel Al-Hadath aired on Friday, Dorothy Shea said the United States had “grave concerns about the role of Hezbollah, a designated terrorist organisation”.
“It has syphoned off billions of dollars that should have gone into government coffers so that the government can provide basic services to its people,” she said.
“It has obstructed some of the economic reforms the Lebanese economy so desperately needs,” she added.
On Saturday, a judge in the southern city of Tyre issued an order banning local and foreign media working in the country from airing or publishing locally comments by Shea for a year because of her remarks on Hezbollah.
The Lebanese Shiite movement and its allies command a majority in parliament and the cabinet.
Judge Mohamad Mazeh said Shea’s comments incited sectarian strife and served to “turn the Lebanese people against each other”.
Lebanon’s Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah on Sunday condemned the ambassador’s “hostile behaviour”, saying her remarks constituted an “attack” on the country’s “sovereignty and dignity”.
He called on Lebanese authorities, and especially the foreign ministry, to “compel the ambassador to respect international treaties that define the duties of diplomats”.
– ‘Pathetic’ –
The State Department issued a fiery response to the judge’s order on Saturday, stating: “Hezbollah’s attempt to silence the Lebanese media is pathetic.”
In Lebanon itself, Information Minister Manal Abdel Samad dismissed the judge’s order, saying: “No one has the right to ban the media from covering the news.”
Local broadcaster LBC said it would not abide by the ruling, calling it a “non-binding and unenforceable” decision that violated press freedom.
A senior judicial source told AFP that Mazeh had “overstepped his prerogatives as a judge”.
Mazeh responded to the criticism on Sunday, saying his “conscious is clear” and that he was “fully convinced” he had made the right decision.
He was prepared, however, to resign if there was a judicial review.
On Sunday afternoon, hundreds of people demonstrated in Beirut’s southern suburbs, a Hezbollah stronghold, expressing anger at the US and support of the judge.
They brandished the flags of Hezbollah and its Shiite ally Amal, as well as signs with slogans that read: “We’d rather die than be humiliated,” and “We are all Mohamad Mazeh.”
The dispute comes as Lebanon grapples with its worst economic crisis since the 1975-1990 civil war.
The Lebanese pound has nosedived against the dollar on the black market, sending prices soaring.
The Iran-backed Hezbollah has blamed Washington for the economic downturn, accusing it of preventing dollars from entering the cash-strapped country.
The United States and Israel have long designated Hezbollah a terrorist group and urged allies to follow suit.
Hezbollah is the only group to have kept its weapons since the end of Lebanon’s civil war on the grounds of defending the country against Israel.
Source: Vanguard News
Nigerians reacts to the effect of Covid-19 lockdown
- Labour Minister, Ngige Padded NSITF Budget With N1.2 Billion, 5 SUVs, Installed Ex-Lover As New ED – Nelson
- LEAKED: Alleged Audio of Niger Delta Minister Godswill Akpabio offering ₦70Million for Bombing of Pipelines ( Listen)
- FG agreed To Pay Salaries Of Private School Teachers -Yomi Otubela
- “Did Your Husband Beat You Again” Reactions as Mercy Aigbe Shares new pictures with stitches on her head (PICS)
- BBN: Nina Ivy And Her Husband Celebrates Their Son, Denzel Kelechukwu (Photo)
- Mercy Aigbe, Others Congratulate Ini Edo Over Akwa-Ibom State Re-Appointment
- There Is A Plot To Cause Crisis In Iruland – Oniru Cries Out
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, July 13, 2020
- #Anambra: Man’s body found in a bush with his hands and legs tied (graphic photos)
- Mike Edwards And His Pregnant Wife, Perri Enjoys Vacation In Spain (Photos)
- Yawa Burst! Toke Makinwa Gives A Savage Reply To A Doctor Who Disrespected Her On Twitter
- NSCDC arrests 8 suspects, intercepts 3 motorcycles in Oyo [PHOTOS]
- Nicola Peltz wears Victoria Beckham dress for engagement photos with Brooklyn
- Protests rock Ondo PDP secretariat over alleged manipulation of delegates’ list
- Who is Jimmy’s Girlfriend Mia on ‘Yellowstone’? Meet Eden Brolin
- Fear Allah, 550 Billion Recovered Loot Is 100% Domicile In CBN And It Doesn’t Generate Interest – Magu
- “I have your mate at home that I am taking care of” – Thelma slams woman who called her an “unfortunate celebrity”
- “Stop exposing your personal pregnancy life on social media” – Kemi Olunloyo reacts to the death of Nicole Thea
- ‘Chief Hunter’, Maigiwa Abducted in Borno
- BREAKING: UEFA Lifts Champions League Ban Against Manchester City
- Bobrisky’s Contender posts Picture Of Himself In Wedding Gown
- “Dating a yahoo boy is the most dangerous thing any girl should indulge in” – Lady narrates how her boyfriend almost used her for money ritual in Asaba
- Gov. Cuomo produces old-school poster glorifying coronavirus response
- Amber Heard allegedly threw ‘haymaker’ at Johnny Depp after he lost $750M
- Native doctor spotted taking his ‘girlfriend’ shopping in Benin (Video)
- Hot Music: Topzee – Asiko
- Cam Newton-Bill Belichick Patriots combo is ‘terrifying:’ Greg Van Roten
- ‘Downton Abbey’ star wishes she knew why show was so popular
- Jennifer Lopez, Alex Rodriguez Mets bid adds NFL star power
- “I Don’t Have Any Account On Social Media” – Gov. Umahi
- Lori Loughlin, Mossimo Giannulli sell mansion for $10M below asking price
- Magu: Pastor Omale breaks silence on alleged laundering of funds for suspended EFCC boss
- Sane reports for first Bayern training session
- Cardi B celebrates Kulture’s birthday with hundreds of thousands in diamonds
- Tesla stock soars as S&P 500 inclusion appears imminent
- COVID-19: Taskforce accused of extortion as Bayelsa begins enforcement of face mask use
- DeSean Jackson accepts 94-year-old Holocaust survivor’s invite to visit Auschwitz
- Will ‘Yellowstone’ Season 3 Be on Peacock?
- ‘Broken Heart Syndrome’ has increased during coronavirus pandemic
- The best of Naya Rivera’s ‘Glee’ moments and 29-year career highlights
- Elon Musk on why he’s still backing Kanye West for president
- We’ll expose more looters in Nigeria – IPOB vows
- Edo guber: ‘Mass defection from APC, end of road signpost for Ize-Iyamu’ – PDP
- Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes takes a hit selling NYC townhouse
- Ohio army veteran who refused to wear face mask dies of COVID-19
- 602 repentant Boko Haram members denounce membership
- COVID-19: Nigerian govt hints on Coronavirus being airborne
- [ICYMI] COVID-19: Lagos records 12 deaths within 24 hours
- My Wife Still Cooks My Meals And Serves Me Herself – Pastor EA Adeboye
- 602 repentant Boko Haram swears oath of allegiance to Nigeria
- Judge demands information on Roger Stone’s commutation
- PDP stakeholders speak on call for Abia Speaker’s resignation
- Gov. Cuomo produces old-school poster glorifying coronavirus response
- Christine Quinn reveals Justin Hartley, Chrishell Stause went to therapy before split
- Video: Fresh trouble for Magu